PDA

View Full Version : Shen Hao PTB45, anyone here actually using it?

Arthur Fleischmann
13-Apr-2009, 02:59
Hi,

This is my first post here but I have been browsing this forum for some time now, I'd just like to say this place is a great resource, I have already learned so much just searching the archives! Thanks everyone!

I'm currently looking to buy a 4x5 camera, this will be my first large format camera. So far I have been using different 35mm and medium format film cameras. My main camera at the moment is a Mamiya 7, which I like a lot. The reasons why I'd like to move on to 4x5 are perspective control, increased precision and added resolution, and I think I'd enjoy the slower, more contemplative way of shooting. But I'd still like my future 4x5 camera to be somewhat light-weight and portable since I'm regularly covering larger distances on foot when out taking pictures.

Browsing this forum I found out about the Chamonix N45-1 and thought this would be the perfect camera for me. But now there's also the new Shen Hao PTB45 which basically seems to be the same design at a lower price. I live in Austria (Europe) and could get the Shen Hao from Robert White in the UK for ca. 550 Euros. The Chamonix I'd have to order from China which means I'd have to pay duty and tax, so the total price would be around 880 Euros. Honestly I like the Chamonix better just for its more refined and beautiful design and the materials used, but I'm on a tight budget and I figure I should just get the Shen Hao and invest the saved money in a lens, accessories or film.

Now what I'd really like to know: I'm aware of the main differences between the Shen Hao PTB45 and the Chamonix, but I'd be interested in knowing if people here actually use the PTB45 and could tell me about their experiences with this camera, its build quality etc.?

catshaver
13-Apr-2009, 07:23
Living close to Badger Graphic has its advantages. I get to hold the merchandise in my hands and close inspect before buying. In this case, Jeff let me inspect the PTB that was perched in his office.

It is very beautifully constructed and tight. Extremely compact when folded and light as a feather. In my estimation, the attention to detail rivals that of (going to get people angry here) Ebony.

I passed on it in favor of a future purchase of the 5x7 FCL.

Arthur Fleischmann
13-Apr-2009, 10:50
Thank you, Scott. Sounds promising!

lilmsmaggie
13-Apr-2009, 11:49
I'm aware of the main differences between the Shen Hao PTB45 and the Chamonix, but I'd be interested in knowing if people here actually use the PTB45 and could tell me about their experiences with this camera, its build quality etc.?

Well, I haven't used either camera. Quite frankly - I don't even have a 4X5 camera yet! But this is a interesting question, particularily when you consider that the Shen-hao PTB 4X5 is a copy of the Chamonix 045n, which is the camera I've been considering.

However, having the advantage of being able to wait before buying, this is something I think a potential Shen-Hao or Chamonix buyer would want to consider before putting down their hard earned cash.

The Shen-Hao is less money and has more accessories in its camera line. Maybe the fact that Shen-Hao offers more accessories is a big selling point. AND for the most part are readily available as opposed to maybe having to wait for a Chamonix.

Anyone else agree with this?

BarryS
13-Apr-2009, 12:07
I have the Chamonix 45N-1 and love it, but the Shen Hao looks fine if the price differential is big. I'm not sure what you mean by accessories--the 45N-1 has some very reasonably priced accessories--bag bellows, universal bellows, lens shade, reflex finder, foldable hood, bed extension, leather wrap, etc. The most useful accessory I have is the universal bellows--which allows full movements with a 75mm or 90mm lens at infinity.

lilmsmaggie
13-Apr-2009, 13:42
Hi Barry,

Badger Graphic sells the PTB 4X5 for $650. The Chamonix 45n goes for $778 plus $75 shipping. That's about a $200 difference in price BEFORE you add any accessories such as the universal bellows, lens boards, etc.

Actually, I was thinking that the number and availability of Shen-Hao's accessories may be something to consider. I'm not sure how long one would have to wait for a Chamonix -- maybe 6 to 8 weeks depending on model and the type of wood you wanted e.g., Walnut with Titanium grey metal parts, etc.

BarryS
13-Apr-2009, 14:05
The PTB looks like a fine camera and seems like a good choice. The 45N-1 comes with a fresnel screen, while I believe it's $60 extra for the Shen Hao. The 45N-1 folding hood cost $30, while the Shen hood is $100. It all depends on what you think you need, but truthfully, you don't really need any special accessories--although I'd have a hard time without a universal or bag bellows. Best to start with just the camera, a single lens, and a few film holders.

