PDA

View Full Version : Grandagon-N 90mm 4.5 vs. Grandagon 90 4.5

Mac Carter
10-Apr-2009, 18:55
I hate to flog a dead horse with another thread but I have a question about the differences and/or lineage of the Grandagon lenses that I cannot seem to get a clear answer on.

My question is this: I have in my possession a used Grandagon 90mm 4.5 MC and I want to know if this is the same thing, albeit an older version, of the Grandagon-N 90mm 4.5 that is available today with the green ring, even though it does NOT have the "N" designation on the barrel?

From what I'm seeing the Caltar-II is the same thing as an "N". The reason I'm asking is b/c I'm contemplating using the lens on a Fotoman 617 and on the lens compatibility chart from Fotoman it lists the "Grandagon-N 90mm 4.5". So, I was wondering if the Grandagon 90mm 4.5 that I have is the same thing or not. The dealers have told me that my non-N is basically the same thing, it's just not designated that way, so it is compatible with the Fotoman 617.

Can anyone please clear the air for me on this issue?

Thanks.

Oren Grad
10-Apr-2009, 20:02
It's basically the same thing. In principle there should be no problem using the non-N with the Fotoman 617. The only issue I can think of is whether the flange-to-film specification changed in later production, and if so, whether the change was enough so that you'd need a different cone, or shims for the focus mount. Probably not, but without the specifications for both lenses on hand I can't say for sure.

The flange-to-film specification for the 90/4.5 Grandagon-N is 98mm. Perhaps someone here has a spec sheet for the plain Grandagons.

devtank
16-May-2009, 23:13
Id like to concentrate on the first part of the question myself, and ask, what specifically are the differences between the N and the older non N MC versions?

Frank Petronio
17-May-2009, 00:41
The coating, which is a plus but probably isn't worth a large price differential, depending on the amount of flare-y situations you photograph. (Then again the price differences are all over the place these days.)

I think the only way you'll ever be sure of having the correct cone depth is to actually try it and shim accordingly, even a lens you have specs for may be slightly different in that regard so you will always have to check with a loupe and your own eyes.

Oren Grad
17-May-2009, 08:39
The coating

Lots of non-N Grandagons are MC and labeled as such; I don't know if the 90/4.5 in particular was ever offered non-MC.

Frank Petronio
17-May-2009, 08:56
Yeah I think they are all multi-coated lenses but the multi-coating formula has changed over the years, at least that is how Bob S. described it in an older thread.

Oren Grad
17-May-2009, 13:13
Yeah I think they are all multi-coated lenses but the multi-coating formula has changed over the years, at least that is how Bob S. described it in an older thread.

Yup. Could be...

Frank Petronio
17-May-2009, 13:38
Well at least the green ring gets you a higher resale value ;-) I suspect that even the first generation 90/4.5 Grandagon is still a very excellent lens, several photographers have mentioned that it is at least as good as the 75mm Zeiss Biogon.