PDA

View Full Version : LF recommendations for instant transfer

davidwaugh
18-Apr-2009, 03:21
In two weeks I am about to go and work in a remote community in central Australia as a Youth Worker... one 'program' I'd love to instigate involves using instant transfer as a medium to record themselves and cultural events. I also think it would be incredibly fun and nice to do something more 'hands on' - especially seeing so much of the program already is computer related (video production, music, web etc).

Now to my question. I am a complete LF newbie! Sorry ;-) I use MF (Hasselblad) personally, but obviously the instant transfer lends itself to LF for size. I guess I will need a 4x5 view camera with a polaroid back (I guess I will be using Fuji FP100c) and around a 150mm lens (mainly portraits I think). That's about the limit of my knowledge! As I'll be buying it personally, I would love recommendations that might be closer to US$1000 mark rather than 5K.

I would really appreciate any guidance. It doesn't really matter if it's a true field camera as I think I will setup a little makeshift studio although postage to get their might necessitate it! Any accessories I will need?

Thanks very much. I know these newbie questions like this can be really tiresome but I just wanted some real user advice :-) And I heard you were all a bunch of great people!

Gem Singer
18-Apr-2009, 03:52
I would use a digital camera and an inkjet printer.

Lots of advantages for, what essentially sounds like identification portraits.

Much less bother and less expensive than a LF camera and instant film.

davidwaugh
18-Apr-2009, 04:22
Thanks Gem but there's enough digital work already and I would prefer to do something more 'hands on'. They certainly aren't identification portraits at all - way off the mark and a little patronising to be honest.

Gene McCluney
18-Apr-2009, 09:28
Have you researched the "transfer" qualities of Fuji Instant Films? If I recall correctly, I read that they were "more difficult" to get to work for that purpose. But, of course, they are the only choice now.

As far as your lens choice, you should be aware that a 150mm lens on 4x5 is about the same as a 50mm lens on a 35mm camera, or in other words, a "normal" lens. Most head and shoulder portraits are shot with a "longer" or "more" telephoto lens. On 4x5 that would be a 210mm.

For lowest cost initial investment, you might consider a fold up Press Camera, as they would be more than adequate for your needs, and are compact for transportation. Models such as a Crown Graphic, Speed Graphic, Super Graphic. Newer models from Toyo and Horseman are also fine cameras, although the newer models are not cheap. You might also consider a simple monorail camera such as an older Calumet or Graphic View. With an older, but adequate camera, your total investment could be under $1000, except for your ongoing need for film.

The best advice I could give you is to get all your kit, and learn to use it here, so there won't be any surprises when you are out in the field. Learn to do the image transfer here.

One last thing..the Fuji film is PACK film, and requires a Pack Film back, which is much thicker than a standard 4x5 film holder, and may not slide in under the ground glass of older cameras. It WILL slide in on all cameras equipped with a Graflok back, though, or on a Graflok back equipped camera, you can attach the Fuji Pack Back in place of the ground glass if you so desire.

davidwaugh
18-Apr-2009, 16:10
Thanks Gene - that's great info. Much appreciated. I think the 50mm (35 equiv) will be perfect as they will probably be more envionmental portraits - this is really just a fun way to capture a culture. I just love the idea of each transfer being an 'original' and I think the local community will warm to the novelty of it all! The indigenous people are hardly tech luddites - they use a high end video suite using Final Cut Pro, music studio and have Mac Pros with terrabyte drives! Frankly digital cameras and inkjet prints will just be boring.

Interesting your comments re: transfer of the Fuji film - will have to look into that. I really need to learn more about that but hard to find that here in Australia (Fuji never returned calls or emails). Hopefully someone else here could shed more light on that. I don't even know what rollers, press etc. are needed. Not even sure where to buy in Australia! Dealers I spoke to just couldn't point me in any direction.

Film costs should be OK because if it proves a winner then the Program can cover it.

Gem Singer
18-Apr-2009, 17:20
David, you are correct. I was giving you fatherly advice, based on my own 63 years of experience (I still learn something new every day).

Please do not mis-understand what I was trying to convey. I am devoted to large format photography, and will probably use and process film for the remainder of my life.

I was merely attempting to save you from the need to climb a very steep learning curve.

davidwaugh
18-Apr-2009, 18:51
David, you are correct. I was giving you fatherly advice, based on my own 63 years of experience (I still learn something new every day).

Please do not mis-understand what I was trying to convey. I am devoted to large format photography, and will probably use and process film for the remainder of my life.

I was merely attempting to save you from the need to climb a very steep learning curve.

I shouldn't have been so quick either - sorry! I certainly see your point and appreciate where you are coming from. I guess the steep learning curve is in fact what I am most looking forward to :-) Hopefully that same learning curve will be shared amongst other people who show an interest also and the 'process' will be what makes the progam interesting; not necessarily the final result.

I do make photography hard for myself... I am actually an PhotoShop certified trainer, teach Aperture and work almost every day on D3, Hassy digi and 1Dsmk111 files as a graphic designer and retoucher. But I have only shot film now for the last 10 years and none of my cameras have a light meter and most are over 50 years old :-) And yes, my pictures are mostly crap, but gee I have some fun taking them! :-)

Gem Singer
18-Apr-2009, 19:32
David,

If Polaroid instant color film were still available, your project would have been a piece of cake. However, as you know, it isn't.

I'm not certain that Fuji instant color film will transfer as well as the former Polaroid film, and you will need to use a Fuji film holder with the Fuji instant film.

As far as camera and lens, I suggest that you start with a Chamonix 4X5 and 135mm lens from either Schneider or Rodenstock. You will also need a meter (preferably a spot meter), a focusing loupe, and a dark cloth. This kit should be available in Australia.

Best of luck with your project. It's the beginning of a long journey, but it will be well worth the effort.

shmoo
18-Apr-2009, 20:25
http://www.fujifilmusa.com/shared/bin/CableRelease_May_2008_CR08.pdf

Try this website...Fuji's transfer process.

panchro-press
18-Apr-2009, 21:52
Does the location you'll be going to lend itself to processing conventional b&w film? If it does, I'd like to suggest cyanotypes. It would certainly be 'hands on' and would produce a gift unlikely to be duplicated. Just a thought.

-30-

davidwaugh
19-Apr-2009, 03:19
Thank you everyone - that's a great start point. Appreciate all your time. Will let you know how I go.