PDA

View Full Version : t-max 100

doc
26-Oct-1998, 00:17
Does anyone have exstensive experience with T-MAX 100. Recently I was forced by circumstances to shoot a 120 roll, and I was surprised with the results. I've be en using Ilford FP4 Plus; I'm satisfied with the results of the Ilford, but now I'm wondering if the newer kind of B&W film is better. Can anyone give me the pr os and cons of these two different film types for zone-system use. Thanks.

doc
26-Oct-1998, 02:02
In addition to the above, while I'm on the subject of film, can anyone tell me if there is a noticeable difference in the range of tone obtained by say a ASA 100 B&W over a ASA 400. I've been told that the slower ASA produces more contrast but less grain and the higher ASA produces a longer range of tones but is grainer. Does anyone have any experience in this? When you use a ASA 400 at EI 200 do you get better tone qualites from the film? Thanks.

Harold Clark
9-Nov-1998, 10:55
Tmax films have excellent reciprocity characteristics and fine grain. They are very sensitive to time/temperature variations in processing, not that this is a problem if you use good technique. One fatal flaw I have discovered, however, is that they produce horrendous newton rings when used with glass negative carriers. This can ordinarily be eliminated by using anti newton glass on the top (base) side, but Tmax, unlike other films, also produces newton rings on the emulsion side. Agfa apx 100 produces no rings, even without AN glass. If you use a glassless carrier, all this is irrelevant. I use 5x7 and 8x10 mostly, and my Saltzman 10x10 enlarger uses a glass carrier. Nearly all 8x10 enlargers have glass carriers, as film flatness becomes a problem for negatives this large.

Harold Clark