PDA

View Full Version : Weight capacity ratings on Tripods

ryanchai_85
21-Apr-2009, 10:31
Hello all, this is my first post here as I recently bought a Cambo 4x5 monorail. I am looking for a tripod for this 11 pound camera and have seen quite a few cheap to expensive tripods that "say" they handle up to 17-26 lbs. My question is how accurate are those ratings used? Does this below Smith-Victor Propod 4 that is rated at up to 22 lbs. handle the camera with the same steadiness as say a Berebach or Bogen? They all weigh about the same.

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/328999-REG/Smith_Victor_700102_Propod_IV_Aluminum_Tripod.html

Just your thoughts on this would be so helpful! Thanks!

GPS
21-Apr-2009, 11:22
The truth is that there is no standard for these claims. While some manufacturers specify the weight that the tripod simply supports the others can take in account how safely the weight is supported (stability, vibrations, etc.)
The tripod in question has a solid construction. However how solid it is in itself is open to personal claims...

Turner Reich
21-Apr-2009, 13:59
You will soon notice that manufacturers state a maximum weight, you won't see one saying that an 8x10 Calumet C1 will be fully supported. You might see them say it's great for a dslr or 35 but which models. To be absolutely correct you would need to put your camera on the tripod and actually see if it works for you, for what you will use it for.

Now comes the rub, you don't live near the big camera store, say you live in Utah and the store is in New York or Los Angeles, what do you do? You have to ask here, maybe someone has the combination you are looking at or maybe there is someone close to you and is willing to show you theirs. I know it's a long shot but buying on manufacturers claims is going to get expensive without some hands on. I have an old bogen with the center brace and it's extremely sturdy. I don't even know it's maximum weight but I can put all of my cameras on it. I have a Berlebach and it will hold all of them too but the largest, the Calumet C1 is a bit unstable. With a monorail you could be extending beyond the point of balance so a good stable tripod is required. Some people hang bags from the bottom center column to hold everything down. Have you seen a picture of Ansel Adams, Edward Weston, Paul Strand having a bag hanging from the tripod, I haven't. Get a tripod you are sure will support the camera. Call B&H and ask them which tripod they recommend for the Cambo 4x5 monorail. Don't just ask if the Smith Victor Propod 4 is OK. After they give you come ideas then ask but don't lead off with it. When you do have one in mind ask here if anyone specifically has a Cambo 4x5 monorail on a Smith Victor Propod 4 and see what they say. Adorama B&H have reviews too on the tripods. Type in the tripod on the net and read the reviews there also. You will soon get an idea of what people are using. It will depend on things like where do you use it, in the studio or field, do you carry it on long walks, do you need to fly with it, how high does it have to be to be comfortable, is it easy to setup, to keep clean, protect your hands from hot or cold, have the ability to mount the head of your choice. There is as much to picking a tripod as there is in choosing a lens or camera body. It's an important piece of equipment with a view camera. You will either have an easy time or a difficult time with it. Choose carefully.

ryanchai_85
21-Apr-2009, 15:40
Thank you to both of you. I appreciate your input.

Ryan

edwinb
22-Apr-2009, 12:22
The Foba ALFAE tripod (http://www.image2output.com/Product.aspx?id=149&cat=1670)is well made and very stable with the sinar p3 ive used on it
Edwin

ljsegil
23-Apr-2009, 03:50
You might do well to contact Kerry Thalman of Reallybigcameras.com. He is an excellent source of advice on this (and many other) subject(s), although perhaps a bit prejudiced as a Feisol tripod dealer. I bought one from him and am extremely satisfied, both with the 'pod and the help he gave me in deciding to make the purchase.
LJS

neil poulsen
23-Apr-2009, 08:55
Both my 475 tripod and 3039 head are rated for 26 lbs. But, placing a 19 lbs Calumet metal 8x10 on this setup is a bit iffy. The head can handle it, but the camera is a bit wobbly on the legs.

On the other hand, I have a very study Linhof tripod with about a 2.5" diameter column and geared rise with the 3039 head that can easily handle a Calumet metal 8x10 camera without being wobbly.

The 475 and 3039 can handle an 11 lbs 8x10 without any difficulty.

CG
27-Apr-2009, 13:10
Frequently it's the head that's the weak spot. I'm not near my cameras at the moment and can't remember model numbers with any certainty. I have the Bogen heavy duty tripod that is, I think, the predecessor to the 475, and I believe I have the heavy duty 3039 with the hex plates. Whatever the tripod model number, the center column is braced to the legs and is quite solid. It's pretty heavy.

I think the head / hex plate combo is pretty maxxed out by a heavy 4x5 - Sinar P. The legs however seem good for much more, so for heavy usage I have replaced the head with the Sinar pan and tilt head. Seems more sturdy.

bvstaples
28-Apr-2009, 12:12
I'd take the rated weight, cut it in half, and make that my maximum. And then test, test, test the camera/tripod combinations.

As an example, I have a Bogen 3030 with a 3051 head, supposedly rated at 26 lbs max. My Cambo 4x5 with lens, film holder and compendium weigh in at about 11 lbs. I also have an RB67 which, with large lens and accessories also weighs in at about 11 lbs. The RB67 on this tripod is a solid combination, but the Cambo is not. Despite it's weight, the spatial dimensions of the Cambo and the monorail, which acts like a lever arm, seem to push the tripod just past it's limit. It's usable, but slightly wobbly. To reiterate the best advise I've seen, get your camera on a tripod before committing to it.

And to take advise from the amateur astronomical community, you can rarely overdo a mount.

Brian

Peter De Smidt
6-May-2009, 04:42
The Foba ALFAE tripod (http://www.image2output.com/Product.aspx?id=149&cat=1670)is well made and very stable with the sinar p3 ive used on it
Edwin

That sure looks like a Gitzo tripod.

ryanchai_85
6-May-2009, 06:34
It looks like I have settled with a tripod and head that seem to work very well. I picked up a Benro A-428 and a new Bogen 3039 head. I bought the Smith Victor but the head was junk and the tripod wasn't as stable as I wished. The Benro is really nice and seems to be even more stable than my friend's older Bogen 3221. I have tested this combo and the only niggle I have is the hexagonal tripod plate. I can't get my Cambo monorail clamp to tighten up enough to the tripod plate so there is movement. I have been thinking about just welding the two together. I will have to look into that some more.

Thanks for all your help!

Bob Salomon
6-May-2009, 07:26
That sure looks like a Gitzo tripod.

Foba is a Swiss company that has been making heavy duty tripods and studio stands for decades. No connection to Gitzo/Manfrotto.

aduncanson
6-May-2009, 10:32
Bogen makes a number of hex plates. I have one with no knob below, just a heavy brass slotted screw. It resides fixed to a Cambo rail clamp that I use with 4x5 & 5x7 cameras. I had no problem getting firmly attached.