PDA

View Full Version : Torn between two unusual lenses... help..!

redu
8-Apr-2009, 13:41
I've a Technikardan 23 with a bunch of lenses from 38mm to 400mm Tele. But I still need a decent lens like 150mm to sit in between my 125mm and 210mm lenses both for my 1:1 macro work and landscape as well if possible. I want the best possible lens with a budget of $150~200._ Working on it, i have two candidates here, G Claron 150mm f9 and Computar Symmetrigon 150mm f6.3. Both have huge, more than enough image circles for my 6x9 work. While G Claron is optimized for 2:1 to 1:2 AFAIK Computar Symmetrigon is optimized for 1:2 to infinity. G Claron is one stop slower. They are costing the same.

My questions are:
1) Are these optimization figures really that meaningful? What happens if i try to shoot 1:1 macro with a lens optimized for 1:2 to infinity. What do i loose first?
2) Which one would you buy amongst these?
3) Any other lens that you may suggest for me?

Thanks in advance for your attention.
Omer

catshaver
8-Apr-2009, 14:12
I have heard the G Claron is a fine lens at any magnification. Don't know much about Computar symmetrigon. A lens that gets good reviews in a 150 6.3 configuration is the Fujinon. It is inexpensive on the used market and an admirable performer.

I guess I would choose the lens that is the easiest to focus. An f9 in 150 is pretty dark.

catshaver
8-Apr-2009, 14:30
I guess I would choose the lens that is the easiest to focus. An f9 in 150 is pretty dark.

I meant of those you listed, not in general

Dan Fromm
8-Apr-2009, 15:10
FWIW, I've shot a 150/9 G-Claron against two 150/9 Apo Ronars. The G-Claron was the worst of the three.

Until recently I used my better 150/9 Apo Ronar hung in front of a Copal #1 on a 2x3 Graphic at all distances. No vignetting problems at infinity in spite of the lens' relatively small coverage. But Graphics have minimal movements.

I still have the lens, sacrificed its mount adapter to make an adapter for another lens. When I find a spare $65 I'll have SKGrimes make an adapter to hold the 150 in front of a #1. I have other 150s that I can use for landscape, other lenses that I can use for macro.

I use a number of f/9 and f/10 process lenses on my 2x3 Graphics. The shortest is a 135/10 Apo Saphir, the longest is a 480/9 Apo Nikkor (there's a trick to using it). All cover 2x3 at infinity. I don't find focusing at f/9 or f/10 particularly difficult.

Think harder before buying. In addition to the 150/9 Apo Ronar, a front-mounted 150/9 Apo Gerogon might do for you. The shutter to use with all of these lenses if front-mounted is probably the Polaroid MP-4 version of the Copal #1 Press; the shutter has no diaphragm so is pretty useless, therefore usually inexpensive.

About 150 Apo Ronars. They came in at least two mounts. Mine are tiny, the cells are too small to fit in a #00. Others are in a larger mount with cells that are direct fits in a #0, are sometimes offered in shutter. The 150 G-Clarons also go directly into a #0.

Good luck, have fun, make haste slowly,

Dan

Vaughn
8-Apr-2009, 16:41
FYI...I have used the Computar Symmetrigon 210/6.3 for 4x5 and 5x7. I found it to be a very sharp lens.

Vaughn

jnantz
8-Apr-2009, 17:41
i have both a computar symmetrigon 150mm f6.3 and the g claron 150 ..
i use the gclaron on my enlarger and computar on the camera.
ive never done macro work with either of them, but copy work with the claron .
the computer is a nice lens ..

redu
9-Apr-2009, 02:51
FWIW, I've shot a 150/9 G-Claron against two 150/9 Apo Ronars. The G-Claron was the worst of the three.

Until recently I used my better 150/9 Apo Ronar hung in front of a Copal #1 on a 2x3 Graphic at all distances. No vignetting problems at infinity in spite of the lens' relatively small coverage. But Graphics have minimal movements.

I still have the lens, sacrificed its mount adapter to make an adapter for another lens. When I find a spare $65 I'll have SKGrimes make an adapter to hold the 150 in front of a #1. I have other 150s that I can use for landscape, other lenses that I can use for macro.

I use a number of f/9 and f/10 process lenses on my 2x3 Graphics. The shortest is a 135/10 Apo Saphir, the longest is a 480/9 Apo Nikkor (there's a trick to using it). All cover 2x3 at infinity. I don't find focusing at f/9 or f/10 particularly difficult.

Think harder before buying. In addition to the 150/9 Apo Ronar, a front-mounted 150/9 Apo Gerogon might do for you. The shutter to use with all of these lenses if front-mounted is probably the Polaroid MP-4 version of the Copal #1 Press; the shutter has no diaphragm so is pretty useless, therefore usually inexpensive.

About 150 Apo Ronars. They came in at least two mounts. Mine are tiny, the cells are too small to fit in a #00. Others are in a larger mount with cells that are direct fits in a #0, are sometimes offered in shutter. The 150 G-Clarons also go directly into a #0.

Good luck, have fun, make haste slowly,

Dan

Thanks very much for useful info Dan. I understand G Clarons and Gerogons are comparable glass. I sure will look into Gerogons more seriously. On the other hand i only recall Ronars from my dad's huge Klimsch process camera. Didn't even know 150mm Ronars existed, at least not on ebay or keh.

redu
9-Apr-2009, 03:06
Computar Symmetrigon has some of it's own reputation as a sharp and generous in coverage lens. Pity it's little known. I have the 210mm f6.3 and yes it's sharp... but big. From some previous posts here i understand it's a single coated 4 element design but due to the minimum number of elements and the big hood that comes as a part of the lens, flare has not been an issue for me so far. Since i haven't got enough bellows length i couldn't check it's 1:1 performance as a reference to it's shorter bro, the 150mm one. At this time i would like to repeat my question;

What is it really optimizing a lens for a certain magnification ratio? What distortion(s) do i start see when i use a lens beyond it's optimized for (recommended) mag. ratio?

Omer