PDA

View Full Version : Tiny Tiny Petzval Lens?

sdivot
19-Apr-2009, 13:17
I wasn't sure where to put this post, but I thought the best folks to answer a petzval lens question would be here in the LF forum. I've also posted this over at APUG.
I have purchased a couple of the wee petzval lenses from Jim Galli. I adapted them to my pentax 67 using parts from Lowes. They work better than expected (I have posted a few images and pics of the first lens over at APUG a while ago). I'm so pleased with this setup, I can't stand it. You can see many images made with this setup on my website.

Before I ask my question, I'll say that I have cameras from 35mm to 12x20 and I love them all for various reasons. The big cameras generally stay at home due to my physical limitations. A year ago I had a double lung transplant, and although I'm doing great, I still cannot lug a huge camera around. The MF setup I cobbled together is everything I ever wanted as a great compromise.

My wife and I are going to Italy for two weeks in June and early July. I just cannot see taking the Pentax rig with me, and LF stuff is out of the question. I have back and ankle problems, and we will do a lot of walking, which just adds to the BS I have to deal with. I'm afraid I will have to go digital for this trip (please forgive me. I don't like it any more than you do ). This brings me to my crazy question:
If I could figure out a way to have a 35mm version of my MF Pentax setup, I would be thrilled. Would anyone know a practical way (without a PhD in optics or mechanical engineering) to build a petzval lens that is small enough to get the desired edge effects on a 35mm camera?
Has anyone ever done this, or do you think SK Grimes would build me a simple one mounted in a tube that I could fashion into a push/pull focusing setup? Another option would be buying the lens elements from Edmunds and making it myself. Unfortunately, I wouldn't know where to begin with this.

I know this is not strictly in the realm of large format, but if you all could help out a kindred spirit, I would appreciate it a great deal. I'm just brainstorming about this and wondering if anyone has any thoughts on the subject before I spin my wheels and start pursuing it further....

Thanks,
Steve
www.scdowellphoto.com

Emil Schildt
19-Apr-2009, 13:38
have a look here.. Not sure if it is the right choise, but it sure is small....

(beware:I might make a bid or two on this one...;-))

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&ssPageName=STRK:MEWAX:IT&item=350191993555

Dan Fromm
19-Apr-2009, 14:00
If you can live with fixed aperture and short back focus, many, not all, projection lenses for 8/8, S8, and 16 mm cine projectors are Petzval types. The short back focus means that these lenses won't clear a 35 mm SLR's mirror, but if you have the money and Grimes has the time (don't know how their backlog is these days) they should be able to adapt one of them to, e.g., a thread mount Leica or Soviet clone.

You might also consider having an S8 or 8/8 projector lens adapted to a mini-4/3 (is that the right name) format digital camera. I have a few friends who are going nuts adapting cine camera lenses to these confections ...

Good luck, have fun,

Dan

RickV
20-Apr-2009, 02:45
Having browsed through your portfolio, Steve (and at the grave risk of being burnt at the stake by the forum) perhaps a Lensbaby would provide you with an effective 35mm solution. Your Alt processing skills would further enhance the result.

sdivot
20-Apr-2009, 13:36
bitterandtwisted,
Thanks for the reply. I do have a new Lensbaby, and I like it. But it's much different than the Petzval lens. I will definitely be taking the Lensbaby to Italy, but I would love to find some sort of Petzval lens that I could adapt to the 35mm.
Thanks,
Steve
www.scdowellphoto.com

Jim Galli
20-Apr-2009, 13:53
I sold a 50mm Petzval to Stefan (stehei here at LFForum). He had it mounted for a digital camera. Send him a PM and get him to share what / how he did that. I never could get it close enough to a sensor on my D200. I could do close up type pics but not normal. Maybe he cobbled it to a rangefinder. It would have to be a RF with a really large sensor to still have the petzval look though. A 50mm would need the whole 35mm area to look Petzvally.

Archphoto
20-Apr-2009, 19:09
You never tried that baby Petzval onto a Leica M3 ?
The M3 had a back that could be opened for focussing without film in it...... could have been nice !
Or mounting it onto a micro-4/3rds

Peter

Barrie Watts
21-Apr-2009, 11:43
I've started using a 55mm f1.8 Petzval on my Nikon F90x with film. It has a great look to it and it can focus from infinity to close up without too much trouble. I couldn't get the same look on my D200 the sensor is way too small. You need to use full frame 35mm to get the 'Petzval Look'. I think my lens was used for an old cine camera.

Barrie

www.barriewatts.co.uk

walter23
21-Apr-2009, 11:51
A year ago I had a double lung transplant

Uhhh, what? That's possible now? Wow.

walter23
21-Apr-2009, 11:52
Nice stuff on your website, BTW.

argos33
21-Apr-2009, 14:07
Steve,
By 35mm do you mean a digital SLR? Is weight/bulk the main concern then? What if you could adapt the lens on your pentax (or similar but smaller) to the front of a Holga? That way you could still get medium format and it would weigh nothing. The challenge of course would be focusing, but with shims and/or a helical I bet you could rig something up without too much trouble. Another option might be to mount a small petzval (like the one gandolfi points out) onto a 6x6 folder. You wouldn't be able to close it obviously but it wouldn't take up much space/weight.

sdivot
21-Apr-2009, 15:28
Walter,
Yep, they cracked open my sternum and out with the old, in with the new (not really that easy). Medical science....you can't beat it. Of course all the drugs I take introduce a whole new set of issues, but you can't have everything. Where would you put it?

Thanks for the compliment on the website. I always appreciate compliments since most of us usually toil away in obscurity.

Argos33,
I was pretty much talking about a DSLR. I have to carry a tremendous amount of medication in my carry-on bag. The idea of carrying a couple of big cameras, along with a ton of film, on top of the meds and everything else just doesn't seems logistically feasible.
I have my eye on the lens gandolfi pointed out (thanks, by the way), but we'll see.

Steve
www.scdowellphoto.com

life_in_sepia
24-Apr-2009, 09:47
Steve, your tintypes of the dogs are superb! Really fantastic. Keep up the great work. ed

sdivot
24-Apr-2009, 18:09
Ed,
Thanks for the compliment. Those are obviously "modern" tintypes, using digital negatives and printed using liquid emulsion on metal under an enlarger light.
I think when we return from our trip to Italy in July, I'm going to embark on learning the wet plate collodion process. Not sure how I can continue the dog series with real wet plate, but I'll give it some thought....
Best,
Steve
www.scdowellphoto.com

stehei
21-May-2009, 01:47
Stumbled across this thread,
I did buy a mini petzval from Jim, and it turns out to be a great lens,
I cannot shoot at infinity, but till 1 meter approximately,
I bought a t2 canon eos adapter and had the thread cut out,
so the lens would fit as close to the mirror as possible. Works
great,

I would be VERY interested if anybody could point out how I can