PDA

View Full Version : Interesting paper: New Oriental Warmtone

Toyon
23-Apr-2009, 15:18
I liked the "old" oriental warmtone, but was never able to eliminate its habit of developing edge fog. With the announcement of a new emulsion, I cautiously purchased an 8x10 25 sheet pack. The new paper is like none I have ever tried before. It has a cream base and an extremely warm tone... almost yellow. It is quite contrasty at #2 filtration, closer to a #2.5 in other vc papers. It responds more vigorously to selenium than any other I have tested, shifting from the yellow to a handsome coppery brown with cleaner whites, and then back to a vivid yellow tone after 10 minutes at 1:20. So far I am pleased that such a new and interesting paper is available. However, it is quite dissimilar to the tonality of Agfa or Ilford Warmtone, which "old" Oriental Warmtone was. I am going to do some more testing. So far I have seen no edge fogging, though I did see some emulsion flaws in one sheet.

I would be interested in hearing other peoples experience with this paper.

Renato Tonelli
23-Apr-2009, 16:01
I started testing this paper this week but haven't finished. I have been looking to replace the Agfa Multicontrast 111. I have been printing a 21-step wedge and will print my 4x5 "reference" negative next week or the one after. So far I have developed it in LPD 1:6 and Neutol 1:7 and will also try it in Formulary's 130.
I have noticed the same thing as far as contrast but I haven't toned any of the tests yet (will tone in Se 1;19, Viradon 1:24 and Kodak Sepia).
I don't have the test in front of me, but with a No.2 filter, the wedges are distinct only from No.4 through No.12; with the Agfa, under the same conditions, I get steps 3-14. I will truly miss that paper.

I will post my impressions of the paper as I continue testing it.

Dennis
23-Apr-2009, 16:19
Are you talking about Oriental VC-FBII ? Or is there something newer than that?

I have been using the VC-FBII warmtone for about a year and a half and I love it. It is in my opinion almost indistinguishable from the Ilford WT FB. I process generally in a cold tone developer and the paper is only noticeably warm if I put a neutral tone next to it. It warms up quite a bit in a warm tone developer but still not warm as paper was in the "old days".
Dennis

Renato Tonelli
23-Apr-2009, 17:19
The package says VC-FBII but it also has a sticker saying that it is a new Formulation Warmtone emulsion.

Toyon
23-Apr-2009, 19:14
[QUOTE=Dennis;461675]Are you talking about Oriental VC-FBII ? Or is there something newer than that?

Yes, this is a new formulation. Your year and a half old paper is quite different.

Dennis
23-Apr-2009, 22:16
Ever since Agfa introduced the "new and improved" Portriga in 1986or7 and it went from being great to being crap I cringe every time I see new or reformulated anything. But I will call Freestyle tomorrow and see if they have some.
Dennis

evan clarke
24-Apr-2009, 04:57
Ever since Agfa introduced the "new and improved" Portriga in 1986or7 and it went from being great to being crap I cringe every time I see new or reformulated anything. But I will call Freestyle tomorrow and see if they have some.
Dennis

Agreed. When you finally get things really tuned up these people change the whole deal. Why don't they call it something else??...EC

Chuck Pere
24-Apr-2009, 05:35
Sounds like Fomatone Classic 131. Has a cream base and is very warm. Does Oriental still make their own paper or do they contract it out?

Renato Tonelli
29-Apr-2009, 20:29
I did some tests today with my "reference negative" (posted in another thread) and my reaction to the Oriental Seagull Warmtone (New Formultation) is mixed. It is too creamy yellow/reddish to my taste especially when developed in Ansco/Formulary 130 1:1 and 1:2, toned in Se 1:19
There was no edge fogging but I got some funky specks on two sheets.
I prefer a subtler warm tone than what I got. In fact, I like it much , much better developed in LPD 1:2 and untoned.

Dennis
1-May-2009, 19:01
I spent this afternoon testing the new Oriental against the old Oriental and this is an entirely*different animal. The color is much warmer even though looking at the backs of the prints the paper seems the same brightness. The surface is a little smoother. The new stuff is much slower, like maybe half the speed.

I like the old stuff though I always wanted a warmer base so I tend to put a pot of black tea in the stop bath. It looks like Oriental did that for me with this new stuff. When I first looked at it wet, it looked very very warm but after a couple minutes in the fix it brightened up considerably.

I have a freezer full of the old stuff and have never had the staining problem others speak of. As for right now I am not sure which paper I like better. They can be matched exactly in contrast with adjustments but the new stuff has a nice warm glow that makes the old stuff look almost neutral toned by comparison.

At least that is my perception.
Dennis

Jan Pedersen
1-May-2009, 19:58
Dennis, Sounds like a paper to my liking. I have been disapointed with most if not all warmtone papers curently on the marked.
Recently bought some of the new Adox Variotone Premium in the hope that it would be warmer than Ilfords WT paper but as the Bergger paper, also made my Ilford (Harman) it is not as warm as i would like.

Dennis
1-May-2009, 20:13
Hi Jan, I am continuing to test it tonight and am really coming to like the new stuff. It is much warmer with probably a hint of the infamous green. I am processing it in the classic Ansco 130 formula. It is becoming clear that it prints very differently from the old Oriental WT. There seems to be a longer tonal scale in the lower tones and yet the white pops out nicely. I found the Ilford WT and the old Oriental WT nearly identical papers. This new stuff is much warmer. If I like it as much after washing and drying as I do wet, I am going to have to find someone who wants to trade the new for all the boxes of old I have frozen.
Dennis

Jan Pedersen
1-May-2009, 20:29
Dennis, Please bring a print to our next meeting, i would love to see how this paper (And your print) looks.
A little time in the Selenium toner should make the green go away.
Let us know (And see)

Andrew O'Neill
1-May-2009, 21:26
Thanks Toyon for informing us about this paper. I'll see if Beau Photo is carrying it in Vancouver...

Stephen Thomason
11-Oct-2014, 14:41
Old thread, but just tried it today. GORGEOUS!!! Developed in LPD 1:3, Selenium toned 1:3, air dried. For the right subject, in my case, nature shots, just beautiful.

I also use Iford MGFB warmtone, and this Oriental paper is responds MUCH more strongly to my developer and toning.

I liked the "old" oriental warmtone, but was never able to eliminate its habit of developing edge fog. With the announcement of a new emulsion, I cautiously purchased an 8x10 25 sheet pack. The new paper is like none I have ever tried before. It has a cream base and an extremely warm tone... almost yellow. It is quite contrasty at #2 filtration, closer to a #2.5 in other vc papers. It responds more vigorously to selenium than any other I have tested, shifting from the yellow to a handsome coppery brown with cleaner whites, and then back to a vivid yellow tone after 10 minutes at 1:20. So far I am pleased that such a new and interesting paper is available. However, it is quite dissimilar to the tonality of Agfa or Ilford Warmtone, which "old" Oriental Warmtone was. I am going to do some more testing. So far I have seen no edge fogging, though I did see some emulsion flaws in one sheet.

I would be interested in hearing other peoples experience with this paper.