PDA

View Full Version : Hills City, South Dakota in June

Peter De Smidt
26-Apr-2009, 10:54
I'm going to be spending a little over a week in late June in Hills City, South Dakota, which is in the Black Hills area. I've downloaded Photograph America Newsletter #59, which has some good info. Any other suggestions for good things/places to photograph? Any ghost town with neat weathered buildings? Favorite Badlands locations...

Bill_1856
26-Apr-2009, 12:15
I've only been to the Badlands once (1994), and found to my surprise that "they" seemed to go out of their way making it difficult to visit Wounded Knee to pay my respects. I couldn't go because I was in a gas guzzler, and it appeared that I would probably run out of fuel.
If you go there, please say a quiet apology to the spirits for me.

jnantz
26-Apr-2009, 17:59
i always liked sylvan lake in custer state park ...
murdo was fun lots of prairie and abandoned homesteads
and grain elevators ... and of course reptile gardens
and wall drug and the cemeteries in leed ...
i kind of wish i lived out there ...

john

Steve Hamley
28-Apr-2009, 17:44
In addition, try the Iron Mountain road, the road from Rapid City over past Steamboat Rock, and of course, the Badlands NP. You might also find some interesting industrial and architectural subjects up the mountain at Lead.

Cheers, Steve

Peter De Smidt
1-May-2009, 18:49
Thanks Guys!

Gene McCluney
2-May-2009, 05:17
I've only been to the Badlands once (1994), and found to my surprise that "they" seemed to go out of their way making it difficult to visit Wounded Knee to pay my respects. I couldn't go because I was in a gas guzzler, and it appeared that I would probably run out of fuel.
If you go there, please say a quiet apology to the spirits for me.

Do you mean there were no gas stations close enough to your locations?

Bill_1856
2-May-2009, 07:24
Do you mean there were no gas stations close enough to your locations?

It's been a while -- but yes, to the best of my recollection.

Steve Hamley
5-May-2009, 11:33
Peter,

I just realized no one mentioned the Needles Highway; that's a must. I'll try to post a snap later today.

Cheers, Steve

Jeff Bannow
5-May-2009, 12:02
You can see some of my work from last summer here - portfolio (http://www.jeffbannow.com/album/Portfolio/). Obviously, they are under the South Dakota section.

We loved it out there - spent 10 days and could have used a lot more. I found the Indian reservation a very depressing place, and I understand that you need permission to photograph there (not positive though). The badlands were beautiful. There are little cabins for rent in the park if you wanted to stay there.

Custer State Park is great as well - Iron Mtn Road, Needles Highway, lots of animals - burros, buffalo, mountain goats, etc. If you are into caving, there are a lot of really nice caves in the area to explore. It should be easy to avoid the touristy areas and explore nature.

Have fun!

Peter De Smidt
5-May-2009, 16:43
Thanks guys!

Warren Clark
5-May-2009, 17:20
Hi Peter,

I frequently travel to the Dakotas and all the previous postings are good
information. I wanted to mention an excellent German restaurant in Hill
City-- The Alpine Inn -- on the west side of the street downtown. Don't
miss it !

Warren Clark