PDA

View Full Version : using prontor professional shutter

Songyun
25-Apr-2009, 07:40
for copal shutter, you need an aperture scale.
how about prontor professional shutter? do they make aperture scale for each lens? I think I heard it some where that you can just use the aperture scale on the shutter and adjust it by yourself. Is that true?

a brand new copal shutter comes with a blank aperture scale, what about a brand new prontor professional shutter?

Arne Croell
25-Apr-2009, 08:36
Brand new? They haven't been made for a while. If you've been offered a new one, its NOS. However, since the aperture scales are lens specific, you should ask the optical companies that made lenses for Prontor Professional Shutters, i.e. Schneider and Rodenstock, whether they still have scales in stock for a specific lens, not Prontor (http://www.prontor.de/). If not, or if you want to adapt a Nikon or Fuji lens or something else, the guys at SK Grimes can probably make a scale for you.

Songyun
25-Apr-2009, 08:51
No, I don't have a brand new shutter, I just have a shutter come with an aperture scale of some lens. I was thinking for example, if you have a 180mm f5.6 scale, would it be possible to adjust it into a 210 f5.6 scale. unlike copal shutter, the prontor shutter has two screws on the back that you can adjust the distance. I don't know if I state it clear or not. Maybe when I have time I can take some photos.

Bob Salomon
25-Apr-2009, 09:02
Marflex got all our old aperture selectors and shutter speed selectors for the Prontor Professional. You might see if they still have any. The aperture selectors are shutter size and aperture range specific. The aperture scales on the shutter are the screw-in type. marflex@aol.com 252-652-4401

Songyun
25-Apr-2009, 09:29
Marflex got all our old aperture selectors and shutter speed selectors for the Prontor Professional. You might see if they still have any. The aperture selectors are shutter size and aperture range specific. The aperture scales on the shutter are the screw-in type. marflex@aol.com 252-652-4401

Thanks!

BennehBoy
25-Apr-2009, 15:19
You calibrate the shutter itself by moving screws on the rear plate - the aperture scales are only interchangeable in order to remove settings the lens can't achieve (f/5.6 on a lens with max aperture of f/8 for example) - Schneider can still do both the calibration and affix correct scales for you, I contacted them recently about it: of course this is only of use if it's a Schneider lens you need to calibrate a shutter for.