PDA

View Full Version : "silver magnet"

Joseph O'Neil
16-Apr-2009, 18:02
I used to have one of these years ago, until it stopped working. Not sure if any of you remember then, but they used an electrode to recover silver form used fixer.

Anybody still make these things? The only units I can find new are great big things more aimed at commercial labs.

I also remember some book years ago that had plans to make your own, electrode based silver recovery unit. Two rods, steel and carbon of some kind, but I cannot find it. anybody remember that book or those plans?

thanks
joe

Jim Noel
16-Apr-2009, 18:11
Any electrolysis setup will work. The anode and cathode need to be of differing metals. The silver will collect on one. Use battery, or battery charger for current.

jnantz
16-Apr-2009, 18:23
porter's camera store sells them
i think they are porters.com ...

Jeff Bannow
17-Apr-2009, 10:21
They do still sell them. $46 for the unit, $18 for a replacement cell.

Silver Magnet (http://porters.com/Merchant2/merchant.mvc?Screen=PROD&Store_Code=PCS&Product_Code=221063&Product_Count=&Category_Code=)

Joseph O'Neil
18-Apr-2009, 09:45
They do still sell them. $46 for the unit, $18 for a replacement cell.

Silver Magnet (http://porters.com/Merchant2/merchant.mvc?Screen=PROD&Store_Code=PCS&Product_Code=221063&Product_Count=&Category_Code=)

Exactly what I was looking for. thanks much
joe

Oren Grad
18-Apr-2009, 22:52
I have one downstairs in the darkroom, plucking silver from my used fixer at this very moment, one atom at a time. Or so it seems...

Got it from Porter's.

bjames
19-Apr-2009, 20:11
Can anyone who uses one tell me how long it takes before you can dump a gallon of Fix. Im guessing porter can tell me but thought I would ask. Thanks for all the good input.

bwlf
17-May-2015, 15:00
I see the Silver Recovery products are now available from Digital Truth.com, including the Silver Magnet from $68.95 and Silver Trap Trickle Tank from $179.95
http://www.digitaltruth.com/store/cart/Silver-Recovery/

jnantz
17-May-2015, 17:00
Can anyone who uses one tell me how long it takes before you can dump a gallon of Fix. Im guessing porter can tell me but thought I would ask. Thanks for all the good input.

you will have a hard time calling porters, they are out of business ( since 2 februarys ago )
the magnet is not a fast process, neither is a trickle tank ...

i am a distributor and sell them through d-truth.
you can buy them directly from me if you would like.
there are several size trickle tanks 3.5 gallon, and 7 gallon,
in addition to a very very small one ...
i also sell test strips to determine the levels of silver before and after the magnet or trickle tanks are used.

Liquid Artist
18-May-2015, 16:27
you will have a hard time calling porters, they are out of business ( since 2 februarys ago )
the magnet is not a fast process, neither is a trickle tank ...

i am a distributor and sell them through d-truth.
you can buy them directly from me if you would like.
there are several size trickle tanks 3.5 gallon, and 7 gallon,
in addition to a very very small one ...
i also sell test strips to determine the levels of silver before and after the magnet or trickle tanks are used.

jnanian,
I'm on the road around 200 days a year, at this time.
As a result I develop my film in a motel room, or wherever else I can.
Would one of those systems be portable and quick enough to use on the road?
I often only have hours for developing rather than days.

jnantz
18-May-2015, 17:56
hi liquid artist
my guess is you use your fixer 1 shot ? or do you use it to exhaustion ?
we have small / portable trickle tanks that might be useful, i will have to
get a price for you because my pricelist might not have the correct pricing on it ...
it is something that a vet or dental lab might use, and it doesn't need fully exhausted fixer like a magnet.

thanks for your interest
john

Liquid Artist
18-May-2015, 19:29
Thanks John,
Your right, I use my fixer 1 shot.
It's hard enough bringing along a 1L bottle of concentrate. Plus more bottles means a bigger chance of a mishap.

jnantz
19-May-2015, 04:46
hi again

i just checked to make sure ...

the small trickle tank units are expensive, small, but expensive.
and you don't use your fix enough to warrent the least expensive tool i sell ( magnet ) ..
i will look around for something else that might be of some help .. sorry i came up empty ...

john