PDA

View Full Version : Can't see GraLab 300 hands

iozone
4-Apr-2009, 20:30
I have an old GraLab 300 and can no longer see the second hand in the dark. Is there a way to bring the glow back to life? The new models appear to have plastic hands, do these glow brighter? Is there another, better replacement for the 300? I think simpler is better and just want a basic timer that I can see.

Thanks,

BarryS
4-Apr-2009, 21:10
How about buying some fresh glow in the dark paint or tape?

http://glowinc.com/SearchResult.aspx?CategoryID=2

iozone
4-Apr-2009, 22:19
Looks good. Have you used this?
On second look it seems the 24 hour paint looses 87% of its brightness in the first 60 minutes. Ya gotta wonder if that would be adequate.

Gem Singer
5-Apr-2009, 07:03
Retire that old Gra Lab 300, or use it under a safelight for timing print development.

The newer style Gra Lab 300 timers, in the plastic cases, have plastic hands and luminous dials that are much easier to see in complete darkness. They glow for 20-30 minutes after exposure to incandescent or fluorescent light.

Just do not expose photo sensitive material directly to the face of the timer.

Good used ones are available in the $30-40 range. The Gra Lab 300 is a simple timer to operate for film developing in complete darkness.

I've tried others, but IMHO you can't go wrong with the Gra Lab 300.

Phil
5-Apr-2009, 08:15
I jsut ordered a couple ounces of the water based paint from the site BarryS posted. I've got a couple old 300's that have the same issue with the loss of glow, but still work fine. I'll give it a try for $22.

I'm not sure the loss of brightness will be an issue for me - I use the timer for DBI in open trays. So, after lights out I'll unload the film holders (2 or 3 minutes), presoak the film (5 minutes), developer (typically 7 to 10 minutes), stop (1 minute or so), rapid fix (4 minutes) - so that's less than 30 minutes and the real critical time is about 12 to 18 minutes after lights out when I'm checking the negatives. I expect this will be an improvement over what I've got now. I'll report back in a few weeks...

Kevin Crisp
5-Apr-2009, 08:42
An art supply store will have fabric paint that glows in the dark. It keeps going for at least 45 minutes or an hour after you turn the light off. Touch up the hands. I've use it for putting little dabs on the corner of the sink, the corners of the shelves, the light switches, etc. and after 15 years it still works quite well.

Louie Powell
5-Apr-2009, 09:42
I repainted the hands on my 300 using phosphorescent paint that I bought at Michaels Art Supply. My recollection is that it cost less that $5 for a small bottle.

I also cut small pieces of phosphorescent tape that I bought at Adorama a few year back (there was a display on the counter next to the cashier - typical impulse buy). These have been used to mark standard reference times - N development, N-1 development, N+1 development, as well as 0 and 30 seconds, etc.

walter23
5-Apr-2009, 12:52
All you need is the adhesive phosphorescent strips. I've used the same stuff to mark corners, doorknobs, etc, in the darkroom. I guess the paint would be a bit more permanent and easier to make look nice though.

Rodney Polden
5-Apr-2009, 15:03
You might find that exposing the timer to direct sunlight for a few hours will turn things around. At least it's a free option to try.

Jim Noel
5-Apr-2009, 15:53
You want basic and extreme accuracy? Get a metronome.

iozone
5-Apr-2009, 16:00
Thanks to all who replied. I was about to take Gem's advice when someone offered to send some Glo Tape left over from their use of same.
I'll report back how it works.

iozone
5-Apr-2009, 16:04

I'm trying semi stand developement and my ADD causes me to lose count after about 20 or so.

Larry Gebhardt
5-Apr-2009, 18:15

I can't even use one for print exposure as I lose count. I can't imagine trying for paper development.

The new GraLab's with the plastic hands glow so much I feel I need to turn it around or cover it while loading film or developing color. Never tested it, but I assume it is fine and I'm just being paranoid. But the fact that I can see by it for 5 or 10 minutes is disturbing. I'd go for the paint on the older one.

Gem Singer
5-Apr-2009, 19:28
Larry,

Try exposing your Gra Lab to fluorescent light for few minutes. It will glow for at least 20-30 minutes.

I cover mine while loading film. It glows so brightly that I am concerned it will fog the film. However, the Gra Lab instruction sheet says no problem unless you touch light sensitive material directly to the face of the timer.

John Powers
6-Apr-2009, 03:09
Larry,

I cover mine while loading film. It glows so brightly that I am concerned it will fog the film. However, the Gra Lab instruction sheet says no problem unless you touch light sensitive material directly to the face of the timer.

Possibly related, I also cover my Premier glow in the dark probe thermometer when loading film. The thermometer has about a 2 ¼ inch face and is noticeably bright across a 11’x13’ dark room. No proof it is a danger, just cautious.

John