PDA

View Full Version : April 2009 Portraits

Frank Petronio
31-Mar-2009, 22:41
Leah

Andrew O'Neill
31-Mar-2009, 23:01
I don't know how you do it, Frank. I wouldn't be able to concentrate, would constantly be tripping over the tripod leg, forever wiping the moisture off of the GG from my heaving breathing, probably wouldn't come out from under the dark cloth either...Good work!

Ash
1-Apr-2009, 00:42
You made me wait what seems forever for these - I'd been waiting since your blog post ;)

Frank Petronio
1-Apr-2009, 04:23
For only US $15.95 per month endlessly reoccurring on your credit card I can give you first dibs Ash.

Ash
1-Apr-2009, 04:29
It's alright thanks, I'll just check your blog. :D

Harold_4074
1-Apr-2009, 14:19
Fascinating picture. It appears that she is wearing a bandolier with the ammunition upside down. Probably other points of interest in the photograph as well...

Frank Petronio
1-Apr-2009, 14:31
They sell those in the mall at Hot Topic.

This is probably the best straight one:

dazedgonebye
1-Apr-2009, 14:39
"Admonito."

She comes with a warning label.

Harold_4074
1-Apr-2009, 14:51

Nice to know, but my wife would never stand for it. I'd be better off bringing home a fake bandolier of ammunition, upside down or not.

Doug Dolde
1-Apr-2009, 14:58
Whats she measuring with the ruler Frank?

Armin Seeholzer
1-Apr-2009, 15:25
"Whats she measuring with the ruler Frank?"

The distance of the nipples I think! ;--))))
Or is she just waiting to measuring the penis of Frank:D :D ::D :p

Frank Petronio
1-Apr-2009, 15:33
You Doug...

So far all three guys who have mentioned it have thought it was to measure men.

So far all the women think it was to measure themselves, not us.

It's not a micrometer Armin!

Ken Lee
1-Apr-2009, 16:29
"What's she measuring with the ruler, Frank ?"

I presumed she was measuring the Universal Heliar "Handles" (http://www.largeformatphotography.info/forum/showthread.php?t=47229)

Blueberrydesk
1-Apr-2009, 17:10
Nothing as nice as Frank's. Just a family portrait shot with the fedora shutter. 8x10 Tachihara, 12" petzval, on FP4+ in PcatHD, lith printed with hot LD20. Selenium toned, 1:9 for 5 minutes.

Jim, the guy on the right, turned his head while the hat was coming down.

Allen in Montreal
2-Apr-2009, 21:11

I have not had time to post much, just catching up.

Sorry Frank, I just can't see beyond all those piercing! :mad:
She doesn't work for me.

Kerik Kouklis
2-Apr-2009, 21:53
And the horrible ink job.... Oh, well.

Frank Petronio
2-Apr-2009, 22:13
You know, if someone commented that somebody's subject looked ugly or too fat or that they looked like they were printed with mud smeared onto a cheap metal plate... it would be offensive.

And just not polite.

Criticize my photos, not the models please.

Ash
2-Apr-2009, 23:43
Man that's kinda rude. Should I balance it by saying the piercings look hot, she's a stunner and the inking isn't too bad - I've seen a lot worse- ? Cos that's my opinion.

Then again I'm young and a lil bit eccentric so I like Frank's models, and I like his style as well.

I was going to develop and post my photos of metal man Ringo, he's covered. But if a couple piercings and a tattoo upset people I think a man with about 30 in his face, shoulders and arms covered in old school Brit tattoos and genitalia that jingles would probably cause heart attacks.

Allen in Montreal
3-Apr-2009, 11:18
Ash and Frank,

I certainly did not mean to rude (if you were referring to me), but perhaps too brief while assuming you would follow my train of thought (which cyber land is not conducive to!).

Frank, she has perfect skin, it appears soft as a baby's bum as the saying goes, she has absolutely perfect breasts! And then she has several piercing, you can not help but look back and forth and struggle with that a little, there is a form of contradiction ingrained in our heads by society (right or wrong) that feels not to have been explored with the images as they are. I really feel the pictures could be so much more if you explored that further and use that subliminal tension that she has created.

