PDA

View Full Version : Ries versus BERLEBACH wooden tripods

emo supremo
21-Apr-2009, 02:56
Is anyone in a position to debate the relative merits of Ries versus BERLEBACH wooden tripods? What i mean is, is this an apples and orange comparison or they expensive and inexpensive versions of a similar product?

While enquiring about the perfect tripod (and because there is an ongoing thread about Ries wood vs Manfrotto Al) I point out that a camera shop here in NYC lists what is a very good deal price wise over the Ries:

BERLEBACH WOODEN TRIPODS FOR FIELD CAMERAS Preferred by many for their vibration dampening qualities, these ash tripods have been made in Germany for over 100 years. We have selected and stock a model for 4x5 and a model for 8x10.

8023 model: 69" maximum height, 21" mimimum, weighs 6.2 lbs and folds to 27", it has a weight capacity of 22 lbs.
For 8x10 fields we recommend the 2042 model: 65" maximum height, 20.5" minimum, weighs 7.1 lbs and folds to 32", it has a weight capacity of 26.5 lbs.

Walter Calahan
21-Apr-2009, 04:43
Don't think it really matters. Comes down to personal taste. Me, I like supporting American companies, but I do own many German products. Both Ries and Berlebach have excellent damping characteristics. Wood works extremely well in winter.

Ries comes with a lifetime guarantee, and it is an easy phone call to Washington state if you need a replacement screw or such.

I own the Ries 4x5 and 8x10 models, with their corresponding heads.

David A. Goldfarb
21-Apr-2009, 05:00
The Ries tripods I've looked at seem a lot sturdier than the Berlbach tripods I've seen. Wolf is very similar to Berlbach, if you want to consider yet another option.

When I was last in the market for a tripod, I considered all three but eventually settled on one of the new Gitzo 6x CF legsets.

danieljgregory
21-Apr-2009, 07:15
I first purchased a Berlebach thinking it was a cheaper route to a tripod with the benefits of the ries. It came and worked well enough. The model I got allowed you to have three adjustments for the leg position with a click roller at the top of the legs--that seems great in the house but annoyed me often times in the field on uneven ground. The bottom part of the legs are easy to adjust and have measurements on them to help get the legs adjusted properly. The model I got also had a the ball head on top that allowed for some basic movements without an actual head. I used the tripod for about 3-4 months and after getting 5 mins of hands on time with one I purchased a ries. I now only shoot on the ries. I think that it has better stability and is much more robust in construction. The adjustments are easier on uneven ground and once a ries is set on the ground in position it doesn't move. I have had it in rivers, ocean tide pools, snow and uneven ground without any issues. I am considering getting their lightest tripod to hike with rather than upgrading my old lightweight tripod since I have upgrade to larger format and it was for 35mm. I agree with previous post that a lot of a tripod comes down to personal taste and for me the build quality and adjustablity of the ries won me over.

Joseph O'Neil
21-Apr-2009, 08:45
I use two Berlebachs myself, I like them very much, but I think the Ries is a better tripod overall.

For what it is worth, the comparison to me is like comparing a Cadillac to a Rolls.

joe

sultanofcognac
21-Apr-2009, 10:51
I have used a Berlebach 9043 for a few years now and have never had problems of stability anywhere at any time. The only concern is traveling - I still haven't found a good solution for keeping it alive when going by air short of putting it in my suitcase (it does take up loads of room). I therefore tend to take my photo excursions by train (or car).

For the price I'll stick with my Berlebach and Arca Swiss Z1 ball head, but I've not had the pleasure of handling a Ries. I'd bet which ever you decide to buy you will stick with it.

Johnny

Vaughn
21-Apr-2009, 15:48
With my 8x10 on my back, I weigh mighty close to 300 pounds (okay, maybe only 290lb). I can trust the Ries to help me maneuver over rough steep ground...such the hike I took up from Yosemite Valley on last Saturday -- a 1000 foot (vertical) climb up a scree slope with a creek crossing and snow to cross.

It is a sturdy son-of-a-gun.

Vaughn

Bob Salomon
21-Apr-2009, 15:53
Don't think it really matters. Comes down to personal taste. Me, I like supporting American companies, but I do own many German products. Both Ries and Berlebach have excellent damping characteristics. Wood works extremely well in winter.

Ries comes with a lifetime guarantee, and it is an easy phone call to Washington state if you need a replacement screw or such.

