PDA

View Full Version : Film: The Best Archival Solution for Digital Files?

sanking
2-Apr-2009, 15:24
A growing business at this time is the conversion of digital files to silver gelatin film via LVT output.

See http://www.albumenworks.com/lvt_notes.htm

Sandy King

GPS
2-Apr-2009, 15:32
The simplicity of paper with all the consequent advantages over digital recording can never be replaced by any digital means intrinsically less simple. No single advantage of digital nature can knock the paper out of its role in its own domain. The same, analogically, is valid for film.

Richard M. Coda
2-Apr-2009, 16:01
It is not cheap, but the results are superb. I have done a couple of digital to LVT and at 8x10" (haven't gone bigger yet) they are indistinguishable from 4x5! I have also "fixed" some negatives that needed it and had new ones output, as well as making an 11x14" negative for contact printing from a 35mm negative.

Ken Lee
2-Apr-2009, 16:46
That really is amusing.

Ron Marshall
2-Apr-2009, 16:49
What a tremendous resource, in so many ways.

darr
2-Apr-2009, 18:04
I was utilizing a service similar to this in the late 80s/early 90s for making slides from scans and computer graphics for classroom presentations. I think the film Meteor Lab in Atlanta (now defunct) was using was a standard Kodak slide at the time. I have often thought of transposing some of my D200 files into 4x5" slides just to see how they would look. Thanks for the link.

Darr

asd
2-Apr-2009, 20:02
Is it only for B&W film output?

Why not shoot with film?

Ron Marshall
2-Apr-2009, 20:31
Is it only for B&W film output?

Why not shoot with film?

If I want to scan my film and digitally manipulate it, then output to film again to contact print this is a solution.

And many other possibilities...

asd
2-Apr-2009, 23:29
If I want to scan my film and digitally manipulate it, then output to film again to contact print this is a solution.

But with film, I manipulate it in my darkroom... in the past 20 years and future 20 years...

Richard M. Coda
3-Apr-2009, 06:30
But with film, I manipulate it in my darkroom... in the past 20 years and future 20 years...

I've done things on a drum scan, in Photoshop, that I could NEVER do in the darkroom. Nice to know you can salvage a "less than optimal" negative of a really good image, make a new negative, then go in the darkroom and make a fairly easy print.

neil poulsen
3-Apr-2009, 06:47
I'm thinking that someone should come up with some sort of gadget that could, at the scene record the image onto film without going through all the digital stuff.

Brian Ellis
3-Apr-2009, 07:02
Such a deal- only $115 for one sheet of 8x10 film. I can see an individual photographer using this service to make their own negatives from a digital file for contact printing if they don't want to do it themselves but an archival storage medium for an individual's photographs at those prices? I don't think so.