PDA

View Full Version : Arca Swiss Discovery used price?

timberline12k
11-Apr-2009, 22:45
As best as I can tell, Arca Swiss Discoverys used to sell new for $1,200-$1,500. Since they have been discontiuned for several years, what range would you estimate is a fair price for a used Discovery?

Frank Petronio
12-Apr-2009, 00:14
Any working Discovery below $800 is bargain.

Try to get the lensboards and any other parts, as Arca parts are pretty hard to find used and are expensive.

The rail system is usually what people want to upgrade, with the longer mounting base and longer extensions. And the leather bag bellows. The Discovery standards are fine until you compare them with the $$$ Orbix geared standards.

Pay attention, as there are older models pre-F-line and pre-Discovery. And a few years ago the F-line transitioned from 171mm frame standards to 141mm frame standards; there are also 110mm 6x9 frames out there, and the bellows come in various combinations of sizes. So know what you are buying.

Required reading: http://precisioncameraworks.com/

Michael_4514
12-Apr-2009, 04:25
I paid about $800 for mine about a year ago. No regrets.

As for lensboards, they are out there but not necessarily the one you need when you need it. You can get an adapter to convert from the 171 to the 110 size, and other adapters are available. I have an adapter that takes the Linhof Tech V board, which is very easy to find.

timberline12k
12-Apr-2009, 21:32
If used Discoveries sell around $800, what do F-Line Classic's (circa 2001) sell for? If they have 171mm board, is that a problem? What is the main difference between the Classics and Discoveries and is it important for landscape?

Frank Petronio
12-Apr-2009, 21:50
The Discovery uses the most common 171mm size lensboards and bellows.

The Discovery has friction locks for all movements except the rear focusing block is gear-driven for fine-tuning the focus. The locking levers are yellow.

The F-line Classics have the gear-driven focus on both front and rear. Locking levers are light grey.

The practical photographer only needs the gear-drive on the rear. You try not to move the front for focus since that changes the lens to subject distance and the composition. Really there is nothing the Discovery sacrifices that prevents you from making just as good a photo as the F-Classic.

I've seen some F-Classics go for $800 too but more often in the $1000 range, plus or minus a couple hundred. They've been made for 20 years now so conditions vary.

timberline12k
12-Apr-2009, 22:01
So what would be a better buy? A Discovery for $900 or a F-Line Classic for $1,500?

Doug Dolde
12-Apr-2009, 22:15
I've owned several AS 4x5's but never a Discovery. My preference is for one with Orbix, and the Field model is my favorite. But you will pay much more than $1500 for a nice one.

Frank Petronio
12-Apr-2009, 22:31
It probably depends on the overall condition of the camera (wear, defects) more than anything else.

Doug is right, but the Orbix models are over $2K used.

All things being equal, and you being a beginner and all, get the Discovery.

Doug Dolde
12-Apr-2009, 23:08
Yeah Frank but only if he has a wife. Otherwise let him go hog wild !

Michael_4514
13-Apr-2009, 04:15
Yeah Frank but only if he has a wife. Otherwise let him go hog wild !

Now you tell me?

Actually, a girlfriend can be just as critical of the Gear Acquisition Syndrome as a wife. It's a little easier to hide symptoms from the gf however:D

Frank Petronio
13-Apr-2009, 04:22
Yeah well you can only afford 2-3 girlfriends if you go with the Arca.

jb7
13-Apr-2009, 04:41
Which is a shame, because they tend to attract so many more...

timberline12k
14-Apr-2009, 10:40
Ok, so I am currently the high bidder at $810 on an Arca Swiss F-LINE DISCOVERY that includes an Arca Swiss 171mm lens board drilled for Copal 1 sized shutters and travel case that was purchased separately from Arca. Also included are the following film backs: Fuji Quick Load Back for 4x5 Fuji film packs; a Kodak Ready-Load Back for Kodak single sheet 4x5 film; a Polaroid model 545i film back for single sheet polaroid proofing; a Polaroid Model 550 film holder for Polaroid instant film packs. 15ft bubble cable release is also included.

What are these used accessories really worth?

I have pretty much maxed out what I am willing to buy this 4X5 for unless I can sell some of the film backs.

And yes I am married, but have not gotten up the nerve to mention I am considering LF. I am softening up the family though, we rescued a 9 month old puppy from the pound this past weekend!

Aahx
14-Apr-2009, 15:05
Well with polaroid no longer manufacturering instant film.. the 545i back is close to worthless. The only way to find film for that back is to get it off someone who has some there willing to part with. Though the 550 back will take the fuji instant film so that you can still use. As well as the Fuji quickload back is also still very usefull. You can check calumet, adorama, b&h, keh, etc.. for prices estamates on those. The fuji equivlent to the 550 is the PA-45 back if they no longer "carry" the poloroid variant. Just for pricing idea. Anyway.. as both those backs that are usefull are worth over $120 each new, so I think you have a fairly decent deal there if you can get it for that low when bidding closes. Usualy there is a price spike in the last 30 seconds for those that realy want to buy an item if you are using fleebay though. Nonthless, good luck.

Brian Ellis
14-Apr-2009, 15:16
Ok, so I am currently the high bidder at $810 on an Arca Swiss F-LINE DISCOVERY that includes an Arca Swiss 171mm lens board drilled for Copal 1 sized shutters and travel case that was purchased separately from Arca. Also included are the following film backs: Fuji Quick Load Back for 4x5 Fuji film packs; a Kodak Ready-Load Back for Kodak single sheet 4x5 film; a Polaroid model 545i film back for single sheet polaroid proofing; a Polaroid Model 550 film holder for Polaroid instant film packs. 15ft bubble cable release is also included.