It was not a criticism of the model as such but, but a question of what is being conveyed in that image, and what could be conveyed! The second image starts down that road, but again, it feels like it needs to be taken further and could achieve something really interesting.

Just a thought.

Ash,

Your example follows my train of thought of this, the heavily armored or painted, the better and more graphic. The contradictions of Leah do not apply to your pix, I would love to see the ones fit for public consummation.

Man that's kinda rude. Should I balance it by saying the piercings look hot, she's a stunner and the inking isn't too bad - I've seen a lot worse- ? Cos that's my opinion.

Then again I'm young and a lil bit eccentric so I like Frank's models, and I like his style as well.

I was going to develop and post my photos of metal man Ringo, he's covered. But if a couple piercings and a tattoo upset people I think a man with about 30 in his face, shoulders and arms covered in old school Brit tattoos and genitalia that jingles would probably cause heart attacks.

jb7
3-Apr-2009, 12:38
Frank, I'm a big fan, and I'd never comment on the model in a portrait-
not even if they were in a news item in a redtop rag-

I do have some issue with the ironmongery in these pictures though-

I'd imagine that you'd control all the elements in the picture,
but the background is just a bit cluttered and banal, found and not composed-
She is really quite perfect, but I'm just wondering what's behind what's behind her?

A picture doesn't really need to be dissected, but what it portrays can often be as important as how it's portrayed-
particularly if it is being discussed by those who may not be photographically or pictorially conversant.
Critique is always as dangerous to the critic as it is to the artist, if they're not careful-
perhaps that's one reason why their language is so impregnable-

The domestic setting for this single portrait is something of a new departure, from what I've seen of your work-
the (seemingly) low rent motel rooms depersonalize (or contextualize) the sitter, and make the picture into more of a fantasy-

In a way, I'm wondering if you are yourself making a comment on that which you say is out of bounds for comment...
I'm being quite convoluted here, but I'm familiar enough with your pictures to expect that everything is there for a purpose...
So I'm wondering if the kitchen knife block, among other things, was a considered part of the piece,
and if its inclusion as background clutter might be in some way a comment within the picture-

If it were anyone else's picture, I might not be wondering at all...

joseph

C. D. Keth
3-Apr-2009, 15:28
was going to develop and post my photos of metal man Ringo, he's covered. But if a couple piercings and a tattoo upset people I think a man with about 30 in his face, shoulders and arms covered in old school Brit tattoos and genitalia that jingles would probably cause heart attacks.

Post 'em mate! Lets give this month's portrait thread a bit of variety, something besides swirlies and people staring into the lens.

stehei
5-Apr-2009, 07:42
graflex with unnamed dallmeyer lens

Michael_4514
6-Apr-2009, 14:50
What really attracts me to the two photos that Frank originally posted are the facial expressions of the model. There's a lot there. I don't really have words for her expressions, but they seem very detached from the fact that she's half nude. You may be paying attention to that, but she is not. I can almost hear her saying "if you're looking at my breasts, or the tattoo, or the piercings, you're missing the point." And her expression makes me really want to know what the point is.

As for the background, I'm sure it's exactly what Frank had in mind. You'll notice how the edge of the wall lines up with the model's torso. Whether it works for your or not, and I'm not 100 percent sold on it, it is very carefully arranged. Sometimes these visual ideas work much better "live."

VictoriaPerelet
6-Apr-2009, 19:54
Frank, those are very nice pics and style that you had for quite awhile. Not sure why pple look for some high matters ... ruler is fun.

Here are few pics from two days ago. Not really applying for high art or anything. Model brought latex, I bough food wrap in in grocery store, here's combination:

C41 Kodak Portra 400NC standard development:
http://www.victoriasphoto.com/models/Fenne/big/c41-5.jpg
Sinar F2, Nikkor 65mm, F22

Type 55 neg:
http://www.victoriasphoto.com/models/Fenne/big/55-8.jpg
Sinar F2, Nikkor 65mm, F8

Kodak TMAX 400-2 (8 mins in HC110 dil 8)
http://www.victoriasphoto.com/models/Fenne/big/tmax-5.jpg

F2, Schneider SA 90mm XL, F22

dlin
7-Apr-2009, 11:10
Paper negative using an 8x10 camera and 15" lens wide open (f 4)

Ash
7-Apr-2009, 12:03
....still haven't developed my photos of Ringo!