Gene McCluney
13-Apr-2009, 14:19
The OP lives in Austria (Europe) so the comparison cost is greater, and in favor of the Shen Hao. He would have to pay duty and tax on the Chamonix as a direct import into Austria from China, which he might not have to do on the shen Hao since he can get it from England.

We often here in the USA don't realize how good we have it with no import duty on photographic equipment.

Songyun
13-Apr-2009, 15:04
The OP lives in Austria (Europe) so the comparison cost is greater, and in favor of the Shen Hao. He would have to pay duty and tax on the Chamonix as a direct import into Austria from China, which he might not have to do on the shen Hao since he can get it from England.

We often here in the USA don't realize how good we have it with no import duty on photographic equipment.

I think there is 2% duty if you receive via UPS or Fedex. of course that is nothing compare to what ppl in Europe pay.

Songyun
13-Apr-2009, 15:18
Back to the topic, based on the price in U.S. I would say Chamonix worth every penny of the difference (which is $200 - whatever shipping fee from Badger to your house). Fresnel, and carbon fiber screen protector, much rigid bed.
Although, I have quite a few accessories, the universal bellow is really the most useful one. Next in line would be the shade clips, but I don't have it yet.

Arthur Fleischmann
13-Apr-2009, 15:24
Gene you're right, duty and tax is what makes the Chamonix quite a bit more expensive for me. Camera body + lensboard + shipping = 918 USD, to that I'd have to add 4,2% import duty = 956 USD, and to that amount 20% "import VAT" = 1,147 USD. In Euros this is about 860.

On the other hand, the Euro-Pound exchange rate is quite favourable at the moment if you live in a Euro-country, that's why 425 GBP equals only 472 EUR (No duty within the European Union). Ok, to this amount I'd have to add shipping but I assume it won't be that much from the UK to Austria (certainly less than from China), and I don't know if a lens board is included in the price.

Hmmm... I just notice I obviously made some errors in my initial post calculations or now... or the exchange rates changed since*. Anyway, what I'm trying to illustrate here is that basically the Shen Hao is really quite a bit cheaper for me than the Chamonix (in fact almost half the price). lilmsmaggie may be right in that there are several re-sellers of Shen Hao equipment (for Chamonix I was only able to find one dealer in France (http://www.taosphotographic.com/Cart/items.php?EL=124&CA=1&UID=2008052709495890.55.6.190) but they are quite expensive, 975 Euros + shipping for the Chamonix) so accessories might be easier to obtain, but frankly this is not a major concern for me. As suggested by Barry I plan to start without many accesories and only one lens, I think I'll get a 150mm which should be a rough equivalent to the 80mm lens which I use on my Mamiya 7.

What it comes down to is I like the "looks" of the Chamonix a bit better and many people seem to love that camera so one could say it's a tried and tested model, while the Shen Hao is a new model (it is not even featured on the official Shen Hao website) and I have not read any reports yet by people who actually use the camera. But I think it's really a bargain and from what Scott wrote I gather there is no major drawback to it that would justify to pay the higher price for the Chamonix. I also figure should I get the Shen Hao and truly hate it (I highly doubt it) I could probably sell it again without much of a loss.

*) Edit: I forgot I'd have to pay 15% UK VAT when ordering from there, so the price for the Shen Hao including VAT would actually be 488 GBP which equals 542 EUR (+ shipping).

catshaver
13-Apr-2009, 16:18
Taking a very close look at the Shen hao, with Jeff at Badger Graphic, he and I surmised that the hardware for both the Chamonix and Shen Hao very likely come from the same subcontractors. If you take a look, they are identical (knobs, rails, standards, etc.) The differences come down to personal issues such as accessories, wood fabrication quality, the carbon fiber base on the Chamonix and then of course - service after the sale. I like the Chamonix a great deal, it's dealing directly with the Chinese factory as a consumer, not a dealer that gives me pause.

Peter De Smidt
13-Apr-2009, 18:22
I owned a Chamonix for awhile, and like Scott I handled a Shen Hao at Badger. I really didn't detect any difference in rigidity, and the "carbon fiber" ground glass protector isn't much of a benefit. The Chamonix's bed might be more stable regarding humidity changes over the years. It's hard to tell. Both are pretty nice cameras.

BarryS
13-Apr-2009, 18:26
That's a big difference in price and although I think the Cham is wonderful, I'd get the Shen Hao in the same situation. You need to have money left to buy film and other incidentals.

lilmsmaggie
13-Apr-2009, 19:16
That's a big difference in price and although I think the Cham is wonderful, I'd get the Shen Hao in the same situation. You need to have money left to buy film and other incidentals.

