PDA

View Full Version : Confused about Cambo Wide models

612tom
9-Apr-2009, 20:30
Hello

I think I'm going to sell my Horseman SW612 and move up to 5x4. I need a portable, handholdable camera, mainly for landscapes and architecture, shooting 6x12 cm on 120 mostly. I think the Cambo Wide with a 6x12 back would fit the bill, and l would be able to shoot 5x4" if I wanted to.

However, I am confused about what models are / were available. Cambo's website has the new DS models which are built for digital backs although can be used with film I think. It doesnt matter anyway - these models are likely to be out of my price range :)

Can anyone shed some light as to the models of the discontinued range - what's the difference between the 650 and the 900 - is it simply the lens?

Is the film back fitting the international standard - so finding a 6x12 back wouldnt be too much of a problem? Are they handholdable?

Thanks in advance

steve barry
9-Apr-2009, 20:40
i just bought one off the forums here. an older 650. the DS ones were out of my price range too, even if they wernt i would not have paid the price they want. i think the 900 he was selling is probably still for sale here. the difference is the lens and mount/cone/helical deal. but it can all be switched out. it is very much hand holdable. regular 4x5 backs/accessories. some people complain about the handle but i find it fine. these older film based models are available only on the used market. i searched hi and low for a long time. 6x12 back no problem, just expensive. i love it, good luck.

Oren Grad
9-Apr-2009, 20:45
Can anyone shed some light as to the models of the discontinued range - what's the difference between the 650 and the 900 - is it simply the lens?

Yes, it's just the lens. You can buy the lenses and the body separately and interchange.

Is the film back fitting the international standard - so finding a 6x12 back wouldnt be too much of a problem?

Yes.

Are they handholdable?

That depends on your preference for weight and handling. For myself, I'd say yes, but it would not be terribly comfortable with a 6x12 rollholder mounted.

Here's are some user notes on the Cambo Wide:

http://www.paul-armitage.com/CamboWide.html