PDA

View Full Version : Plastic or Copper

Adam Touffay
21-Apr-2009, 12:55
With a stainless steel sink outfitted with a water panel containing water filters and temp control, should the plumbing be PVC or copper?

Eric Woodbury
21-Apr-2009, 13:04
I don't think it matters. With galvanized pipe and copper you would put a dielectric isolator or a bronze valve between them, but stainless is fairly inert. There is a new trend in plumbing to use a plastic tubing. Don't remember the name, but there are push together fittings that will take both copper and the plastic tubing. Whatever you use, make it easy to remove in complete form so that you can move it.

Jim Noel
21-Apr-2009, 13:13
My darkroom plumbing is all PVC. If I had a metal sink I would consider nothing else. Galvanized is a poor choice because of the salts which build up in it.
PVC is cheap,easy to work and lasts well.

Drew Wiley
21-Apr-2009, 13:18
A couple of things to keep in mind. Ordinary PVC isn't rated for hot water (use CPVC).
But metal pipe, especially galvanized, is very susceptible to corrosion if it contacts
chemicals like acetic acid. If fittings are exposed to the splash zone, Type 316 or 303
stainless is worth it. Also be aware that much of the PVC pipe sold at "home centers" is substandard, not even legally code in many areas. If has a wall thickness like
a soda straw, it probably isn't much better than a straw.

Jason Greenberg Motamedi
21-Apr-2009, 15:41
PEX is another alternative.

Turner Reich
21-Apr-2009, 16:03
Type L "hard" copper though out, you will not be disappointed.

Nathan Potter
21-Apr-2009, 16:54
Having gone through a few darkrooms, all my sinks are now free standing connected to the house plumbing in the wall through washing machine hoses for ease of moving. Filters are within the sink module plumbed with copper tubing and some CPVC. Sink drains are CPVC, 1 1/2 inch, connected to the house drains using a flexible rubber section and stainless steel clamps.

Nate Potter, Austin TX.

dsphotog
22-Apr-2009, 00:05
I have 2 sinks, 1 plumbed with copper, & 1 with Schedule 40. both work fine.

Just to be safe, I placed a shutoff valve inline prior to my set up.
I shut mine when i'm done in the darkroom.
David Silva
Modesto, Ca

Fred L
22-Apr-2009, 03:40
Although a good copper joint is a sight to behold, I used pex when I redid my darkroom. Very convenient and it's very easy to install. The crimps/clamps are not cheap however.

Like David, I also use shut offs on the lines going to the sink.

neil poulsen
23-Apr-2009, 02:36
I put all my plumbing and electronics on a board that I attach to two vertical 2"x2"s on the wall. The board's about 4.5' long by 3' high. I connect the plumbing through two flexible hoses.

When I leave, this board leaves with me and can be used elsewhere.

Paul Metcalf
23-Apr-2009, 06:03
There is a new trend in plumbing to use a plastic tubing. Don't remember the name, but there are push together fittings that will take both copper and the plastic tubing. Whatever you use, make it easy to remove in complete form so that you can move it. Shark Bite fittings, Home Depot carries them. They can be disassembled (using their special tool which is simple disk key) and are code-approved for covered-overall plumbing (i.e. interior to walls). Simple to use, push in either plastic or copper pipe (of appropriate O.D.) and the fitting is locked in place, but can rotate (or the pipe) to fit in position.