PDA

View Full Version : crack in condensor

Degroto
20-Apr-2009, 13:43
Hi,

I just picked up an enlarger for 13x18 cm format. But it has a slight crack in one of the condensorlenses. The crack is about 5 cm long and there is a bit of a squere cm the you can see quite good. I was wondering if that will be visible on the photo? Can it be repaired (in the same way maybe they repair a star in the windscreen?)

I will post a picture tomorrow. I will have some other questions perhaps as well. Thanks for your patience.

Regards,

Peter

Ps it was for free and the crack was known.

Heroique
20-Apr-2009, 14:11
I may be able to offer some general help, based on what I’ve learned from Omega’s D-series condenser enlargers.

Smaller scratches usually won’t show up in a print, but if I understand your post, it sounds like you have something more – a gouge, about a square centimeter.

That may be trouble, or it may not be. The closer your blemish is to the center of the condenser lens, the worse. If it’s to the far side, it may be no problem at all.

If your blemish is on just one condenser lens, try placing that lens in the top position. It will be furthest from the negative, and less likely to show up.

In any case, you should try a simple test:

First, put a negative in your carrier, and place it in the enlarger. Next, focus your negative sharply on nice paper. Now, remove the carrier, remove your negative, and return the (empty) carrier back to its original position. (Don’t re-focus at this point.)

Now, examine your “image-less” projection falling onto your paper – is the scratch visible?

If not, that’s good news – but you should still make a print from this “image-less” projection, and make a close inspection of that, too. ;)

Degroto
21-Apr-2009, 03:41
Thanks for the reply. I will try it out as soon as I have a lightbulb for it. Any tips what kind of wattage i can put in it? Or rather should? It says it can take a max of 500 watt butt should I?
It is a Meopta Magnitarus 13x18 enlarger. I am also searching the internet for more info on this one.

Below are 2 pics. The tapemessure is in cm.
http://farm4.static.flickr.com/3520/3461700885_ed31a092bf.jpg
http://farm4.static.flickr.com/3529/3462516284_7a3fb59d76.jpg

So is this something that can be repaired if necsasary the way they do with a star in the windscreen of a car?

Thanks,

Peter

Gary Beasley
21-Apr-2009, 06:15
Since this is a collimating lens the answer is yes. I would however do what you can to protect the repair from excess heat, such as heat absorbing glass over the condensors, to avoid thermal expansion from unseating the repair.

Degroto
21-Apr-2009, 09:19
Ok. Thanks that can be promising. I did the check and there is a dark corner from the crack. But if it is repairable. However I think these are not the original condensor. On the meopta website it says the enlarger has condensor lenses with a diameter of 240 mm and not the 215 mm as mine are. Hmmmmm geuss that will be scouting for the correct condensors. Or repairing them whatever is cheapest.
Thanks for the answers.

Gary Beasley
21-Apr-2009, 10:31
They may be a supplementary set for use with shorter focal length lenses, ie smaller format than the enlargers maximum size. I wouldn't toss them.

Peter K
21-Apr-2009, 10:45
They may be a supplementary set for use with shorter focal length lenses, ie smaller format than the enlargers maximum size. I wouldn't toss them.
A condensor has to project the filament of the lamp in the diaphragm plane of the enlarging lens. So this condensor cannot used with another focal lenght.

Degroto
21-Apr-2009, 13:49
A condensor has to project the filament of the lamp in the diaphragm plane of the enlarging lens. So this condensor cannot used with another focal lenght.

So I need the 240 mm condensor to work correctly with the 210 mm enlarging lens? Hmmm maybe I should convert it to a difuse enlarger then? Questions questions. Need to think this one over. In the meantime it will make for an interesting coatrack.:D

Degroto
15-Jul-2011, 03:04
I still haven't come around rebuilding it. So I aim going to get rid of it. If anyone in the netherlands is interested come pick it up. And I bought myself a different enlarger that goes up to 10x10.