PDA

View Full Version : What Is This Lens ?

W K Longcor
1-Apr-2009, 19:12
Time for the lens experts to tell me what I have. I’m guessing a projection lens of some sort. In a brass tube 3 3/8” long & 2” diameter. Only marking is the lovely “14” on the barrel. It seems to have two pieces of glass at the front and another two at the rear. There is a fixed, metal aperture just in front of the rear cells. There is no mounting flange. I'm estimating it at around a 7" focal length. It does not seem to quite cover 5x7 ( cuts off the corners). My goal is to sell it – but I have no idea as to what it may be or its value (if any). Any help or commentary would be appreciated.

Gene McCluney
1-Apr-2009, 19:47
That is a Petzval projection lens for an early 35mm silent motion picture projector. There was "somewhat" of a standard physical size for these lenses. They friction fit into a focusing mount on the projector. The 35mm 1/2 frame size of a motion picture image would only use the extra-sharp central area of the lens coverage.

Robert Oliver
1-Apr-2009, 19:48
lens for a carte de visite camera?

Mark Sawyer
1-Apr-2009, 19:51
Could be a Petzval, could be a triplet. Probably a projection lens.

Recent prices on these are all over the place...

Robert Oliver
1-Apr-2009, 20:18
I haven't seen a projection petzval with threads on the end like that, same with movie projector lenses. the movie lenses I have are mounted in smooth chrome barrels.

Here is a shot of a carte de visite camera.

goamules
1-Apr-2009, 20:19
To me it looks to me like a CDV or Gem lens for a multi-lens camera. Some had 2 (I've got that type with 2 Darlots), some 4, some more lenses. A partition in the camera allowed each lens to have it's section of the plate. If you unscrew the elements, you may find it's maker penciled on one element. Often, they are a petzval, assembled backwards with the air-spaced up front.

Edit: Wow, Robert and I must have been writing at the same time! Yep, a camera like he shows. Here is one of my Darlot tube lenses.

CCHarrison
2-Apr-2009, 04:51
yup, tube lens for a multi-image camera, circa 1860's-1880's. Not projection. Many were made by Darlot. The lens is threaded into a metal lensboard with other lenses to take multiple images of same subject.. most typically, 4 tubes on 5x7 camera....Also referred to as Bon Ton and Gem lenses...

see camera type here http://www.antiquewoodcameras.com/smc-bx1.htm

Dan

goamules
2-Apr-2009, 07:51
Dan, I think your link just solved a question I've always had about the ordering of the elements. I'd found that several of the tube lenses I'd bought had the cemented pair in the threaded end, and the air-spaced in the "front". I thought it strange the petzval design was reversed, because I assumed the threaded end was the rear. But your picture shows the threaded was the front, at least in this camera. It all makes sense now. I just need to find a camera to fit my brass plate/lenses!

CCHarrison
2-Apr-2009, 13:22
yup - the lenses are mounted and point "backwards" compared to a 'regular' camera with the lens projecting forward...

Dan