PDA

View Full Version : Darkslides On Location

david ashley kerr
21-Apr-2009, 05:47
ok,
hello my fellow Large Format Luminaries

I am posting this in both 'Location and Travel' and 'Camera and Accessories' - as it somewhat transcends into a circumstantial problem based on LF equipment.

I am preparing to begin a new series using my Linhof Technika, in various Natural locations in Germany, with Subjects, over the period of a week.

Time and efficiency are thus priorities in this instance, and my concerns lie in my LIMITED amount of Darkslides that i currently possess.

I have 5 Darkslides, loaded with film, ready for my first shoot;

If I am to use all of these during the shoot, and wish to give them into a lab for processing, am i to always do so with the exposed negatives remaining in the Darkslides?
I have always done this, and found it frustrating when I wish to continue shooting..

so, the big and possibly Naive question is:

Am I able to unload the exposed Negs, in the dark of course, into, lets say, A light-tight 4x5 film box, and give this into the lab instead? Ensuring i have empty darkslides to once again reload and get back to the Action?

I hope others benefit from the advice, as it is a hypothetical that I think many may face when planning Photo-shoots on-location with a limited amount of Darkslides..

kind regards

David Ashley Kerr

Eugene van der Merwe
21-Apr-2009, 05:53
I have an empty film box with the light tight envelopes and cardboard sleeve clearly marked "exposed" on the front and back of the box into which film goes once i've exposed it. Just remember to tell the lab you want the box back when you hand it in for processing, sometimes the throw it in the rubbish bin...

david ashley kerr
21-Apr-2009, 06:01
thanks for the reply,

do you find this works?

no expense to quality in 'second-handling' the film?

that was my primary concern..

Is there a given time that one should take the exposed negs to a lab/process, before quality control is in issue?

or can an exposed neg be kept for an indefinite time before being developed? I have always been curious of this..

regards

Peter K
21-Apr-2009, 08:25
thanks for the reply,

do you find this works?

no expense to quality in 'second-handling' the film?

that was my primary concern..
With me it has worked with many, many films.

Is there a given time that one should take the exposed negs to a lab/process, before quality control is in issue?

or can an exposed neg be kept for an indefinite time before being developed? I have always been curious of this..
In the data-sheets one can read "Process film as soon as possible after exposure" because the latent image fades. If the film cannot processed immediately, keep the exposed films cool and dry but don't freeze it if the box ins't air-tight to avoid moisture condensation on film.

Santo Roman
22-Apr-2009, 07:47
Speaking of air tight and light tight, I use a travel cigar humidor that is made from Pelican. Its actually 5x7 is size but the inside is a hair larger than 4x5. Fits up to 100 sheets. Great way to keep the exposed negs safe while traveling.

santo

Sevo
22-Apr-2009, 08:28
Am I able to unload the exposed Negs, in the dark of course, into, lets say, A light-tight 4x5 film box, and give this into the lab instead? Ensuring i have empty darkslides to once again reload and get back to the Action?

Of course. Any lab will take boxed film - that is pretty much the standard way. Only dedicated pro labs will usually offer the service of loading/unloading film holders (at a charge). And even among them, quite a few will only do so for old, well known clients, for fear of being made responsible for damage to the holders or mixing up different clients property.

But regardless of that I'd strongly recommend stocking up on holders. Having enough for a days work (which will of course vary with size and typical usage) is extremely advisable, as reloading on site and in-session is a waste of precious time and a recipe for disasters, as you'll usually be hurried and distracted, and may not even be able to clean your hands or find a shadowy, dry and dust free spot to set up a changing tent.

Sevo

Aahx
22-Apr-2009, 09:56
Changing tents have there uses. Several manufacturers make them (Harrison Tent, Photoflex Changing Room, etc). Just use a spare film bag/box to put your "exposed" film into to take to lab. This way you can free up your film holders where ever you are, as well as reload them. Just have the boxes labeled and keep things organized and you will be fine. I personaly prefer the dark bags that have room to work in, rather than just a bag, as I find less dust gets on the film.

More film holders, or some Graphmatic holders which hold 6 sheets each might also be an option to consider. I have two Graphmatic holders and I find them great to work with. One just has to be carefull with them, so as not to damage the septums.

david ashley kerr
22-Apr-2009, 13:30
Thanks for the replies everyone,

Santo, this PELICAN humidor seems like what I need, as I will be traveling immediately after my Location shoot.. with no time to put exposed negs in for processing..

Do these Humidors hold up when transporting exposed negs.. on.. lets say.. in my instance, a long-haul flight from Germany to Australia?

Kind regards

Gene McCluney
22-Apr-2009, 14:44
Thanks for the replies everyone,

Santo, this PELICAN humidor seems like what I need, as I will be traveling immediately after my Location shoot.. with no time to put exposed negs in for processing..

Do these Humidors hold up when transporting exposed negs.. on.. lets say.. in my instance, a long-haul flight from Germany to Australia?

Kind regards

I think you still need to put your film back into film boxes, in the light-tight plastic bags. Then if you wish, put the boxed film into the humidor.

david ashley kerr
22-Apr-2009, 15:47
I think you still need to put your film back into film boxes, in the light-tight plastic bags. Then if you wish, put the boxed film into the humidor.

great, thanks Gene,

Although, these 'Humidors'.. the Pelicase brand does not call anything a 'Humidor' as such, but of course has the pressure valve as a standard on most of its cases,
and I don't know the effectiveness of these cases in keeping out moisture/humidity..

would these be the PELI Micro Cases that Santo Roman was referring to?

regards