PDA

View Full Version : A good camera dilemma.. graflex slr

sgelb
10-Apr-2009, 14:19
i have 2. a 3x4 and and a 4x5 both super D auto diaphragm . kind of torn on which one to sell and which one to keep and send to fred for restoration, graflock etc.

Bill_1856
10-Apr-2009, 14:52
I have both, also. 4x5 is too big and clumsy to use hand-held. 3x4 is much nicer and more usable, but has the film size probem. Forget the Graflock conversion, you won't be able to use bag-mags.
Best advice: sell both, and get a Mamiya RB67 (which is what I should do, also).

bbjorkum
4-Jun-2009, 00:26
Using the 4x5 Super D hand held is not very difficult:

http://www.bjartebjorkum.com/gallery_242195.html

jnantz
4-Jun-2009, 05:39
get rid of both, get a series D (4x5 ) and as many bag mags as you can find.

my series d is my main camera these days ...
it isn't clumsy or awkward unless you have it on a tripod
then you need to stand on a ladder ( unless you are 10 feet tall )
and if you want to use roll film, just tape a roll film adapter to the back.

i have been doing this for years, and never had focus plane issues ..

Toyon
4-Jun-2009, 06:14
Margaret Bourke-White used a handheld Graflex with magnificent results.

tim o'brien
5-Jun-2009, 03:26
get rid of both, get a series D (4x5 ) and as many bag mags as you can find.

my series d is my main camera these days ...
it isn't clumsy or awkward unless you have it on a tripod
then you need to stand on a ladder ( unless you are 10 feet tall )
and if you want to use roll film, just tape a roll film adapter to the back.

i have been doing this for years, and never had focus plane issues ..

I use my 3x4 on a tripod all the time. And yes, I am 10 feet tall.

Really, I just put the legs of the tripod down real short. Mount the rb, and use it for a different perspective than if I were using a normal view camera. I also use it with a Graphics roll film holder that fits the 3x4 rb... Works fine, I have more film choices than just with my film holders. But then again, why would I want to shoot more than the 50 and 100 ISO fillm I have for the 3x4 film holders?

And no, I am not crazy about the bag mags. I have one but it sits in the cupboard. I find it awkward to use.

So if I were you, I would get rid of the 4x5. Just send it to me and I'll take care of that for you.

tim in san jose

Mark Sampson
5-Jun-2009, 06:03
There's a photo somewhere of Edward Weston, standing on top of the camera case in order to look down into the focusing hood of his (tripod-mounted) 3x4 Graflex, while shooting a portrait.

Ernest Purdum
5-Jun-2009, 14:24
There are 120 film holders for the Graflex SLR's. I suppose it would take a while to track them down, though.

I still think they (or a Soho or an Adams Minex) are the cameras to use for hand-held large format. They are much easier to hold steady or to follow action smoothly than a Speed Graphic or the like.

Regarding use on a tripod, there are groundglass frames for the rear of the camera. Again, though, I suppose they would not be easy to find.

They are great cameras tp make use of barel lenses, oddball and otherwise.