PDA

View Full Version : So Cheap It's Scaring Me

dazedgonebye
21-Apr-2009, 20:37
Ok, just bought a Schneider Super Angulon 75mm f5.6 in recessed Cambo board for $281 including shipping. I never expected to get it at my top bid of $350.
Did I just get as lucky as I think I did, or is there some horrible news in the listing I'm not seeing?

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=200331822001&_trkparms=tab%3DWatching

{See, I can't even spell "Scaring."}

Frank Petronio
21-Apr-2009, 20:52
It looks like a good deal on a good older lens to me. I've seen that TMP seller with a lot of nice lenses but their descriptions have always been a bit thin so let us know how they are as sellers.

BrianShaw
21-Apr-2009, 21:06
Looks like a good buy to me too!

ic-racer
22-Apr-2009, 09:38
"Press" shutter maybe?

Jim Bradley
22-Apr-2009, 09:47
Yeah, but wait to you price the center filter :eek:

JGB

Archphoto
22-Apr-2009, 10:17
It looks like a Syncro Compur shutter, nothing, nothing wrong with that !
I have the same, love it, you will be happy with it !

The lens is a tad soft compared to the 72XL I have, but it is sharp, very sharp and is a great lens for interior shots.

Congrad's !

Peter

PS Center filters are always expensive....

BradS
22-Apr-2009, 10:24
I have the exact same lens in the same shutter...you got a damned good deal - even assuming a CLA on the shutter.

I've not noticed any need for a center filter either...and even if you do want one, its only a 49mm filter..which is very nice!

Good job - I think you'll like the lens.

dazedgonebye
22-Apr-2009, 10:26
I'll give it a shot without the center filter. I have only limited rise and fall movements available to me with this point and shoot camera (Gran View 4x5) so I'm assuming I'll see less fall off than someone needing/using full movements.
Does that make sense?

dazedgonebye
22-Apr-2009, 10:33
BTW, anyone with need of a recessed board for Cambo, just let me know. I won't be needing the one that is coming with this lens.

Gem Singer
22-Apr-2009, 10:37
A center filter is used to even out the exposure over the entire sheet of film.

If you are shooting color transparency film, you might need one. Probably not necessary for B&W photography, though.

The shutter might need a lens board milled for a Copal Press (00) If so, you will need to modify the front opening in the Grand View.

Another hoop to jump through in order to make use of that camera.

BradS
22-Apr-2009, 10:38
I'll give it a shot without the center filter. I have only limited rise and fall movements available to me with this point and shoot camera (Gran View 4x5) so I'm assuming I'll see less fall off than someone needing/using full movements.
Does that make sense?

Yes - makes sense however...It just barely covers 4x5 so movements on the front standard are pretty much out anyway. On the flip side, the short focal length makes for LOTS of depth of field so movements are not really necessary for focus considerations. IIRC, when focused at ten feet at f/22 pretty much everything from four or five feet so is in focus...

BradS
22-Apr-2009, 10:40
The shutter might need a lens board milled for a Copal Press (00) If so, you will need to modify the front opening in the Grand View.

It is a syncho-compur - fits in a 35mm hole - same as copal #0.

soeren
22-Apr-2009, 12:01
I have the exact same lens in the same shutter...you got a damned good deal - even assuming a CLA on the shutter.

I've not noticed any need for a center filter either...and even if you do want one, its only a 49mm filter..which is very nice!

Good job - I think you'll like the lens.

Ehh 49mm filter??? Ofcource it could be the rear cell that has such a tread I don't know, mine look bigger though and the front is a 67mm size. That I know for sure, just bought a 715nm fikter for my 75mm f5,6.
Best regards

dazedgonebye
22-Apr-2009, 13:17
A center filter is used to even out the exposure over the entire sheet of film.

If you are shooting color transparency film, you might need one. Probably not necessary for B&W photography, though.

I'm all B&W in large format, so I'll skip the center filter for now...thanks for the info on that.
The Gran View has a Copal 1 hole (I wonder what they were thinking, since all the 75mm lenses I can find seem to be Copal 0.) I've got an idea for adapting it and I have friends with tools and skills.

ic-racer
22-Apr-2009, 15:16
You guys can tell if there a "-P" after the "Synchro-Compur" from those e-bay pictures? I guess in that shutter, the "Press" shutter version may be more desirable for view camera work (vs the self timer version). Either way, it does look like you got a great deal!
http://www.skgrimes.com/compur/slftime/index.htm

Jim Bradley
22-Apr-2009, 17:19
I've got mine on a Fotoman 617 right now, generally shooting transparencies so I tend use a center filter. Next thing to try is an IR film so I've picked up a couple of rolls of SFX to start with.

JGB

BradS
22-Apr-2009, 19:14
Ehh 49mm filter??? Ofcource it could be the rear cell that has such a tread I don't know, mine look bigger though and the front is a 67mm size. That I know for sure, just bought a 715nm fikter for my 75mm f5,6.
Best regards

Ah...I see my mistake. I just re-read the OP and I see that his lens is the 75mm f/5.6. The one I have is the 75mm f/8 which does take 49mm filters. Must read more carefully.

JOSEPH ANDERSON
22-Apr-2009, 19:17
Yes You Got A Great Deal. If Your Going To Use B&w, You May Not Need A
Center Filter. Transparencies However,may Be Another Story. Try It And
See.the Dof Is Something Else On This Lens.have Fun.
Joe A

chardl
27-Apr-2009, 05:49
BTW, anyone with need of a recessed board for Cambo, just let me know. I won't be needing the one that is coming with this lens.

YGPM.

dazedgonebye
5-May-2009, 08:17
It looks like a good deal on a good older lens to me. I've seen that TMP seller with a lot of nice lenses but their descriptions have always been a bit thin so let us know how they are as sellers.

I just wanted to close the loop on this transaction.

When I first tried to mount the lens, I could not achieve infinity. Playing with it, I realized something must be wrong with the lens because it would only focus when within about 60mm of the film plane. I contacted the seller, who said it was possible that he got the rear element mixed with the element from another lens because he had multiple shutters out for CLAs at the same time.
He sent me the correct lens element and credited my paypal $10 (without being asked to do so). I'm sending the wrong element back to him today.

So...good communication from an honest seller. I'd rather have someone willing to fix problems than someone who claims never to have any. From this experience, I can certainly recommend the seller.