Armin Seeholzer
7-Apr-2009, 12:13
Victoria really hot pics of hot woman's and shoes!

Cheers Armin

MIke Sherck
7-Apr-2009, 12:16
Daniel, that's amazing from a paper negative! Is this from a scan (inverted, presumably,) or a scan from a print? And if from a print, did you wax the paper negative or otherwise treat it to get such a film-like quality? Curious minds want to know!

Thanks,

Mike

dlin
7-Apr-2009, 13:42
Thanks, Mike.

No treatment of the paper negative. The effect is entirely the result of the diffusion/soft focus characteristics of lens. I did use a yellow filter in front of the lens to reduce contrast on the paper negative (Ilford MGIV RC).

All the best,
Daniel

Dave Aharonian
7-Apr-2009, 14:08
I've begun to dig into my stash of Polaroid 665 film. Taken with a small Darlot Petzval.

Frank Petronio
7-Apr-2009, 14:22
Let me be a girl

<3 <3 <3

Dave A. shot rocks

sgelb
7-Apr-2009, 14:26
www.stephengelb.com/alta2/index.html

Pfeiffer Duckett
7-Apr-2009, 15:47
Hey! I take pictures too!

http://panamodernmodern.files.wordpress.com/2009/04/14.jpg

Frank Petronio
7-Apr-2009, 15:59
Dang Steve, that's just a few of those Alta characters -- check it out

I bet they are still skiing powder this April.

http://frankpetronio.com/archive/alta_stories.html

eddie
7-Apr-2009, 16:06
I bet they are still skiing powder this April.

]

my brother just sent me an e mail saying they gopt 14 feet of snow in late larch. the total for this year was 51 feet!

MIke Sherck
7-Apr-2009, 18:56
Stehei: Very lovely tones and a delightful, not quite categorical expression but it bothers me that the far eye is so far out of focus, compared to the near eye. Maybe I'm too old fashioned?

Ash: I'd like to see the ironmongery, as it was referred to. Ringo as the name to go with it sounds perfect. I'd love to photograph the current generation of marked and pierced folks, but it's probably rather creepy for these kids to be photographed by a balding, white-haired geeky looking sort who never developed the skill of chatter.

Daniel: I'm curious as to what gave you the idea to try paper negatives for portraiture? In retrospect (like most good ideas,) it seems a natural.

Pfeiffer: Interesting, very film noir with the harsh lighting, the vaguely 40-ish clothing, etc. Her expression is very edgy, complex and vulnerable. Is that bright patch in her hair as burned out in the print as it is on my LCD monitor?

Keep it up, folks: I'm absolutely horrid as a people photographer and thus love the work of all you who are so much better at it than I am!

Mike

stehei
7-Apr-2009, 22:02
Hi mike,
about the out of focus eye, I don;t care too much about it, but it might help knowing it was not possible to stop down since I forgot to put my waterhouse stops in the bag ;)

About old geeks taking pictures of pierced girls, I don't think they would mind that much. What I wonder is what all those rulers, plastic tape and high-heels mean. To be honest, these pictures make me feel a bit uncomfortable, to me they portray emptyness. Some come close to the social funny statements made by Helmut Newton, but still not quite. Just not my cup of tea, I guess.

By the way, I took a look at Dave A's site, I think you make the best portraits in the wild I ever set eyes on! Great!

monkeymon
8-Apr-2009, 02:18
"to me they portray emptyness"

This is how I see them all so...

But hell, the whole post-modern portraiture seems to be about lazy & empty people, the lazier, more bored, fatter and emptier the better. Isn't this what the world is about nowadays, be the best empty-headed consumer you can! So let's all promote this, make more images and media of it so we have more and more of it.. till we become it.