What are these used accessories really worth?

I have pretty much maxed out what I am willing to buy this 4X5 for unless I can sell some of the film backs.

And yes I am married, but have not gotten up the nerve to mention I am considering LF. I am softening up the family though, we rescued a 9 month old puppy from the pound this past weekend!

Since film for the Polaroid and Ready-Load holders has been discontinued I doubt that they're worth much of anything. I own one of each that I haven't bothered trying to sell, I don't think the price would be worth the trouble of packing and shipping them. I don't know about the cable release or the Fuji holder, you might get something for them but I don't think very much relative to the cost of the camera and lens.

Being the current high bidder doesn't mean a thing unfortunately. All the real bids usually come in the last 4 or 5 seconds of the auction, assuming you're talking about ebay. In fact by bidding before that all you've done is let the other bidders know a price they have to beat. If you plan to do this again use a sniping service to place your bids. I use e-snipe but I'm sure there are others equally good.

Congratulations on getting your puppy from the pound. There are so many good dogs out there that need a home and so few good people (relatively speaking) to adopt them.

timberline12k
14-Apr-2009, 18:04
Thanks for the info. I figured there was no way to go wrong if I could pick up a Discovery body for less than $700 after selling the accessories. That will probably not happen which is good since I still need to get a handle on the total cost, camera body, lens, etc.

The description on eBay overestimated the value of the accessories and the camera was first listed as a Classic (later corrected), but it is a Discovery and the photos seem to be accurate. Anyone else is free to check it out. I don't plan to make any additional bids.

While we felt strongly about buying a rescue dog, we did not expect her to be such a well adjusted and smart pet. She seems to be house trained (no accidents yet) and she is smart as a whip! I would highly recommend having people check out the pound rather than buying from some puppy mill. Plus we avoided most of the puppy stage by getting a 9 month old. Here is a photo of our Lucy!

http://www.diddephoto.com/photos/510303352_YeGYv-X2.jpg

Frank Petronio
14-Apr-2009, 18:25
If your budget is only $700 aim for a $500 camera and have a buffer for all the little things unanticipated.

Sometimes you can find an older pre-F-line Arca in good condition -- those are also excellent cameras, not quite as elegant and well-made as the later F-line series but a high quality camera all the same. Those regularly sell for under $500.

Sinar Normas and F2s, Toyo Gs (or lesser), most Cambos, wooden Wistas, others often sell for less than $500 in good condition as well. None are bad cameras and great for a first timer.

timberline12k
14-Apr-2009, 19:10
My budget may not be limited to $700, but am not yet comfortable spending more until I better understand the whole LF process and equipment needs.

I just thought it was a safe play to pick up a Discovery in good condition at more than a third off its original purchase price.

If I end up deciding on the Discovery, $800 seems to be the price point for one in good shape. I am guesing they come up for sale fairly often.

Frank Petronio
14-Apr-2009, 21:14
one or two per month

NoBob
15-Apr-2009, 14:33
Is it still on ebay, David?

Searching for arca swiss under Photography, I only see an ARCA SWISS 8x10 CAMERA CALUMET LENS 4x5 ACCESSORIES KIT From South Africa and an Arca Swiss Kit From Czech Republic (in terms of complete cameras).

Unless the one you mention isn't listed as an international seller.

timberline12k
15-Apr-2009, 18:04
Arca Swiss F Line Classic 4x5 Camera (but it is really a Discovery) It may not be getting the exposure since it is incorrectly labled as a Classic. The seller does note the error on his part.

Ebay Item Number: 150337366705

New York seller

The auction ends around lunchtime tomorrow.

It is a package including items mentioned in the earlier post. I don't think they are worth $750 but they probably bring the cost of the Discovery down below $700.

Why don't you bid $820 so I can move onto other things.

NoBob
15-Apr-2009, 18:12
Thanks. Found it. Shipping only within the US...

mandoman7
15-Apr-2009, 21:35
If your budget is only $700 aim for a $500 camera and have a buffer for all the little things unanticipated.

Sometimes you can find an older pre-F-line Arca in good condition -- those are also excellent cameras, not quite as elegant and well-made as the later F-line series but a high quality camera all the same. Those regularly sell for under $500.

Frank,
I assume you're talking about the A,B, or C models. Those are going cheap. I have an A model that I can't bring myself to sell at the low prices they're bringing these days.

Since you seem to know the brand, what are the main differences between the discovery and the earlier models?

timberline12k
16-Apr-2009, 08:58
The individual who started the bidding at $1 has outbid me at $820. I will watch how it turns out, but not reenter the bidding. I still need to get a handle on what 4X5 would best fit my needs.

Doug Dolde
16-Apr-2009, 13:39
If you're set on 4x5 why not get a Chamonix? A lot of people seem to like them. One on Ebay now.

http://cgi.ebay.com/New-Chamonix-45N-1-camera-in-stock_W0QQitemZ180318221172QQcmdZViewItemQQptZFilm_Cameras?hash=item180318221172&_trksid=p3286.m20.l1116

Frank Petronio
16-Apr-2009, 13:54
The precisioncameraworks.com site has info on the Arca history and models; you can also search for Kerry Thalmann's excellent posts on the subject.

Yeah just get a Chamonix and be done with it. Most of us didn't start with such a nice camera, they are great.

timberline12k
16-Apr-2009, 19:10
The seller relisted the Discovery on eBay as the top bidder was from China. It is correctly listed this time and the initial bid is $1. I am looking at some other used 4X5 Arca Swiss models that are lighter, but more expensive. I am also going to read a book on LF that was mentioned in another post before I bid again.