PDA

View Full Version : Reliable shops

Shigehiro Ishii
29-Oct-1998, 11:57
I'm thinking buying a 11x14 feild camera after I've been working a 8x10 and 4x5 for 6 years. Clayton Classic Camera offers a Deardorff and I sent inquires howev er there has been no responce. Does any has bought something at there ? Other s hops tend to respond soon and give me information. It's expensive so I'd like to buy from reliable shops.

Michael Kadillak
30-Oct-1998, 14:47
I have purchased a couple of accessory items from them and had no problem. But I heard a story from another photographer who had purchased a camera from them and had a couple of problems. First, the rating of a particular camera was less than advertised. Secondly, the bellows needed to be replaced. While they did replace the bellows and adjusted the price for the condition, I get concerned because it starts to enter into the "grey" area of a financial transaction. And that area is purely subjective.

Spending the kind of money that a good field 11 x 14 commands, I would find a way to personally inspect the purchase if possible. Otherwise, I would make sure you have a 10 day no questions asked return policy in writing. If Clayton Camera has not returned your calls, do you think that it will be any better after the purchase ?

I personally would go to Plan B. Since 11 x 14 is a very specialized format, be patient. I would check private sales in the classified adds of View Camera or other sources.

Good Luck

Sean Billy Bob Boy yates
31-Oct-1998, 01:25
Not sure where you're based, but try calling them during U.S. Midwest business hours. Ask for paul Mayberry. I have purchased my first & second 8 X 10's from them and been quite happy. My second camera from them, a trade, required a new bellows. They reimburssed me when I sent them a copy of the reciept. I have been quite happy with both my transactions with them. In general they seem to favor the lower end of the price scale. However, I would agree with Mr. Kadillak, bide your time and look around! A personal inspection for a $3k U.S. purchase seems in order - make sure there is a reasonable inspection period and no restocking fee. Find out in advance who pays shipping charges.