PDA

View Full Version : Jobo 2521/4x5/TriX/HC110

E Thomson
21-Apr-2009, 22:47
I'll be using the 2521 drum with up to six sheets on a CPE-2. I've seen several threads here which touch on one or two of the parameters in my subject line, but they have been all over the map and I didn't come away with a lot of clarity. Can anyone out there tell me what works for them with this particular combination?

I have the Kodak sheet for HC110 and they recommend 3 minutes at 20/68 (dilution B), using rotary tubes. Would this recommendation hold for the Jobo tank? Would this be continuous rotation? Pre-wash?

Thanks for any comment

dsphotog
22-Apr-2009, 00:56
Hi Eric,
Ask 10 photogs, you'll get 12 answers.....
Heres mine,
For even dev. I think 3 min, is too short a dev time....so dil.B is too strong.
To promote economy, even & consistant processing, I prefer a longer dev time, with greater dilution.
I'm not using TX, so I don't have a time/temp combo for you.
But this may give you some idea of a starting point
The film I've been using is Arista 100 edu ultra
I'm using HC110 syrup diluted 1:50 for 7.5 min. 68f in a Jobo expert drum,
Happy developing.
David Silva
Modesto,Ca

E Thomson
22-Apr-2009, 22:39
Thanks David.

Twelve from ten, definitely. It's amazing anyone gets any negatives made.

I've read someone on the subject of simplifying Kodak's HC110 process. He recommends 1:50 at 68f and 8 minutes, in general agreement with you. But he is using an inversion tank, inverting at intervals. Do you have any sense of whether constant rotation affects timing, other things being equal?

dsphotog
22-Apr-2009, 23:51
Logic dictates the constant rotary agitation would require a shorter dev. time.
Since the tank is only partially full, the film is really being dipped & dunked, and part of the time its in the air...
Well...Let's make this even more complicated... Another variable is the smaller amount of dev. in the rotary tank.
Less dev. oxidizes/exhausts faster, at least partially counteracting the effect of the additional agitation.
My free advice,(remember you get what you pay for) Do a test on non essential film.
Start at 7 or 8 min.
As you know,results are subject to: but not limited to: metering, shutter, bellows extension, thermometer, proximity to the sun, lunar phase, daylight saving time, Sun spots, dust spots, etc,
& as usual,
your mileage may vary.
Happy developing,
David Silva
Oh of course at 1:50 use the dev one shot.

Gene McCluney
23-Apr-2009, 01:10
I'll be using the 2521 drum with up to six sheets on a CPE-2. I've seen several threads here which touch on one or two of the parameters in my subject line, but they have been all over the map and I didn't come away with a lot of clarity. Can anyone out there tell me what works for them with this particular combination?

I have the Kodak sheet for HC110 and they recommend 3 minutes at 20/68 (dilution B), using rotary tubes. Would this recommendation hold for the Jobo tank? Would this be continuous rotation? Pre-wash?

Thanks for any comment

A Jobo drum is essentially the same thing as a rotary tube. It doesn't matter whether the film is on reels or in slots. The tube or drum processing cycle involves constant movement of the solution against the film. If you are using your Jobo tank in a Jobo processor, or on a rotating base it should be considered rotary tube. If you are using a Jobo tank as a conventional small reel and tank with inversion agitation then it should be considered small reel and tank inversion agitation for purposes of developing time.

Now, all developing times are really just "starting points" for arriving at your own personal developing time considering your exposure technique and other factors. You should expect to make adjustments in developing time to suit your particular situation.

I would recommend picking an HC-110 dilution that gives you a longer developing time, best if you can get 5 minutes or more of developing time. A pre-wet is always a good idea, but many people develop without a water pre-wet.

dng88
23-Apr-2009, 08:30
You may note that Ansel Adam has a compensating development involving HC110 at 100+ dilution.

E Thomson
23-Apr-2009, 16:04
Thanks folks.

At this stage I guess I'm close to a starting point.

--Jobo drum used on their processor = rotary tubes. That's good to know in sifting through recommendations.
--HC110 used dilute and as one-shot; this recurs in a lot of advice. I'll do 1:50 since this advice comes up often and looks like it will call for a leisurely development.
--Pre-wetting is recommended a lot so I'll do it, though perhaps it's less necessary with a dilute solution.
--This guy-- http://www.jasonbrunner.com/hc110.html --hazards some times for HC110 based on rolls/inversion tank. Taking his times for Tri-X 320, comparing to Kodak's dilution B, and adjusting for roll vs. sheet and tank vs. tubes, I get 5.1 minutes at 68f. Seems way short but I'll test some film at that and also at 7 minutes.

David, where do I go for a chart to calculate sun-spot factor? Now where did I put my lunar-phase calendar...

Thanks for the advice, I'll report back. I'm still naive enough to report some times for my process.