2-Apr-2009, 04:38
Just curious. Do all the Chamonix cameras from 4x5 on up use the same Technika
style size lensboards?

thanks,
Walter www.wjakubowski.com

Aender Brepsom
2-Apr-2009, 05:09
Hi Walter,

No, they do not, the 8x10 for example uses the larger Sinar/Horseman lens boards. But you could get an adapter to fit Linhof type lens boards to the 8x10 Chamonix

You can check the details here: http://www.chamonixviewcamera.com/cameras.html

Jay Wolfe
2-Apr-2009, 15:38
Hi Walter,

No, they do not, the 8x10 for example uses the larger Sinar/Horseman lens boards. But you could get an adapter to fit Linhof type lens boards to the 8x10 Chamonix

Yeah, but don't try to use real Sinar lensboards. They don't fit properly.

Jay Wolfe
2-Apr-2009, 15:38
Hi Walter,

Yeah, but don't try to use real Sinar lensboards. They don't fit properly. The suggestion to get a Sinar to Linhof board adapter is a good one.

Don Hutton
2-Apr-2009, 15:54
Yeah, but don't try to use real Sinar lensboards. They don't fit properly. The suggestion to get a Sinar to Linhof board adapter is a good one.Real Sinar lensboards fit my 8x10 Chamonix perfectly... I guess I must have imprecisely made real Sinar lensboards then...;)

Jay Wolfe
2-Apr-2009, 17:40
Real Sinar lensboards fit my 8x10 Chamonix perfectly... I guess I must have imprecisely made real Sinar lensboards then...;)

Don,

Take a look at the photo. This is a real Sinar lensboard on a friend's Chamonix 7x17 I've used a few times. The board fits in the opening, but the locks don't close all the way and the lensboard is precariously held in place. Perhaps Chamonix fixed this after he complained, but they never offered to fix this camera.

Don Hutton
2-Apr-2009, 17:53
On my 8x10, the lensboards fit fine and the locks "lock" just fine. I'd guess you could sort out the "issue" your friend has in about a minute with a small file or piece of emory paper... of course, that presumes using a small Phillips screwdriver to get to the locking wheels isn't beyond his nouse. It isn't rocket science.

Archphoto
2-Apr-2009, 18:00
This looks to me like:

Unscrew the 3 screws, put some thin spacer rings under each place needed, replace cover and put the 3 screws back into their places.

Looking for the right spacer rings takes me the longest time, I have so many of them in Holland...

Peter

Don Hutton
2-Apr-2009, 18:05
This looks to me like:

Unscrew the 3 screws, put some thin spacer rings under each place needed, replace cover and put the 3 screws back into their places.

Looking for the right spacer rings takes me the longest time, I have so many of them in Holland...

PeterYes - you could shim them out or file them - there are even choices here! Bottom line, the boards actually fit fine - just the locks need a little adjustment.

wfwhitaker
2-Apr-2009, 19:27
The tolerances on the Chamonix camera I had (a 6 1/2 x 8 1/2) were tighter than any other wooden camera I've seen, so it's not surprising that another Chamonix may be a little fussy about lensboards. Occasionally I had difficulty getting a lensboard to seat fully, but most of the time it was fine, even if a tight fit. There was little room for slop. Probably with use your camera will wear in. Do other Sinar-type boards fit OK? If so, before you go changing the camera, check the Sinar brand board which binds to make sure there's not a burr keeping the board from seating.

Jan Pedersen
2-Apr-2009, 19:56
I have several Sinar lens boards that fits my 8x10 perfectly, a little tight but they lock all the way and tight in this case i find better than loose.