PDA

View Full Version : Water Spots on Negative

Tim Kimbler
28-Oct-1998, 21:52
I have had good luck developing TMAX 100 with my Jobo tank and an old rotary dri ve base. My question is how do you remove water spots left after development? I hang the negatives from a string and let them air dry, yet water spots are oft en left on the negatives.

Peter Hughes
28-Oct-1998, 23:53
I presume you're using Photo-Flo 200 @ 1:200 as a final rinse. If so, and you're still getting spots, try mixing your Photo-Flo in distilled or filtered water. If all else fails, mix all your solutions in distilled water and install a filtering system on your water line for washing. As for removing the spots you already have, rewash and treat in Photo-Flo. That should do it.

Michael Kadillak
28-Oct-1998, 23:54
Are you mixing your chemistry with tap water ? In certain parts of the country, public water can be downright nasty. I would suggest making a run with chemistry mixed using distilled water. The spots could be residue from undesirables in the tap water. I use a JOBO CPP2 and use distilled water and have not had a problem.

james mickelson
1-Nov-1998, 23:03
Distilled water is the way to go with the addition of photoflow 1:400. But don't mix all your chemistry with distilled water because you are mostly interested in keeping spots from developing when the film dries. Just use distilled for the final washing. Most of your washing can be done with regular tap water and just the last couple of minutes with distilled and photoflow. Of course you can also use a mild dish soap as a surfactant. Just make sure you dilute it very well. A drop per two or three gallons. I've never had any spots and I have really cr--py water. Try it.

Tom Johnston
25-Nov-1998, 11:39
I would recommend that you use distilled water not only for your final rinse, but also for your developer. Stop, fix, rinse, hypo-clear, and wash can be done in tap water. The reason that I use distilled water for development is this: Tap water varies widely. If you use distilled water for development, you will know that no matter where you move to in the future, your results will be the same. I'm certainly glad that I have been using distilled water for my developer for many years because I had very hard water until I finally installed a water softener. Just out of curiousity, I did a test. I developed film in my unhardened water and then again with my water after being softened. The results showed that there was a significant difference in my negative densities affecting contrast. Eve my E.I. was different. If you use distilled water for development, you can always be confident that no matter where you are, your results will be the same. Consistency is most important in darkroom processes.

As for water spots.....As everyone else has already pointed out, use distilled water and PhotoFlow. It's as simples as that.

Tom Johnston
25-Nov-1998, 11:39
I would recommend that you use distilled water not only for your final rinse, but also for your developer. Stop, fix, rinse, hypo-clear, and wash can be done in tap water. The reason that I use distilled water for development is this: Tap water varies widely. If you use distilled water for development, you will know that no matter where you move to in the future, your results will be the same. I'm certainly glad that I have been using distilled water for my developer for many years because I had very hard water until I finally installed a water softener. Just out of curiousity, I did a test. I developed film in my unhardened water and then again with my water after being softened. The results showed that there was a significant difference in my negative densities affecting contrast. Even my E.I. was different. If you use distilled water for development, you can always be confident that no matter where you are, your results will be the same. Consistency is most important in darkroom processes.

As for water spots.....As everyone else has already pointed out, use distilled water and PhotoFlow. It's as simples as that.