PDA

View Full Version : Efke/Adox Product Question

Michael Kadillak
16-Apr-2009, 14:46
I have been making some photographs with some older Efke 25 in 8x10 and experiencing some excellent results and felt that I would acquire more of it. When I go to Freestyle I see Adox pan 25, Adox Ortho 25 and Efke Ortho 25. Does anyone know which if these is the closest (or equal) to the older Efke 25 that I have been shooting? If Freestyle the best place to purchase it?

How does the ASA 50 film stack up against the ASA 25?

Thanks in advance.

Cheers!

Gene McCluney
16-Apr-2009, 15:01
It is my understanding that Efke 25 and Adox pan 25 are the same film, just different labels. The Adox Ortho 25 and Efke Ortho 25 should be the same also. Unless your film states that it is "Ortho" what you have is the standard Efke 25 panchromatic emulsion which is also sold under the Adox pan 25 label.

Michael Kadillak
16-Apr-2009, 15:28
Thanks Gene. I appreciate the assistance.

Lenny Eiger
16-Apr-2009, 17:23
Thanks Gene. I appreciate the assistance.

I can confirm what Gene said.... I got it directly from Freestyle...

Lenny

Jim Fitzgerald
16-Apr-2009, 19:13
Michael, I love the Efke 25. I have been using it in 8x10 and 11x14! I love the tonality of this film for the images I produce. I can confirm what the others have said. I need to eventually get some more 8x10.

Jim

Michael Kadillak
16-Apr-2009, 19:57
Michael, I love the Efke 25. I have been using it in 8x10 and 11x14! I love the tonality of this film for the images I produce. I can confirm what the others have said. I need to eventually get some more 8x10.

Jim

Amen brother Jim.

The film holds its own with no excuses in spite of occasional defects. Over time you can learn to minimize self induced damage associated with its soft emulsion and let it do what it does best. I was shooting some Efke 25 that I had in my freezer for more than five years and it was as clear as a bell. Glad that an inventory review kick me in gear to give this film a second try. I see it as a great priced film that has excellent frozen longevity characteristics.

Michael Kadillak
16-Apr-2009, 21:26
When I took the time to look deeper in the offerings for Efke 25 on the Freestyle website I find that they have boxes of 50 sheets of 8x10 labeled Efke 25 that just so happens to be the best value per sheet. that said it is good to know the cross labeling of the same product. Seeing all of the available films was a pleasant experience.

Cheers!

Gene McCluney
16-Apr-2009, 22:12
When I took the time to look deeper in the offerings for Efke 25 on the Freestyle website I find that they have boxes of 50 sheets of 8x10 labeled Efke 25 that just so happens to be the best value per sheet. that said it is good to know the cross labeling of the same product. Seeing all of the available films was a pleasant experience.

Cheers!

The "Best Value" on film is the Arista.edu.ultra which is Fomapan, and the ISO 100 is $99.95 per 50 sheet box for 8x10 which is about $30 less per box than the Efke 50 sheet boxes.

Jim Fitzgerald
17-Apr-2009, 11:14
The "Best Value" on film is the Arista.edu.ultra which is Fomapan, and the ISO 100 is $99.95 per 50 sheet box for 8x10 which is about $30 less per box than the Efke 50 sheet boxes.

Gene, this is true. The Arista is a great value. Too bad they dropped the 11x14! The one thing I like about the Efke is the better reciprocity it has along with the great sharpness with minimal agitation in tanks with Pyrocat-HD.

Jim

Drew Wiley
17-Apr-2009, 11:26
Efke R25 and Adox R25 are the same thing. Different from the Arista-branded films. A
rather unique film with extremely long scale, high contrast, and orthopan sensitivity.
For 120 use, even sharper than Pan F, but with a straight line which goes on forever,
so far more versatile. Wish it wasn't so fragile in sheets. I rate it at true ASA25 for PMK.

Jim Fitzgerald
17-Apr-2009, 13:20
Drew, I love the Efke 25 for all that you mention. I shoot it at box speed and I think, at least for me, when I develop it in Pyrocat-HD and minimal agitation I get negatives that are a real treat to print in carbon transfer. The extra contrast really helps. I can shoot this in bright sun and hold the entire range of tones in the print.

Jim

Arne Croell
19-Apr-2009, 11:34
It is my understanding that Efke 25 and Adox pan 25 are the same film, just different labels. The Adox Ortho 25 and Efke Ortho 25 should be the same also. Unless your film states that it is "Ortho" what you have is the standard Efke 25 panchromatic emulsion which is also sold under the Adox pan 25 label.

No, thats not the case! Note that there are 2 different Adox ISO 25 emulsions. The equivalent of the Efke is the Adox CHS 25 Art, made by Efke - note the 1st sentence in their writeup (http://www.freestylephoto.biz/126245-Adox-CHS-25-Art-4x5-50-sheets?cat_id=404): "These films are old school emulsions which are still produced according to the old ADOX formulations which were introduced in the 1950s".

The Adox Pan 25 (http://www.freestylephoto.biz/12945-Adox-Pan-25-iso-25-4x5-25-sheets?cat_id=404) is a new addition to their line most likely made by Filmotec in Germany, a modernized version of the Orwopan 25 made by Orwo in the GDR. Here is the description: "Adox PAN 25 film is a modern technology film with a very fine grain emulsion coated on a clear PET base for archival permanence and structural stability."As roll film and 35mm, that emulsion is also sold by Maco under the Rolleipan 25 name.

Gene McCluney
19-Apr-2009, 14:31
No, thats not the case! Note that there are 2 different Adox ISO 25 emulsions.

Yes Indeed, you are correct. I guess it is more correct to say that all the Efke films have Adox counterparts, IN ADDITION TO other films Adox markets under the Adox name.

Drew Wiley
19-Apr-2009, 15:19
There were two different Efke versions. My own reference was to R25, which is also
marketed under the Adox label. It is the one of "old school" single emulsion coating,
orthopanchromatic, with the capability of handling extreme brigthness ranges. To futher complicate things, there is now an alleged substitute for TechPan being marketed as a nominal ASA20 film.

Arne Croell
20-Apr-2009, 08:36
There were two different Efke versions. My own reference was to R25, which is also
marketed under the Adox label. It is the one of "old school" single emulsion coating,
orthopanchromatic, with the capability of handling extreme brigthness ranges. To futher complicate things, there is now an alleged substitute for TechPan being marketed as a nominal ASA20 film.

Drew, as far as I know the "R" stood for roll film (i.e. 120) in both the original Adox and the later Efke versions, the same film (probably except for the base) was sold as "KB" in 35mm (stood for "Kleinbild" =small picture=35mm in German). The old Adox versions from the 1950's used the speed in DIN instead of the ASA number, so KB 14 then was the later KB 25 or R 25 (apparently gaining 1/3rd EV in the process). I think the Efke sheet film version was termed "PL" (for "Planfilm") in German - at least Maco sold it under that name for a while. I am not 100% sure but would assume that the new CHS name is only that - a name to distinguish the Efke films from the Filmotec films and others in the present Adox lineup.

Rick Moore
20-Apr-2009, 10:26
The Adox web site describes the meaning of CHS as:

"CHS stands for Cubiccrystal Heterodispers Single- Layer, which means the emulsion is made up of classic cubic crystals which are mixed in different sizes and coated in one layer."

Doug Herta
23-Apr-2009, 17:17
I bought a box of the Adox Ortho 25. Can I develop under a red safelight or is it a complete darkness event?