:) AND a lens for catching those photons--Hear hear!

thafred
14-Apr-2009, 01:14
Iīm in the same boat as Arthur, fell in love with the Chamonix but the price of the Shen Hao is very tempting (I too life in Austria so the price difference is as Arthur explained/calculated)

Like Catshaver I also think that the metal Hardware might come from the same chinese factory for both cameras, after all they look identical down to the spirit levels. the only difference is the design of the back and the wood base. (I donīt think that the base will cut into the performance..humidity would affect the wooden standard or back more and would be the same problem for both cameras I think?)

a few questions regarding the PTB still remain and I hope to find some answers from you.

Is the back of the same design as the HZ 45? Is there a groundglas protector available from Shen Hao or better yet a foldable GG hood? Can I use accesoires for the HZ45 on the PTB? (nether RW nor Badger list those on the PTB sites)
Does anyone know if the PTB is equiped with a fresnel lens?
Are the bellows as flexible as on the Chamonix? the 45N can be used with a 65mm lens and a little shift with the standard bellows, will this work on the Shen Hao?

Iīve been shooting Graflexes for a year now and Iīm looking forward to my first real field camera, Scheimpflug here I come :)
best
fred

vwizz
4-Jun-2009, 09:18
Hi!
I did my first pictures today with my new Shen Hao PTB-45.
As a owner of a Chamonix 45N-1, here are my first impressions:

-the two bottom screws to move/swing the rear standard are not as good as on the Chamonix: on the 45N-1 there are 4 as a matter of fact: two on top connected to two on the bottom. On the Shen hao there are only two on top, and you need to push them hard from under (in the metal slit) if you want them to slide towards front/back. The same movement is much smoother/easier/precise on the Chamonix. That said, the amount of movement available is similar.
-the bottom screw that tightens the front standard cannot fix it 100% on the Shen Hao. It is normally not an issue though.
-on the center plate used for focusing, there is one more hole on the chamonix, so you can fix the front standard further behind. There are only three holes on the shen hao, so for wide angle you definitely need to move the rear standard towards front.
-the back spring is much stronger on the shen hao: you need more force to insert a chassis inside. On the chamonix it is extremely smooth. Each has a drawback: in vertical position, the chamonix cannot support the weight of a Polaroid 545 back (it slides down so you need to holde it). On the shen hao, the amount of effort to insert a chassis made me lose a fine setup I had (OK, i had a small mini-berlebach tripod and its feet were sliding on the surface under it)
-one drawback on the chamonix (already mentionned here): the top metal teeth holding the lens plate are rather big as in some cases, if the lens plate is thick, they might not secure the plate so you have to pay attention and make sure they are positionned right.
-on my shen hao I couldn't fit in two shen hao lens plates (size 1) as they were slightly too high (or the dimension on the front standard was too small). As a result i had to buy a technika #1 lens plate.

Apart from that, they are very similar, but I clearly sense the better finish and finer tolerances of the Chamonix. All the movements have constant smoothness on the 45N-1 while there are some hard points on the Shen Hao. The tolerances of the overall assembly are as well more precise on the Chamonix.
The bottom of the 45n-1 is as well more sturdy and the carbon parts are very nice. the Shen Hao bottom part is much thinner. but it shouldn't be an issue as it still seems very stiff.

Note as well that the Chamonix can be fitted with a universal bellow directly from factory (I need to buy a wide angle bellows for the shen hao, clearly, as I could already feel some restraints with my 90/4.5 Grandagon N). plus the chamonix comes with Fresnel which I do fine quite nice.

A couple of other tiny details: the bubble levels look better on the shen hao (but i remember Hugo aying that they would get a new supplier for the chamonix) and the rubber around the screws feels nice. The gradations on the bottom plate and front standard might be as well clearer on the Shen hao (even if I never use them).

All in all they are two wonderful lovely little cameras, and very light!. The Chamonix finish is clearly better the Shen Hao and it feels smoother and more precise, but functionnaly both cameras should achieve same performance.

