PDA

View Full Version : A Darkroom Cautionary Tale...

Tyler Boley
7-Apr-2009, 18:04
I just spent several weekends cleaning out a neglected darkroom. There was decades of accumulated chemistry in there that hadn't been monitored for a long time.
The Sodium Hydroxide had expanded and seeped out of the bottle, onto the shelf and other chemical containers. Some kind of dentritic crystals had grown around some of the stuff, The whole thing was a bit disturbing.
With some input from the local hazardous waste people, it was dealt with fairly easily.
What struck me was how casually this stuff was acquired over the years. Regular chemistry, more dangerous stuff for alternative processes, carcinogens, bleaches, very strong dangerous acids and bases. Much of which is now considered hazardous.
If digital, or other things, have kept you from your darkroom cabinets for a while, please go take a look. Obviously knowledge and careful use of chemicals is safe, but monitoring their storage is rarely mentioned.
Tyler

Vaughn
7-Apr-2009, 18:21
I have 1 kilogram of Potassium chlorate in my cupboard, shipped in 1981. I used .33 grams of it last week...first time I've used it in the 17 years at the job.

I called up my equivilent over in the Chemistry department...he said that it should be fine -- just not to hit any chunks with a hammer as it can get a little shock sensitive...

Vaughn

MIke Sherck
7-Apr-2009, 18:44
and here I still have a number of climbing ropes still. all those folks who have hanged themselves through the years and yet I still keep them...

Might make an interesting photograph...

;) Mike

Tyler Boley
7-Apr-2009, 19:01
I don't mean to minimize my own neglect, just thought I'd pass it on. There could be others...
Tyler

eddie
7-Apr-2009, 19:28
and here I still have a number of climbing ropes still. all those folks who have hanged themselves through the years and yet I still keep them...

thanks for the chuckle......

Merg Ross
7-Apr-2009, 21:11
Tyler, I can relate to your story, and how fortunate that the expense of your time was only several weekends.

I had a similar experience clearing out my father's darkroom a few years ago, the result of his photographic career that spanned fifty years. Most of the chemicals were from his personal home brew approach to photography, and some were from the use of his darkroom to devolop Brett Weston's Ektachrome 8x10's in the 1950's. The place was loaded with carcinogens, and all of the ingredients familiar to silver based photographers, some of which you mention.

Fortunately, I had the luxury of time, and a photographer's knowledge, to remove the chemicals to the local hazardous waste disposal site. I did this over a period of many months. It was a good lesson for me, and I vow to make the disposal of my darkroom chemicals a minor burden for my children.

Having said that, I love the chemical process, and it will most likely be the process I use until the end of my image making. However, for those wih a similar attraction to the process, be mindful that you are often working with carcinogens and toxic substances, so protect yourself accordingly.

ghost
7-Apr-2009, 21:13
If you have a complete darkroom full of fun chemicals and don't use it because your dickin around with digital... you deserve what you get!:eek:

IanMazursky
7-Apr-2009, 21:14
A few years ago i came into my darkroom after a 4 month hiatus and found that a new bottle of Perma Wash had exploded!
It covered 2 shelves with beautiful little crystals. It cleaned up easy enough but after that, i made sure that i opened every bottle that felt over pressurized. And i found a few Kodak E-6 chemistry bottles that started to leak. Poor packaging that Kodak later changed to stronger bottles.
I also separated all of the bulk acids away from any bases. Espcially Potassium Ferricyanide. That would have been bad!

Tyler is right, check your darkroom at least every 2-4 months.

Andrew O'Neill
7-Apr-2009, 21:17
A few years ago i came into my darkroom after a 4 month hiatus and found that a new bottle of Perma Wash had exploded!

That's bizarre. I wonder what caused it to explode?

IanMazursky
7-Apr-2009, 21:21
No idea..scared me though. I happened to be developing some film so i went to mix up a new batch of PW.
I picked the bottle up and my hand went through the side. It was more than half empty from months of leaking. And it was a new bottle but enough was left to do the run of film!

Andrew O'Neill
7-Apr-2009, 21:37
I have a bottle of PW that I haven't used in years. I have several packages of Quickwash that I brought over from Japan that I need to use up first. I think I'll go and check to see if my PW's bottle is still intact.

Tyler Boley
7-Apr-2009, 22:21
found some old bottle of B&S platinum too, could be a score!
Tyler

Hector.Navarro
8-Apr-2009, 18:00
I keep my chemicals in 2 containers similar to this one

http://www.rubbermaid.com/rubbermaid/product/product.jhtml?prodId=HPProd260076

not a single bottle has exploded, but if it happens it should not be a problem.