PDA

View Full Version : Film holder brands to avoid.

Lachlan 717
26-Apr-2009, 18:03
I've been trying to work out which brand of 4x5 film holders to purchase.

Whilst there is myriad opinion on which brand Members prefer, I cannot find anything specific on which brands are rubbish.

Can you please let me know your thoughts on those brands best avoided and why?

Thanks,

Lachlan.

Gene McCluney
26-Apr-2009, 18:42
I haven't found a film holder of any brand that doesn't work well if it is not worn completely out. From the oldest wood holders to all metal holders to current "botique" holders. I cannot recommend a brand to avoid. I am speaking of holders in all sizes here, not just 4x5.

Merg Ross
26-Apr-2009, 18:48
I haven't found a film holder of any brand that doesn't work well if it is not worn completely out. From the oldest wood holders to all metal holders to current "botique" holders. I cannot recommend a brand to avoid. I am speaking of holders in all sizes here, not just 4x5.

That has also been my experience.

Oren Grad
26-Apr-2009, 19:01
There are only two brands of 4x5 holder available new - Fidelity and Toyo. Toyos have had the reputation of being somewhat better made, but in recent years some purchasers have reported receiving new Toyos with a strong residual solvent smell.

Odor aside, functionally both brands are fine, as are many older holders. There isn't any brand I've ever used, old or new, that I'd characterize as "rubbish".

John Kasaian
26-Apr-2009, 20:40
Rubsh 4x5 film holders? In a word: Tilt-all. There is no locking ridge on the wreched things. These were manufactured in China within the past few years and turn up cheap on ebay every so often.
Run from these as if the plague.

OTOH I've seen some very nice older off- brand film holders that work very well! Consider Fotac or Baco. Condition is everything of course, unless there s a gross design flaw a la Tilt-all.

My 4x5 faves are the older Riteway Graphic and Baco.

Happy hunting!

Merg Ross
26-Apr-2009, 20:59
Rubsh 4x5 film holders? In a word: Tilt-all. There is no locking ridge on the wreched things. These were manufactured in China within the past few years and turn up cheap on ebay every so often.
Run from these as if the plague.

OTOH I've seen some very nice older off- brand film holders that work very well! Consider Fotac or Baco. Condition is everything of course, unless there s a gross design flaw a la Tilt-all.

My 4x5 faves are the older Riteway Graphic and Baco.

Happy hunting!

Hi John, you are much better than I at finding obscure photo equipment. I have never seen a Baco film holder, but use a Baco tripod head on my 8x10. If it is an indication of other Baco products, their holders must be excellent.

I took a quick look at my holders currently loaded, and have the following: Riteway, Burke & James, Fidelity, Lisco, Graphic (Graflex) and Folmer (Graflex). Somewhere I also have an Agfa. All have served me well for many years, some for over fifty.

Is the Baco wooden?

Best,
Merg

Glenn Thoreson
26-Apr-2009, 21:05
I'm really glad to see that some folks think like I do. I see so much trash talk about this holder and that, especially the old wood holders. I use just about every brand made in the last 100 years and if it's in good condition, one is as good as another.

neil poulsen
27-Apr-2009, 02:37
Strictly plastic for me, usually Fidelity. I've heard that wood holders can result in stuff getting on the film.

Bruce Barlow
27-Apr-2009, 03:54
Used holders are available pretty inexpensively.

A few years ago, I bought a boatload of 5x7s that included a bunch of wooden ones. Over time, I've culled those and now use only plastic, the wooden ones showing too many signs of age and a little warpage.

A couple of the wooden ones were mahogany, and way too beautiful to just retire. I converted them into picture frames.

I'm thrilled with all my plastic holders in any size, 4x5 thru 8x10, most of which were bought used.

John O'Connell
27-Apr-2009, 05:26
The only filmholders that arouse strong feelings appear to be the Mido holders, which were an innovative design that worked for some people but not for others. Available only used.

John Kasaian
27-Apr-2009, 07:16
Hi Merg!

Yes the Bacos are wood and aluminium and estremely well buit. Someday I hpe to find some 5x7 Bacos. I also have some Agfas which are fine holders as well.

I think condition is far more important than the manufacturer, with the exception of the Tilt-alls where were obviously a design fluke.

Nor would I would I suggest that the OP shy away from wooden film holders (my 8x10 holders are pretty evenly split between plastic Liscos and wooden Graflexes) Just check each new to you holder with photopaper first to identify any leakers.

Cheers!

Brian Ellis
27-Apr-2009, 10:08
I doubt that any brand is inherently "rubbish." But somebody did a film flatness test that was published in one of the magazines years ago and the winner was a wood Graflex holder IIRC. I owned Linhof holders for a while and didn't care for them - they were heavier and thicker than "normal" holders because they're designed to accept plates as well as film. I also didn't care for some aspect of loading or unloading them, can't remember what it was. They also tend to be much more expensive than other holders. Other than that, I've been fine with every brand of plastic and wood holder I've ever owned. I did enjoy fixing up old wood holders and they're usually less expensive than modern plastic ones.

Archphoto
5-May-2009, 08:57
I am using Fidelity now, used to have them from Acra Swiss until they wore out.
The Acra's did have a pin that released the dark slide when in the back, great.
With Fidelity I have had problems with the hooks becomming too loose: a signal to replace the holder.

Peter

Laurent
14-May-2009, 01:34
I used Arca, Linhof, Toyo and Fidelity.

I only kept Toyos and Fidelity, because I wanted to standardize a bit.

I appreciated the Arca, for the bit that locks the slide unless the holder is in the camera, but they miss another lock that would help making the difference between an empty holder and a loaded holder. On some occasions, this caused me to open the holder to clean it and discover that there was a sheet in.

Toyon
24-Aug-2009, 06:57
Regarding the solvent smell of Toyo film holders. A few days in the air will exhaust about 90% of the odor. After that they only smell if you put your nose up next to them. Fortunately, it doesn't seem to effect the film.

Steve Hamley
24-Aug-2009, 07:02
The smell is a phenolic smell, same as a new circuit board to my nose - and only some holders. It does go away after time, and I've always liked Toyo holders. The 8x10s at least have another "lip" or "rail" that the end of the film slides under, like the side rails only at the end.

If the film is bowed a little, it'll drive you nuts until you learn to press down very slightly at the upper end to flatten the film. That's why I've always thought 8x10 Toyos might hold film a bit flatter.

Cheers, Steve

Sal Santamaura
24-Aug-2009, 07:24
Regarding the solvent smell of Toyo film holders. A few days in the air will exhaust about 90% of the odor. After that they only smell if you put your nose up next to them. Fortunately, it doesn't seem to effect the film.I prefer Toyo's 4x5 holders, but can't stand the stench. A pair that I purchased as a test have been "airing" in a well-ventilated space for more than two years. Still smell just as bad as when delivered. I'll have to live with the ten I purchased a dozen years ago and some newer Fidelities as backups.

If only Toyo would move production back to Japan where environmental controls might again motivate use of appropriate materials...

David Karp
24-Aug-2009, 07:42
I am in total agreement with John. The only holders I know of that are inherently rubbish are the Tiltalls. I have two. Would anyone like to buy them? :)

I have several wooden 5x7 holders of various brands (no Baco) and have yet to run into a problem.

Bob Salomon
24-Aug-2009, 08:45
BTW, I was recently in E.P. Levine in Boston and they have hundreds of film holders for sale as well as dozens of large format lenses (used) for sale. They had 45 and 57 holders and possibly some 810 holders.