Personnaly, I took the Shen Hao to start collodion wet plate as I wanted something cheap but still with large possibilities for movements. It is a great camera, and even though it has imperfections it feels great and I kind of fell in love with it. It looks a bit more "vintage", not as "high tech" as the Chamonix.. I can't wait shooting my first wet plates with it :)

V

thafred
5-Jun-2009, 03:33
Thank you for the interesting write up!! good to hear opinions from a user that shoots with both

I also have my PTB allready and find all the remarks you made on point, cannot compare it to a chamonix thou.

one thing I found out regarding the smoothness, it helps tremendously to put a little lube on the worm drive (I used bicycle grease)...the focus operation did improve by that.

My PTB has four holes for the front standard, yours has three? interesting!

I was annoyed with the QC on my Shen hao since they installed one of the rear standard locks wrong (couldnīt slide it out and also the 90° position was definately out)! also the bellows was installed upside down. (monday morning specimen?)...not hard to fix but Iīm not happy having to work on a brand new camera to get it operational..

if I had the money Iīd definately go for a chamonix. for the price I payed on the shen, it was no bad choice thou

oh, good luck with the wet plate shooting!!! please show your results as soon as you have any!
best
fred

vwizz
5-Jun-2009, 06:40
it helps tremendously to put a little lube on the worm drive (I used bicycle grease)

Hi! I will try that when I get back home, I'll try to put some on the side rails too :)

Concerning the 3 holes, mine is similar to the main picture there:
http://www.robertwhite.co.uk/product.asp?P_ID=2336&PT_ID=437
Funnily on the side pictures there are 5 holes!!
Plus mine has a graduated scale on the right side of the front standard and three bubble levels, which are not seen here...:confused:
I guess they had different production batches?
Mine is actually very recent as I had it directly from the Shanghai store two days ago.:D
One thing I noticed though: it did not appear on their current Chinese price list and the camera was not in the store the first day I came in, so I had to ask for one and they brought it the day after (the lady in the store didn't even know about the model as a matter of fact, she had to call her boss)...

Anyway, still a great camera :)
Best Regards,
V

Archphoto
5-Jun-2009, 07:01
It shure is a funny little camera ! Fell in love with it.
I have already a Shen Hao HZH45IIA, so this one can wait for a while....

That 3 way bubble is an option to the camera, I will have to find a place for it on my Shen Hao.

Peter

vwizz
5-Jun-2009, 07:03
By the way Fred, i had the same issue as you with the back lock: there were two very tiny screws that prevented the back motion and biased the vertical lock. I had to screw them in with my nails :)
Something tells me that they don't have a QC dept there :)

I noticed as well that there is no serial number.

tomorrow I'll go back to the store with the camera and mention the 5 holes-3 holes thing.. But I'm afraid it'll be hard as the lady does not speak any english :)

Anyway, I can live with it as it's not my main camera.
only thing this would prevent is making vertical polaroids with a wide angle (i.e 90mm or less) as some backs require room on both sides, so in that case pushing the back standard towards front is not an option...

V

thafred
5-Jun-2009, 09:42
"Something tells me that they don't have a QC dept there "

lol .. thatīs what I thought!

the 3 / 4 / 5 hole thing is very interesting! curious if the old lady has something to say about it..
I ordered mine from Robertwhite and it looks like a mix between the one on the VCS website ( http://www.viewcamerastore.com/product_info.php?products_id=823 ) and that from RW-site. it has the bubble levels (useless imho) but misses the graduated scale on the front standard (that would have been useful!) also the adjustment wheels are not drilled like the version from VCS..

I wonder why they change the number of holes and minor stuff when they copy the Chamonix in every other detail so shamelessly?!? doesnt make sense to me :confused:

beeing home from work I just repaired the back locks (had to get a 0.9mm allen key for the worm screws) and adjusted them to stop the back at exactly 90 degrees! I had to put a "screw-glue" (dont know the english word for that) on the little worm screws because they seem to move with minor vibration... but now itīs all good.
btw. I allready ordered precision bubble levels from a german manufacturer :D

Hope you enjoy your stay in Shanghai!! I was there early this year and loved the city (like a place out of a science fiction movie)
http://farm4.static.flickr.com/3181/3281247836_138e90dbab.jpg

best
fred

Darin Boville
5-Jun-2009, 10:06
For comparing the two cameras in price, many people are factoring in buying the universal bellows for the Chamonix--an extra $90.

However, I just bought a Chamonix a week or two ago (in stock at the time both with Hugo and Kerry, but not in the same colors) and Kerry (www.reallybigcameras.com) has the camera coming with the universal bellows as a standard item. His price is $22 more than Hugo's for that reason. Or $68 less, depending on how you look at it!