I own the Ries 4x5 and 8x10 models, with their corresponding heads.

It is an even easier call to NJ, and free - 800 735-4373, if you need a Berlebach part.

emo supremo
21-Apr-2009, 16:14
Thank you for the incisicive wisdom (and witticisms). Wish I could buy you guys (gals?) a cup of coffee and shoot with you.

I haven't given up on that bamboo (instead of ash/maple) idea I threaded about last week. However, my foot tendons are all torn up; I'm sorry but I broke down and actually splurged on the carbon Gitzo today for the 8x10. I know, I know, traitor but just think how stupid i'd look wandering around Middle Earth kicking orcas with a synthetic staff. Please be assured when either of these come on the used market I'm going to try a wood tripod. I'm dying to do a side by side comparison. Besides, wood absorbs vibration and thus would prefer my head bashed in with the cheaper wood tripod when my wife finds out how much I spent on the Gitzo.

It does mean it will hurt less, yes?

emo supremo
21-Apr-2009, 16:50
Oh, I almost forgot. The factor that tipped me from wood to carbon today was that you all should know Gitzo is giving 50-$100 rebates! Does this help absolve my sin?

emo supremo
21-Apr-2009, 17:00
Note, that before I started this thread I had searched for both names and missed this important hit started by Rob "John Henry" Rothman back in 1990 which describes good comparisons between these two tripods. If you are interested in this then you should also look for his thread with BERLEBACH in the title.

Jim Fitzgerald
21-Apr-2009, 21:40
With my 8x10 on my back, I weigh mighty close to 300 pounds (okay, maybe only 290lb). I can trust the Ries to help me maneuver over rough steep ground...such the hike I took up from Yosemite Valley on last Saturday -- a 1000 foot (vertical) climb up a scree slope with a creek crossing and snow to cross.

It is a sturdy son-of-a-gun.

Vaughn

Too bad i did not make it up there that weekend so i could have joined you with one of my Walnut tripods and the 11x14!

Jim

Fred L
22-Apr-2009, 08:41
Had two Berlebachs but sold one (here in fact) that was taller and had the ball head. Kept the shorter three legger for travel. Also have a Ries with the two way head and it's my main tripod for 4x5 and 8x10.

What I really like about the Ries over the Berlebachs is that I can lock the leg spread which makes moving the tripod around easier while composing and also is steadier imho. The head is also quite solid. The ball head of the Berlebach was the main selling point for me even though the one I kept doesn't have it :o

If price is a factor, the Berlebachs have the edge.

Bob Salomon
22-Apr-2009, 09:39
Had two Berlebachs but sold one (here in fact) that was taller and had the ball head. Kept the shorter three legger for travel. Also have a Ries with the two way head and it's my main tripod for 4x5 and 8x10.

What I really like about the Ries over the Berlebachs is that I can lock the leg spread which makes moving the tripod around easier while composing and also is steadier imho. The head is also quite solid. The ball head of the Berlebach was the main selling point for me even though the one I kept doesn't have it :o

If price is a factor, the Berlebachs have the edge.

Fred,

Berlebach has lots of different models in lots of sizes. In each size series the factory offers a choice of no leg spread lock adjustments or variable leg spread lock adjustments.

Here in the USA we only import and stock models with the leg spread lock adjustment. The drawback to having that control is that it adds a little weight to the tripod. The benefit is that you don't have to use a chain, string or rope to limit the leg spread angles.

From your statement it appears that you had a version without the leg spread lock adjustments. Or do you mean that once you have set the leg angle you can lock the leg at that angle so it will not spread or fold from that angle? If so then that is a feature of the Berlebach UNI series which is the larger Berelbach tripod series.

Fred L
22-Apr-2009, 15:41
Bob,

I had the spread stops, not locks. The defined leg angles was fine for awhile because it was quick to set. I now prefer the Ries locks where I can lock the legs at any spread but really miss the Berlebach leveling head.

Bob Salomon
22-Apr-2009, 15:52
Bob,

I had the spread stops, not locks. The defined leg angles was fine for awhile because it was quick to set. I now prefer the Ries locks where I can lock the legs at any spread but really miss the Berlebach leveling head.

The Berlebach UNI series does that and a leveling ball is available. But as the Uni series is much heavier it is also more expensive.

