PDA

View Full Version : wideangle on Pressman

hnaa
15-Apr-2009, 16:09
Hello,
I have another (newbie) thread just below this one, with a stupid question about focusing on a Pressman. I was just wondering, is it possible to use a 90mm lens on a Pressman? And if so, which one(s)? The lens board is very small, as is the bellows right behind it. I am getting some kind of 135mm-150mm-180mm to start with, for portraits and still life, but I would like to go wide(er) at some point. I wouldn't mind using older lenses, I didn't buy into 4x5 for technical image quality, more as an emotional thing, I think. I will be doing some pinhole photography as well. There is a Hong Kong guy on Ebay making (cheap, quality) Pinholes that fits a Copal #0 lensboard. So not only did I get a 4x5 camera, it also doubles as a zoom pinhole camera :-).

Brian Schall
15-Apr-2009, 19:49
I had a Pressman D as my real first 4x5. The reason I got rid of it was because of the wide angle lenses. I had a little 90mm f6.8 Optar (Angulon clone). To use it, I had to lower the front rails and mount the front standard on the very back of the rails, tilt in back vertical and raise the lens level. It wasn't very stable at that point. Finally sold the Pressman and bought a Tachihara. I can mount my 65mm f8 Ilex Acugon on a flat board on it.

catshaver
16-Apr-2009, 05:12
I have used a Schneider 90 f8 super angulon on my Pressman. The rear element of the lens just fits into the opening if you angle it some when inserting. The bellows are compressed a bit at 90mm and you don't get to use the rangefinder, of course...however the tilt and rise are still usable. I don't recall needing to use the drop bed function.

It's okay.

-Scott

aduncanson
16-Apr-2009, 07:19
Dropping the bed is required with my 90mm/6.8 Angulon only when the back is rotated to the vertical position.

Gene McCluney
16-Apr-2009, 09:55
The older 90mm Optar or Angulon (not Super-Angulon) focus further back on the rail than does the 90mm Super-Angulon F8. This makes the Super-Angulon the wide-angle of choice.

aduncanson
16-Apr-2009, 11:29
The older 90mm Optar or Angulon (not Super-Angulon) focus further back on the rail than does the 90mm Super-Angulon F8. This makes the Super-Angulon the wide-angle of choice.

Don't tell me that. I'm always looking for a reason to buy on old 90/8 SA (or the Ilex copy) for my Busch as it is. ;)

No really, thanks for the good info.