--Darin

vwizz
5-Jun-2009, 10:27
The default bellows provided with the PTB does not allow movements in wide angle, so you need to think about buying a wide angle bellows with the shen hao too... I wish they sold a similar "universal bellows" too rather than having two.

You have to add Fresnel cost to the PTB.
Small practical things come with the 45N-1 too like the carbon GG protection and the camera pouch.

One last detail i forgot to mention in my comparison is that the fixing system for the GG is much easier to open on the Chamonix as on the Shen hao you need to unscrew 4 little screws directly from the wood. of course, it's not something you do everyday, but still... :)

Fred,
I guess the reason for the differences between the production batches is probably linked to their little parts supply.
For the holes, it might be that they decided to save money (3<4<5). Apparently mine was freshly finished from the factory this week...
As for Shanghai, I agree with you, I find the city 100% "Blade Runner style", especially at night under the rain :) But I find the atmosphere quite positive and the people extremely nice, and waaaay more aware of everthing going on in western countries than I expected. One of my local colleagues here knew even the amount of money for the inter-season transfers of football players in european clubs, and was well aware of French political/financial scandals :). And, well.. that city is soooo huge! :)

Regards,
V

Arthur Fleischmann
8-Jun-2009, 06:02
Hey, just read all the replies here. Thanks everyone!

I got the PTB45 in the meantime and basically concur with Fred and vwizz, my impression is really positive overall but there are some minor drawbacks. I have the same "4-hole version" of this camera as Fred, also ordered it from Robert White.

I experienced the same as Fred, when I got the camera the rear standard locks were mis-aligned so that the rear standart was not exactly vertical, I re-aligned the locks but since then the tiny screws inside the locks moved and now the locks cannot be slid out at all - I shall borrow your allen key and screw-lock glue, Fred. ;)

Something else that made me wonder is the scale on the bottom of the camera where the front standart is attached, this scale should help to position the front parallel to the rear standart but this is made difficult as the lines of the scale are etched in the wood so that the front standard is always positioned between two lines, not congruent with them - no idea why they did it this way. And I'd like to know where the zero position of the front standart is (zero fall/rise), this can only be guessed and I think it would be nice to have some simple markings (as on the Chamonix).

But these are minor complaints, overall it's a great camera and enjoy it very much!

vwizz, what do you think about the brightness of the ground glass on the PTB? Is the Chamonix ground glass + fresnel much brighter? I am thinking of maybe getting a replacement ground glass from sheetfilm.be and/or a fresnel (but from where?).

Carl Schofield
8-Jun-2009, 09:17
Hey, just read all the replies here. Thanks everyone!

I got the PTB45 in the meantime and basically concur with Fred and vwizz, my impression is really positive overall but there are some minor drawbacks. I have the same "4-hole version" of this camera as Fred, also ordered it from Robert White.

I experienced the same as Fred, when I got the camera the rear standard locks were mis-aligned so that the rear standart was not exactly vertical, I re-aligned the locks but since then the tiny screws inside the locks moved and now the locks cannot be slid out at all - I shall borrow your allen key and screw-lock glue, Fred. ;)

Something else that made me wonder is the scale on the bottom of the camera where the front standart is attached, this scale should help to position the front parallel to the rear standart but this is made difficult as the lines of the scale are etched in the wood so that the front standard is always positioned between two lines, not congruent with them - no idea why they did it this way. And I'd like to know where the zero position of the front standart is (zero fall/rise), this can only be guessed and I think it would be nice to have some simple markings (as on the Chamonix).

But these are minor complaints, overall it's a great camera and enjoy it very much!

vwizz, what do you think about the brightness of the ground glass on the PTB? Is the Chamonix ground glass + fresnel much brighter? I am thinking of maybe getting a replacement ground glass from sheetfilm.be and/or a fresnel (but from where?).

This version seems to have a scale on the front for setting rise/fall position with a zero reference point.

http://www.viewcamerastore.com/product_info.php?products_id=823

Arthur Fleischmann
8-Jun-2009, 10:48
Carl, you're right! The model I have doesn't have that scale, though. Well, it's not a big problem for me, it would just be nice to have, some simple dots would work just fine (as on the Chamonix).

vwizz
8-Jun-2009, 14:58
Hi!
i finally had my PTB directly replaced by another one that happened to have 4 holes (apparently the issue is linked to their part supply).

Concerning the GG, I haven't made side by side comparisons but I had no problems doing my first series of pictures with the normal Shen Hao glass. I have bought a Fresnel glass at the Shen Hao store but haven't installed it yet as I need to unscrew the GG holders first...

