PDA

View Full Version : Caltar II"E" 210, f6.8, Sweet or Sour?

Gary Albertson
27-Aug-2001, 11:56
Hello, I have been contemplating the seemingly excellent specs of Calumet's Caltar II E 210. Being primarily a backpack guy, that lightweightness is attractive, large enough image circle, yet don't like the 49mm image filter size, but can be obviously adapted down to(other lenses 52 or 67). Has anyone ha d any experience with this lens, its characteristics, its sharpness, its contrast? Than

Gary Albertson
27-Aug-2001, 12:21
An additional question...is this lens multicoated or only single coated? Thanks ***

CW
27-Aug-2001, 17:50
Tessar design made by Rodenstock, I think they call it a Geronar. I have one. It is great, especially down a stop or two. I put a ring to 52mm on mine. I use it on old folding Graphics and it works great. It is multicoated, at least any of them in the past 20 years. It is nice that it folds within the older cameras, my main requirement. It cannot be told apart from the Nikkor for quality after the fact. I do use the 150mm more because it focuses closer on the folders with their more limited bellows.

Kerry L. Thalmann
27-Aug-2001, 18:00
One minor correction to Chris' post. The 210mm f6.8 Geronar/Caltar is a triplet (3 elements in 3 groups), not a tessar (4 elements in 3 groups). The 200mm f8 Nikkor (multicoated) and the 210mm f6.1 Schneider Xenar (single coated) are both tessar types.

Kerry

Ashraf Nassef
28-Aug-2001, 01:22
is the 210mm f6.1 Schneider Xenar a single coated lens or this depends on the serial number and year of production ? Ashraf