The whole word, consumer just makes me sick.. how can people accept to be called that. (sorry, went slightly off topic)

MIke Sherck
8-Apr-2009, 06:12
But hell, the whole post-modern portraiture seems to be about lazy & empty people, the lazier, more bored, fatter and emptier the better. Isn't this what the world is about nowadays, be the best empty-headed consumer you can! So let's all promote this, make more images and media of it so we have more and more of it.. till we become it.

I think its just a phase; someone somewhere will start making striking portraits in some other manner and you'll be able to hear the creaking as the world shifts that way. Patience! :)

Mike

RDB Korn
8-Apr-2009, 08:05
By the way, I took a look at Dave A's site, I think you make the best portraits in the wild I ever set eyes on! Great!

I second this sentiment. Most "nudes in the landscape" that I've seen have a feeling of the nude draped on the landscape like some kind of garnish. In Dave's images, there's a wonderful integration of the model with the landscape that's very powerful.

Jeremy Moore
8-Apr-2009, 12:11
self-portrait. dallmeyer 3a. 11x14. paper negative.

http://i52.photobucket.com/albums/g10/jeremydmoore/paper_neg_06.jpg

stehei
8-Apr-2009, 13:23
that must have hurt at the dentist!! ;)

seriously, the Dof makes it a bit scary if you look at it for a while,
but its a real 'In your face' picture!

dlin
8-Apr-2009, 14:25
Another 8x10 paper negative

Ken Lee
8-Apr-2009, 15:44
Daniel -

I think your photos (here and on your site) are outstanding !

Great in every way !

eddie
9-Apr-2009, 08:58
self-portrait. dallmeyer 3a. 11x14. paper negative.

awesome shot!

what was the exposure time? how many did you shoot?

Dave Aharonian
9-Apr-2009, 15:43
Jeremy - AWESOME!!

Jeremy Moore
9-Apr-2009, 16:39
awesome shot!

what was the exposure time? how many did you shoot?

I shot it in the living room with a strobe. I shot 2, this was the 2nd.

Jeremy Moore
9-Apr-2009, 16:40
Jeremy - AWESOME!!

Thanks, Dave. I've been having a great time doing the 11x14 self-portraits, but am looking forward to doing some portraiture of others with it once the bronchitis passes.

Doug Dolde
9-Apr-2009, 17:26
Frank, is this where Ansel got his woodie?

vphill
9-Apr-2009, 18:39
Travis and Jeremy
Chamonix 4x5
Fujinon 360mm
HP4+

sgelb
10-Apr-2009, 10:27
my brother just sent me an e mail saying they gopt 14 feet of snow in late larch. the total for this year was 51 feet!

its true. we recieved about 150 inches in 2 weeks. deepest skiing of my life!!

www.stephengelb.com/alta2/index.html

sgelb
10-Apr-2009, 12:34
heres one more for all you haters out there....

velvia 50, maybe 10 yrs old with a 120 yr old projection petzval, darlot.

eddie
10-Apr-2009, 13:38
heres one more for all you haters out there....

velvia 50, maybe 10 yrs old with a 120 yr old projection petzval, darlot.

sweet!

sgelb
10-Apr-2009, 14:14
bokeh, dont leave home without it!!!

Frank Petronio
10-Apr-2009, 21:36
What Photoshop filter is that?

sgelb
11-Apr-2009, 11:25
its just some curves , shadows/highlights and a little sharpening in the center. the original image was very very flat contrast and very dull. there were more but this one was special I thought.

Shutter
12-Apr-2009, 08:03
Sinar P 8x10 @ 360mm 6.8 Symmar-S MC at f11.5
Fomapan 100 @ Rodinal (1+50 for 7 min)

I can't wait to make a lumen print of this negative :)

Paul Fitzgerald
12-Apr-2009, 08:27
Shutter,

"I can't wait to make a lumen print of this negative"

what is a 'lumen print'?

Shutter
12-Apr-2009, 08:55
Shutter,

"I can't wait to make a lumen print of this negative"

what is a 'lumen print'?

http://www.ggiliberti.com/Lumen2.html

I don't know how well it works with negatives, but I hope for the best :)

W K Longcor
12-Apr-2009, 08:57
Sinar P 8x10 @ 360mm 6.8 Symmar-S MC at f11.5
Fomapan 100 @ Rodinal (1+50 for 7 min)

I can't wait to make a lumen print of this negative :)

Even in the tiny thumbnail -- those eyes are beautiful! And a nice job by the photographer, too!