I'll be in the studio thursday and Sunday, maybe I'll have time to compare both then. i'll let you know :)

Best Regards,
V

Arthur Fleischmann
8-Jun-2009, 15:18
Hey, thanks! :)

I agree the refular Shen Hao ground glass is alright in normal daylight conditions. I find it to be a bit dark indoors but I have no experience whatsoever with large format so maybe I'm just expecting too much. I'm tempted to get the sheetfilm.be gg not only for brightness but also because of the Lumigrid - and it's cheap. But their website says 6+ weeks delivery... Oh well. I've done some research on fresnel lenses and think they are a bit too pricey for me at the moment, anyway (how much did you pay for yours?)

Mark Stahlke
8-Jun-2009, 17:28
I took my brand new Shen Hao PTB 4x5 on its first overnight backpacking trip last weekend. After two shots, a gust of wind tipped it over head first onto the rocks. Yikes!

As luck would have it, the lens was undamaged. Unfortunately, a chunk of wood broke out from the rear of the camera base and the focus knob was dangling loose. The wood split at the screw holes where the focus gear attaches to the base plate. I never did find the piece of wood but I found one of the screws. That was all I needed to make a quick field repair. The only tool I had available was a small Swiss Army knife which did a number on the screw head but got the job done. I was able to continue shooting through the weekend.

A Chamonix, with its carbon fibre base plate, probably wouldn't have broken the same way.

Cheers,
Mark

Here is a quick shot of the damage and my field repair.
http://www.stahlke.us/uploads/field_repair.jpg

Vertigo2020
8-Jun-2009, 18:22
I'm a noob here but, I just ordered the PTB45 today and was told the latest shipment of cameras all have the 3 hole design. I suppose a guy could drill the crosspiece and install an insert to make quick work of adjusting the front standard. It would save the trouble of moving the rear forward on short lenses.

thafred
9-Jun-2009, 00:26
Ouch, thats a frightening picture mark... sorry to see the damage but glad to hear that you could continue shooting!

Arthur, Iīve made compairsons yesterday regarding the groundglass. As you know I have the Sheetfilm.be GG + lumigrid installed on my speed graphic and tried both side by side with my two 150 f5.6 symmar lenses..I also thought the brightness was a tad lower with the shen but comparing them side by side shows that its absolutely equal between the two. (the SG GG just seemed brighter for me because of the focusing hood) Also the fine grain is equal on both so apart from the lumigrid I think you will not gain anything with the sheetfilm gg. Maybe a satinsnow or Maxwell GG would be an improvement thou.
As I understand a fresnel lens will improve the use of shorter lenses (<100mm) but I doubt that it gains anything for your 150mm Nikkor.
I had no problems in using my 90 f8 on the shen (in daylight) and focusing on the corners.

Vwizz, I have a question regarding a fresnel: I allways thought you cannot just install the fresnel on the lens side of the GG because you need to place the GG further back (1/3 the thickness?) to keep focus registration. Is there any manual how to install the Fresnel on the shen or do you just drop it behind the GG (facing the user)?
How distracting are the fresnel lines when fine focusing with a good loupe?

best
fred

Arthur Fleischmann
9-Jun-2009, 01:45
Thanks Fred, I'll just keep the Shen Hao ground glass, then! :) Satinsnow and Maxwell are way too expensive for me at the moment.

Mark, I really feel sorry... I don't even want to imagine my camera falling on the ground. I hope you can fix the damage!

Darren H
9-Jun-2010, 11:52
I took my brand new Shen Hao PTB 4x5 on its first overnight backpacking trip last weekend. After two shots, a gust of wind tipped it over head first onto the rocks. Yikes!

As luck would have it, the lens was undamaged. Unfortunately, a chunk of wood broke out from the rear of the camera base and the focus knob was dangling loose. The wood split at the screw holes where the focus gear attaches to the base plate. I never did find the piece of wood but I found one of the screws. That was all I needed to make a quick field repair. The only tool I had available was a small Swiss Army knife which did a number on the screw head but got the job done. I was able to continue shooting through the weekend.

A Chamonix, with its carbon fibre base plate, probably wouldn't have broken the same way.

Cheers,
Mark

Here is a quick shot of the damage and my field repair.

Ouch! Sorry to hear it took a tumble. Glad to hear you were able to make a field repair!

How did the PTB peform as a backpacking camera?