PDA

View Full Version : what 210 lens will close in MT 5x7

newsbabe
9-Apr-2009, 16:17
So I wheeled out hubbys Linhof 5x7 technika to do some landscapes this weekend.

My new Schneider 210 will not allow the door of the camera to close, by about 1/4 inch or so, which is annoying since now I need to lug the lens outside of the camera.

Are there any newer ~200mm lenses that one can close inside a 5x7 technika?

Charlie Strack
9-Apr-2009, 16:53
You could try a recessed lensboard with the Schneider, although they are a pain to use.

Otherwise, an Osaka Commercial 210 f/6.3 might fit. It's a compact lens, but won't allow a lot of movement on 5x7--image circle is 235mm. It should be about 35mm front to back.

Mark Woods
9-Apr-2009, 18:25
I have a SK 210mm f/9 Repro Claron that is a small lens and just covers 8x10. I shot some landscapes yesterday, and the negs look great.

MW

Oren Grad
9-Apr-2009, 20:09
210 Rodenstock Geronar / Caltar II-N, perhaps?

Ron Marshall
9-Apr-2009, 20:42
Nikon 200mm f8.

Peter K
10-Apr-2009, 01:41
You could try a recessed lensboard with the Schneider, although they are a pain to use.
I've never seen a recessed lensboard for the Technika 5x7". But the Symmar 210mm allows to close a T 4x5" so there is plenty of room in a T 5x7".

Doremus Scudder
10-Apr-2009, 02:56
Kodak Ektar 203mm f7.7. Really small, designed for 5x7.
Schneider G-Claron 210mm. Also small.

Ole Tjugen
10-Apr-2009, 03:11
Which Schneider 210mm is that?

I had no problems closing my 5x7" Technika with an old 210/4.5 Xenar in, and after removing one rail it would close with a 300/4.5 Xenar in!

The 210/6.1 Xenar should be no problem at all.

newsbabe
10-Apr-2009, 07:40
It is the schneider apo-symmar-l -- I got it from badger graphic about a year ago.
I love this lens on 4x5, but is it huge and sticks out on the technika.

I could carry it ouside, but the point of lugging this metal block is to get some safety for your lens as well, no?

Maybe older version of this lens do not stick as much and fit inside?

How does one get Nikon 200mm? Badger does not seem have Nikon at all. I also don't see these "claron" lenses, maybe not made anymore.

Thanks for the help guys.

Ron Marshall
10-Apr-2009, 07:45
I don't know what I was thinking; I shouldn't have mentioned the Nikon 200mm because it barely covers 5x7. There are many better choices out there, as memtioned above, with much better coverage on 5x7.

It is the schneider apo-symmar-l -- I got it from badger graphic about a year ago.
I love this lens on 4x5, but is it huge and sticks out on the technika.

I could carry it ouside, but the point of lugging this metal block is to get some safety for your lens as well, no?

How does one get Nikon 200mm? Badger does not seem have Nikon at all. I also don't see these "claron" lenses, maybe not made anymore.

Thanks for the help guys.

Peter K
10-Apr-2009, 07:57
As mentioned before the (convertible) Symmar 210mm, the older version of your lens, is much smaller.

jnantz
10-Apr-2009, 08:26

how about getting a lens wrap, and stashing it in the same place where you
are lugging around your film holders, loupe, dark cloth, meter ...
thermos makes something that is padded and can be used as a tote.
it is a PITA, i agree, but not as much a PITA as shelling out the $$$ to buy
another lens and board and having your fingers crossed that IT won't stick out of your camera too ...

nice camera! have fun,

john

Bill_1856
10-Apr-2009, 11:02
Many lenses stick out futher in front of the lensboard than behind it. It's easy enough to carry them inside with the board reversed -- I don't know if this applies to your lens.

Gene McCluney
13-Apr-2009, 14:48
Certain lenses such as Nikon are only available used. Fuji lenses are not officially imported into the USA and only available at a few merchants that direct-import them. Many of the small size lenses are only available used, as the modern "trend" is to jumbo sized plasmat lenses.