PDA

View Full Version : Source of camera foam.

Duane Polcou
6-Apr-2009, 23:27
Greetings. Does anyone know of the availability of camera foam?
I am looking to replace the foam on a Wista between the rear standard and the interchangeable bellows. Every source I've seen looks to be for 35mm SLR's. Thanks in advance.

Gene McCluney
6-Apr-2009, 23:31
You can get sheets of thin foam and black felt at hobby shops such as Michaels and Hobby Lobby and others, as they are staples in arts and crafts. You can even get some of these materials with peel-n-stick backs. All you need is a ruler and a sharp knife to cut these materials to the size you need, and if you don't get the self-adhesive style, you can use trim adhesive or craft cement to glue these to the camera in question.

Aender Brepsom
7-Apr-2009, 00:59
Two or three years ago, I had to replace the foam seals on a Horseman VH. I bought a set from an ebay seller named interslice and it did the job very well.

Roger Thoms
7-Apr-2009, 07:51
Duane, I have some thin adhesive backed foam that may work, and I also have some adhesive backed black felt. If you would like I can drop some in the mail, PM me with your address if you are interested.

Roger Thoms

Harlan Chapman
9-Apr-2009, 18:37
The camera seal kit below worked well to replace the foam on my 5x7. I'd buy this stuff again:

http://cgi.ebay.com/The-Finest-Complete-Camera-Light-Seal-Foam-Kit-PROOF_W0QQitemZ110374974494QQcmdZViewItemQQptZLH_DefaultDomain_0?hash=item110374974494&_trksid=p3286.c0.m14&_trkparms=72%3A1234%7C66%3A2%7C65%3A12%7C39%3A1%7C240%3A1318%7C301%3A1%7C293%3A1%7C294%3A50

-Harlan

Archphoto
9-Apr-2009, 19:43
Thanks Harlan for posting, will be ordering my kit soon !

Peter

Aender Brepsom
10-Apr-2009, 06:03
The camera seal kit below worked well to replace the foam on my 5x7. I'd buy this stuff again:

http://cgi.ebay.com/The-Finest-Complete-Camera-Light-Seal-Foam-Kit-PROOF_W0QQitemZ110374974494QQcmdZViewItemQQptZLH_DefaultDomain_0?hash=item110374974494&_trksid=p3286.c0.m14&_trkparms=72%3A1234%7C66%3A2%7C65%3A12%7C39%3A1%7C240%3A1318%7C301%3A1%7C293%3A1%7C294%3A50

-Harlan

Yep, that's exactly the one I was recommending ...

Mr_Toad
10-Apr-2009, 07:00
Thanks for the info, guys!

FYI....I went to Fleabay and ordered some foam last night around 3 am, and the seller has already emailed me a reply and order confirmation.

Robt.

Archphoto
10-Apr-2009, 10:57
Just ordered mine, will be send to Holland for my repairs in July.
It is a pitty that he doesn't have more items on ebay, but sending him an email never hurts.

Peter

ic-racer
10-Apr-2009, 13:20
I have been getting my foam from McMaster Carr.
http://www.mcmaster.com/#foam-rubber/=1dzavt

CatSplat
10-Apr-2009, 13:47

Wow, now that is a great way to get foam. The selection is endless!

Bob Salomon
10-Apr-2009, 14:04
Wista service has just what you need. In the USA that is Marflex@aol.com.

Jon_Goodman
10-Apr-2009, 16:49
Hi from a new member! I like the format! Nice layout. I see some names I recognize here, and I hope to meet some new folks, too. Some of you know me as "Interslice" on E-Bay, and for those who have supported the light seal project, a heartfelt thanks. If you haven't tried the foam I sell, I think it might be worthwhile. All foam really isn't the same, and there are valid and honest reasons I am so picky about what I sell. What I have is skived in true mm measurements (true 1mm, 1.5mm, 2mm, 2.5mm and 3mm thicknesses and not US measures). If you want to see (and more importantly feel) mine before you buy, please send me a self-addressed, stamped (42 cent in the USA, 72 cent in Canada and 94 cent in any other country) envelope:
(please send me an e:mail or private message to get my address)
And include a note that you want to see some samples.

I haven't written instructions for large format gear yet. I have written some medium format instructions and scads of 35mm instructions. You can see them here: http://www.kyphoto.com/classics/sealreplacement.html

Thanks!
Jon

Jon_Goodman
10-Apr-2009, 17:09
It is a pitty that he doesn't have more items on ebay, but sending him an email never hurts.

Hello, Peter.
Yes, please send email. I will always answer. Here are some other things I have:

I have shutter cloth (but it is not listed on E-Bay since normally only repair shops or serious hobbyists buy it). Maybe people here would be interested, but it is thin...the .0065" cloth used in the Leica shutter is what I have in a vulcanized synthetic silk. It was made in Singapore, but they are not making it any more. It is not the heavier cloth, and so a large shutter might have to be run at a slightly lower spring tension to prevent bounce. I do not know, since I have not used it in larger shutters, but it has been used to replace shutters in some medium format cameras with success, and it feels similar to the material in the 645. I also have 3mm silk shutter ribbon, but this is becoming very hard to find now.

Also, camera leather kits, but only for 35mm cameras so far. The man in Germany who has sold my foam product there for the last 7 years has started a die cutting operation, and I am selling his goods also.

Also, a battery adapter I have made for years is now sold on E-Bay. It turns the #675zinc-air battery (hearing aid battery) into a clone of the PX-13/PX-625 mercury battery used for so many years in cameras, light meters, others. Guaranteed for life and a unique design, I think.

If there are other products needed, please tell me. If the demand seems good for the expense involved, I am always willing to consider.
Best regards,
Jon

John Schneider
10-Apr-2009, 21:22

McMaster also sells the self-adhesive felt. I used it to replace the felt on a couple backs. I don't have the item # but I bought the minimum length and had plenty for dozens of jobs.