PDA

View Full Version : Rodenstock Grandagon 90 4.5 and recessed board

kub
23-Apr-2009, 15:21
Does anyone know if it is possible to mount the above lens on a recessed board? The lens is in copal 1 shutter. I have a copal 1 size recessed board but it doesn't fit.

My system is technika V

thanks,

Bob Salomon
23-Apr-2009, 15:25
Linhof does not make a recessed 1 board. The 90mm 4.5 uses a flat board on the IV, V and Master Technika.

kub
23-Apr-2009, 15:35
That's what I'm puzzled by, this can't be a linhof knock off, if it is, it must be work of a rogue machinist at linhof. It is identical in every respect to all other boards I have. The logo, the embossing of "west germany" on the back, the spacer, etc. Why would anyone else invent such a thing???

Bob Salomon
23-Apr-2009, 15:41
That's what I'm puzzled by, this can't be a linhof knock off, if it is, it must be work of a rogue machinist at linhof. It is identical in every respect to all other boards I have. The logo, the embossing of "west germany" on the back, the spacer, etc. Why would anyone else invent such a thing???

Without seeing it I can't tell you. Obviously it is an older board as W Germany hasn't been around for a while. What color is it?

kub
23-Apr-2009, 15:48
It is black and the typical gritty paint

Bob Salomon
23-Apr-2009, 15:54
It is black and the typical gritty paint

Post a picture of it or email it to me at bob@hpmarketingcorp.com

John Schneider
23-Apr-2009, 15:58
I have an older tan recessed board, genuine Linhof, for a #1 shutter that accepts my 120 Angulon just fine. The recess is a little larger than those I've seen of the newer black recessed board. N.B. the 120 Angulon is in a #1 Prontor Press, which may be a little smaller than a Copal 1.

kub
23-Apr-2009, 16:04
here is is

kub
23-Apr-2009, 17:52
hmm, Bob, do you have any information on 001026 item, I'm guessing it is a lens board related to prontor 1. I don't see any pics of it anywhere...

thanks,

Kirk Keyes
23-Apr-2009, 22:13
I have a 90 f/6.8 on one of those boards. I think I removed the part the lens sits on and remounted it on the back of the flange of the main board to get about 5 mm more recess.

Peter K
23-Apr-2009, 22:47
hmm, Bob, do you have any information on 001026 item, I'm guessing it is a lens board related to prontor 1. I don't see any pics of it anywhere...
Item 001026 is a flat lensboard with the hole for size #1 shutters. (Copal, Prontor, Compur)

The case of a Copal #1 has an outer diameter of 71mm, together with the cocking lever ca. 85 mm. (The Prontor Professional and Compur shutters are more or less the same size) But the hole of the recessed board at the top is only ca. 80mm.

With a special distance ring it should be possible to mount a size #1 shutter on a recessed board. But the recess will be only ca. 6 mm.

Bob Salomon
24-Apr-2009, 06:39
Way back in the 70's Linhof made a board, 001126 which was a recessed board for the 90mm 4.5 Grandagon in COMPUR 1 shutter. That board was also used for the Zeiss 135mm 3.5 in COMPUR 1. That board is long discontinued and the board itself may be what you found. But a Copal 1 will not position properly in it as you are experiencing.

Linhof's current (2009 factory price list) recommendation for a lens board for the 4x5 Technika with the 90mm 4.5 Grandagon, in Copal, Compur, Prontor Professional or Rollei shutters is the 001026 flat board as Peter mentioned.

kub
24-Apr-2009, 08:06
"Way back in the 70's Linhof made a board, 001126 which was a recessed board for the 90mm 4.5 Grandagon in COMPUR 1 shutter..."

That must be it, I have an old synchro-compur that fits in it. I wonder if it is worth swapping the shutters...but the old shutter needs a CLA

Bob Salomon
24-Apr-2009, 08:13
"Way back in the 70's Linhof made a board, 001126 which was a recessed board for the 90mm 4.5 Grandagon in COMPUR 1 shutter..."

That must be it, I have an old synchro-compur that fits in it. I wonder if it is worth swapping the shutters...but the old shutter needs a CLA

You are better off getting the current board. It is the least expensive board made by Linhof and would probably cost less then a CLA on a shutter that won't last as long as your newer Copal. Plus you would need to have aperture scales made for the old shutter. Plus it may need shims.

Frank Petronio
24-Apr-2009, 08:24
I had a Xenotar mounted in one of those #1 recessed boards and it was tight and a pain to use, go flat. The reason they are useful is that you can mount the 135 Xenotar or Planar in it and the camera will close up with the lens mounted, which is pretty nice. But there is no way you're going to close a 90/4.5 up in your Technika.

tgtaylor
24-Apr-2009, 09:26
I have that lens and it will not work on a Toyo recessed board on my Toyo field cameras, 45AX and CF, which take a 110mm board. The lens will attach to a Toyo recessed board but you wont be able to access the shutter release. However a recessed board is not necessary with the Toyo field cameras with that lens: All movements that the camera is capable of are permitted.

Thomas

kub
24-Apr-2009, 12:47
I guess I just leave it on the flat board. Practically I have all the movements, I was trying to stretch it beyond reason...