PDA

View Full Version : Kronar/Kronarette?

Emil Schildt
25-Apr-2009, 01:58
..anybody know about these lenses?

A friend of mine has the Oscar Simon "Kronar", and it looks almost like a Plasticca clone (with the yellow filter, an'all), but I havn't seen any pictures done with this lens..

Then I noticed a Oscar Simon "Kronarette" which is supposedly an "amateur version" of the Kronar..

I just bought the lens, and I am anxious to try it out when it arrives.

Till then, I'd love to get some information on the lens(es), if there are any out there..

(If interested, I know about another Kronarette that goes to auction soon....)

Ole Tjugen
25-Apr-2009, 04:18
Yes, it was sold as an "Artistic Portrait Lens", but Thiele lists it as 4 elements in 2 groups - i.e. not a Plastcca clone. The Kronarette is only listed in one version, 250mm f:4.5 "für Handkameras".

O. Simon is poorly documented, perhaps everything was destroyed along with the reast of Dresden. I have an Anastigmat f:7.2 which seems to be a 6-in-2 like a Dagor, not a triplet which is what's documented.

Emil Schildt
25-Apr-2009, 06:39
Thanks Ole. The one Iv'e bought is actually a 300mm - now we'll see.

there is one, as said, as Lot 652 here (250mm):

http://www.breker.com/LiveAuctions/

Emil Schildt
1-May-2009, 05:58
The lens have arrived.
It looks SO fine - a 300mm F4.5.

not totally surprisingly, it has no apertures, but quite surprisingly, it is fitten on a very nice working studio shutter, and also fitted on a large lens board..

I am in for a treat (sp?) I think.

Off to look at a matt screen, and maybe take some pictures...

Gene McCluney
1-May-2009, 08:22
The lens have arrived.
It looks SO fine - a 300mm F4.5.

not totally surprisingly, it has no apertures, but quite surprisingly, it is fitten on a very nice working studio shutter, and also fitted on a large lens board..

I am in for a treat (sp?) I think.

Off to look at a matt screen, and maybe take some pictures...

I thought a studio shutter was the aperture? It opens up to a pre-set (by the photographer) aperture when you use cable release?

Emil Schildt
1-May-2009, 08:30
I thought a studio shutter was the aperture? It opens up to a pre-set (by the photographer) aperture when you use cable release?

normally yes. I thought so too, but maybe as this is not a wollensak studio shutter, it is different..
It has the "Z" - "M" - `"O" settings, as the Wollensak, but no apertures...

Never nind - I'd proberly like to use it wide open anyway..

The images on the matt screen looks amazing!

Emil Schildt
3-May-2009, 03:31
first tests: