PDA

View Full Version : Omega D2-Zone VI Variable Contrast Head

Michael Wainfeld
15-Apr-2009, 12:04
I have an opportunity to buy this enlarger-it's close by in my town. Am I right that it's a cold light head? Easier or more difficult to use than the regular condenser head? Am I just adding more variables? Thanks-Mike

Gem Singer
15-Apr-2009, 12:42
I have the same combination of enlarger and head that I printed with for a good many years. It's a great outfit. Fred Picker designed the VC head, and I purchased one of the first ones that Calumet sold.

It's a cold light, with two florescent tubes, blue and green. A rheostat is included to enable an infinite variation of the blue and green light for VC printing. Much more convenient than using VC filters. Even has a little green LED that indicates when the florescent tubes are warmed up, thanks to Dr.Paul Horowitz.

I'm now using a Beseler 45MII, with a dichroic head, but the Omega D-2 with the Zone VI VC head is standing by in my garage.

Ed Pierce
15-Apr-2009, 16:18
As long as it's in decent shape you can't really go wrong with the D2; it's built like a tank, easy to maintain and parts are readily available. I think you'll be happy with the VC head too.

Eric Woodbury
15-Apr-2009, 16:56
I've never used one, but I understand the Z6 VC head is not the brightest light source out there. I did use an Aristo VC, which is brighter, and I didn't find it to be bright enough, even at modest enlargement.

YMMV