PDA

View Full Version : Website so far

Ash
23-Apr-2009, 14:40
Not sure if I'm asking for crit on the site as of yet... it's only been up a couple weeks and is still very much in progress...

http://www.nps160.co.uk

I'm needing to change the gallery software to make it more versatile, friendlier to the viewer and use larger images. I'm thinking something like simpleviewer but we'll see.

At the moment the two far right boxes in the Portfolio page don't work. Nightclubs is digital, Archi/Abandoned/Musicians is all done on Hasselblads.

Odd thing is I don't think I've got any LF photos that I feel are strong enough to go up on the site.

The site is what it is because recently I've been approaching musicians for my end of year project for the FDa in Photography. A month ago when asked "do you have a business card?" and "do you have a website" and both answers were "no" I realised it was too late already, that the site needed to be up and running asap. I printed a bunch of makeshift business cards using my photo printer, on 4x6 thick stock photo paper to cut down regular size cards.

It's a start at least.

Toyon
23-Apr-2009, 15:26
I think it is a handsome website, uncluttered and visually directive while keeping images in the forefront. The opening shot is very effective for the site.

Overall it looks very good to me.

drew.saunders
23-Apr-2009, 16:07
Pleasantly non-annoying, which I can't say about so many other websites.
For me, clicking on "contact" and getting a mailto: was a bit jarring. I was expecting a web page (even if said page only has a "email me" link that does the same thing).

Santo Roman
23-Apr-2009, 22:28
I as well like the image on the home page. Site is not cluttered up with a bunch of crap and flows pretty well. Looks good.

santo

Ash
24-Apr-2009, 00:13
Thanks,

Yea I've had a few comments about the mailto: link. I've just put up a basic contact form, I'll put a more advanced one when I have the time.

Preston
25-Apr-2009, 19:08
Looks nice Ash. I like the simple design. I'd like to make a couple of suggestions, though. You might consider placing your portolio slide shows on linked pages, rather than in a popup window. Some popup blockers may prevent your windows from displaying. You might also consider increasing the font size on your 'News and 'Contact' pages for better readability.

You have some nice work there, keep it up; and do show some of your LF work!

-Preston

resummerfield
25-Apr-2009, 19:33
.......It's a start at least.
It's a great start. Well done.

Drew Bedo
26-Apr-2009, 12:45
Hello Ash,

I like that you have used a darker background color, that sets off the images and is easier to view. You ae right about new display software though. I am an i-idiot, and had my site done by Lynn Bell Designs (www.lynnbelldesigns.com) here in Houston. I really like how they arranged to display the portfolios. Best wishes.

sgelb
26-Apr-2009, 22:02
ash bring me more of those digital shots of the girls from faces!!!! hahahahaha....

sgelb
26-Apr-2009, 22:10
no seriously ash, the work is good, as is some of your images.. I especially like the ones of musicians..

but if you are serious about having a photography business, hire a web designer or buy a site and hone in your images to a specific audience.. and concentrate on taking the images YOU love in stead of fooling around with web design. showing portraits, events and landscapes and whatever else all mashed together doesnt work. check out this link and listen to what the woman is saying.

http://www.asmp.org/strictlybusiness/2009/04/not-working-enough/

its a pretty kick ass talk about portfolios and websites and presenting work to get work and business.. it confirmed many of the issues and thoughts I had about my own site!!!