PDA

View Full Version : Problem with Jobo 3005, Pyrocat, TMY-2

Pfeiffer Duckett
7-Apr-2009, 15:13
I am having a weird overdeveloped streaking happening in some of my images. I'm using a motor base. They are not coming out of the same film holder, so I know its not a light leak (doesn't look like one anyway.) It happens sometimes, and only to a couple of negatives from a batch. I keep the prewash and developer and stop at 25 degrees C, while the fix stays at room temperature I use 1L for every wet step. The negatives are oriented right side up. My technique is as follows:

Load film in light free room
Push on lid, make sure it is centered after the lights are on
Level base with a level on top of the tank.

Prewash 5 min
Right before dumping prewash, mix A to B in water (1:2:100)
Dump prewash, pour in developer from beaker
Develop 12 min for N, lift tank every 30 sec or so to slosh developer towards its base
Dump developer with 15 sec left on timer
Pour in straight water stop bath, turn for 1 min
Dump bath, pour in fixer, turn for 7 min
Dump fix, wash film in tank replacing water ever 6 mins for 36 min
Pour in Photo flo turn 3 mins
Pop lid off, hand to dry.

It is only showing up in the developed silver, not on the base at all. It affects the printed image by almost one whole stop. I've attached an image, its not very good, but illustrates what's going on. It isn't a crop, it is the whole image.

Help!

ic-racer
7-Apr-2009, 15:24
Is the tank spinning when pouring in the developer?

http://www.jobo.com/jobo_service_analog/us_analog/faq/drums_on_motorbase.htm

Gem Singer
7-Apr-2009, 15:43
It's difficult to tell from your photo, but it looks like an area of over development, and the film is contacting another film during development.

Assuming that you are using Pyrocat HD, shouldn't the proportions be 1:1:100? It seems like you are using double the "B" solution (accelerator).

Also, 25 C seems like a very warm developing temperature. Pyrocat works best at 20C.

Pfeiffer Duckett
7-Apr-2009, 15:57
No, no spinning. It's going in almost perpendicular to the table, being poured in from a beaker. I try to rotate it a little bit as best I can but I don't have any tubing to pour it in while it's spinning. Think thats it?

And as 1:2:100, I used the development times listed in the article "testing pyrocat-HD" on unblinking eye as a starting point and I've been tweaking it. Clay Harmon develops at 75 degrees F, but I only have a C thermometer so I bumped the temp to 25 and cut my developing time a little bit.

Jeremy Moore
7-Apr-2009, 16:32
No, no spinning. It's going in almost perpendicular to the table, being poured in from a beaker. I try to rotate it a little bit as best I can but I don't have any tubing to pour it in while it's spinning. Think thats it?

Yes, that's the problem as I have had the exact same issue. Just get a funnel and some plastic tubing at a DIY type home improvement store. I'm assuming you're using a Unicolor or Beseler type rotating base. Put the tank on the rotating base, start it up, and then use the funnel to pour in the developer while it's spinning.

I started to do this based on advice over on Apug.org and it solved my problem 100%.

Pfeiffer Duckett
7-Apr-2009, 17:13
Great! Thank you!