Fred L
22-Apr-2009, 16:35
what are trying to do Bob ? I almost have my GAS under control ;)

Luis-F-S
4-Jun-2014, 09:52
To resurrect and old thread, I have a Berlebach Report 2042, a Ries J100 and A100. I also have one of the black Tiltalls and 2 large Gitzos. The Gitzos I bought when I did interiors and need more height than I could get from the Ries. They now sit in the corner of the studio. The Ries J100 I bought in 1989 and is still my main tripod. I've bought and sold many a tripod over the last 25 years, and always kept the Ries. I bought the Berlebach through this forum and just ordered a center column with a 3/8" screw. I'll see when it comes in how it handles with the larger cameras. I've had an 8x10 Deardorff on the J100 Ries with their J200 head with no issues. I recently bought an A100 in great shape for the 8x10 through this forum and just ordered a new A200 head from Ries. They said their new castings are lighter and better than their old ones. I can't wait for it to come in and try it out. I also have a J250 head, but always end up with the J200 head as it's lighter, steadier and easier to use. It's easy to level left/right with the tripod legs. You can keep carbon, if I only had one tripod; it would be a Ries. L

Jeff Dexheimer
4-Jun-2014, 19:31
I used a Berlebach for field for several months a few years ago. I no longer have that tripod... traded it for a Al tripod. I don't regret it for a minute. I find the Al tripod is more flexible and gives me more freedom in my set-up. Plus if I remember correctly, my Berlebach was a pain to carry. Everyone's experience is different, so best you can do is try a wooden tripod if you find one and compare it to an Al or CF tripod and see which one gives you the best value for the money.

Kimberly Anderson
4-Jun-2014, 20:06
I've had both. Reis wins hands down.

gnuyork
5-Jun-2014, 14:09
I have never tried a Ries, only viewed pictures online. They look very nice. That being said I found a great deal on a Berlebach and absolutely love the tripod. No issues with it at all. In fact you can get away shooting 4x5 without a head.

I have since purchased a FLM head with tilt lock for it. A great setup.

Mark Sawyer
5-Jun-2014, 14:42
I've used both. The Berlebach is very nice. The Ries is even better.

Alan Gales
5-Jun-2014, 15:42
I have owned and used both. They are each wonderful tripods and I have found both companies to be great to deal with.

I prefer the Ries for the leg locks and the Ries heads. If leg locks are not important to you and if you don't want to use a Ries head then Berlebach is a great choice. The leveling head on the Berlebach is a nice feature too.

evan clarke
5-Jun-2014, 16:00
VS a great Gitzo carbon.. I use mine up to 11x14

brucetaylor
5-Jun-2014, 16:22
I have both. Haven't used the Ries much, got it recently from a forum member. They are really different. The Ries is a beautiful machine. Very well made, fine design, top notch hardware and engineering. They didn't scrimp on anything. It's a bit heavy, and takes a bit longer to set up (it has twice as many leg clamps).

My Berlebach is not as nicely made. They used less expensive materials, the hardware quality is not even close to the Ries. It costs MUCH less. It works well. It is faster for me to set up the Berlebach. But mainly it's lighter, and that makes a huge difference to me if I'm going to be carrying gear for awhile. I got a tripod strap from eBay that makes carrying it very easy, and I can use the self leveling top instead of a head if the movements aren't too extreme-- saving more weight. For me, they are both great (I like wood tripods), but they're best at different things.

N Dhananjay
5-Jun-2014, 19:54
The Ries can be used without a head since the leg locks let you level it. Other designs almost demand a head, preferably a 3 way leveling head to get things level. The Ries is a bit of an uncompromising design - it gives a solid, steady platform to hold heavy cameras with intuitive and well thought controls. But there are no trade-offs - they sacrifice other attributes that might matter to you. Although if you work with large, heavy cameras, you could build a good case for this set of trade offs being at a very good place. DJ

c.d.ewen
6-Jun-2014, 05:21
If you've got a big Ries and need a nice, cheap carrying case for it, here's a thread (http://www.largeformatphotography.info/forum/showthread.php?53847-Cheap-Ries-bag) you should read. Still thanking civich for the OP. And the bag's still going strong 5 years later.

Charley

Jac@stafford.net
6-Jun-2014, 05:31
I got the Berlebach back when it was an inexpensive alternative tripod. It is pretty, but I don't care for it. For LF I use a beat-up old Manfroto or a gigantic old converted wooden surveyor's tripod.

John Kasaian
6-Jun-2014, 06:33
I haven't used a Berlebach to compare, but both my Ries have given excellent service.