PDA

View Full Version : Opinions on Dogmar 12.5 - Will it cover 5X7?

jmooney
7-Apr-2009, 06:39
Hi All,

I'm looking at a 5x7 and it comes with G.P. Goerz Berlin. Dogmar 1:4.5 f=12.5. So I take this to be a 125mm focal length with a Max. aperture of F4.5. Will this lens cover 5x7 with movements? I found a thread regarding a 180mm Dogmar and it did cover 5x7 but I'm not sure how the differing focal length affects coverage.

Also I'd be interested to hear any general impressions of this lens as well.

Take care,

Jim

Jim Noel
7-Apr-2009, 07:49
I don't have my charts at hand right now, but I doubt that the 125mm Dogmar will cover 5x7, especially with front movements.

jmooney
7-Apr-2009, 08:01
I don't have my charts at hand right now, but I doubt that the 125mm Dogmar will cover 5x7, especially with front movements.

As I said I'm new at this but just the vibe I got from what I've been reading I doubt it as well. This seller has multiple cameras for sale and I think just randomly pairs lenses with cameras.

Lynn Jones
8-Apr-2009, 13:24
Hi Jim,

No, it is a 4 element (all air spaced) dialyte type lens like the Artar. The original was the Celor, next it was modified to the Dogmar, and later to the Artar. It is very similar to the Kodak 203mm f7.7. The 125mm covered about 35 to 45 degrees, maybe just barely 4x5, maybe not except in close up mode. I remember using some Dogmars many years ago, they were good lenses if coated.

The fact that it is a "Goerz Berlin" tells us that B&J of Chicago either made it or brought it to the USA from Germany when they bought Goerz from Zeiss. Those German lenses weren't coated so B&J coated them in the US.

Lynn