C. D. Keth
12-Apr-2009, 16:40
What Photoshop filter is that?

All of them at once?

jesskramer
13-Apr-2009, 20:38
Frank, two questions for you

what format are these images taken in 4x5..5x7...8x10 ?

Are these two initial images of this young woman scanned directly off the negative ?

Thanks,

Jesse

Frank Petronio
13-Apr-2009, 21:25
4x5 and I only scan negatives, mostly with an Epson 4990.

Jim Galli
13-Apr-2009, 21:46
Another 8x10 paper negative

Unforgettable, both! I know it isn't supposed to matter, but which lens for these. Focus is brilliant.

stehei
14-Apr-2009, 01:50
My daughter:

Dad, damn, when are you ever going to get a normal sharp lens and stop this petzval nonsense!!!!

dlin
14-Apr-2009, 07:08
Unforgettable, both! I know it isn't supposed to matter, but which lens for these. Focus is brilliant.

Thanks Jim and all.

Both portraits were taken with a new (to me) Visual Quality No. 2B lens, wide open. This lens has a lovely look that I have just started to explore.

All the best,
Daniel

Frank Petronio
14-Apr-2009, 21:15
Happy Tax Day!

kev curry
14-Apr-2009, 22:04
Ha....and its not even constitutional, those bankers sure are great scammers, so what happened to ''you cant fool all of the people all of the time....''! Hey Frank maybe you're the first man in history to finally find the law in the statue books that state that Americans are legally required to pay income tax on there labour? Could you reveal your evidence? Nice shots btw!

Jeremy Moore
15-Apr-2009, 12:12
Hey Frank maybe you're the first man in history to finally find the law in the statue books that state that Americans are legally required to pay income tax on there labour?

Wow, people actually believe these things?

Contention: The Sixteenth Amendment to the United States Constitution was not properly ratified, thus the federal income tax laws are unconstitutional.

This argument is based on the premise that all federal income tax laws are unconstitutional because the Sixteenth Amendment was not officially ratified, or because the State of Ohio was not properly a state at the time of ratification. This argument has survived over time because proponents mistakenly believe that the courts have refused to address this issue.

The Law: The Sixteenth Amendment provides that Congress shall have the power to lay and collect taxes on income, from whatever source derived, without apportionment among the several states, and without regard to any census or enumeration. U.S. Const. amend. XVI. The Sixteenth Amendment was ratified by forty states, including Ohio (which became a state in 1803; see Bowman v. United States, 920 F. Supp. 623 n.1 (E.D. Pa. 1995) (discussing the 1953 joint Congressional resolution that confirmed Ohio’s status as a state retroactive to 1803), and issued by proclamation in 1913. Shortly thereafter, two other states also ratified the Amendment. Under Article V of the Constitution, only three‑fourths of the states are needed to ratify an Amendment. There were enough states ratifying the Sixteenth Amendment even without Ohio to complete the number needed for ratification. Furthermore, the U.S. Supreme Court upheld the constitutionality of the income tax laws enacted subsequent to ratification of the Sixteenth Amendment in Brushaber v. Union Pacific R.R., 240 U.S. 1 (1916). Since that time, the courts have consistently upheld the constitutionality of the federal income tax.

Similarly, Robert L. Schulz, along with his organizations, We the People Congress and We the People Foundation, marketed and distributed to customers a fraudulent “Tax Termination Package” supposedly providing a way for taxpayers to legally stop withholding and paying taxes. The scheme was based on a number of false premises, including the claim that the Sixteenth Amendment was not properly ratified. In August 2007, a federal court permanently enjoined Mr. Schulz and his organizations from promoting the scheme. See http://www.usdoj.gov/tax/txdv07595.htm. United States v. Schulz, 529 F.Supp2d 341 (N.D.N.Y. 2007), aff'd 517 F.3d 606 (2nd Cir. 2008), cert. denied, 129 S.Ct. 435 (2008).

In March 2008, a federal court in California permanently barred Steven Hempfling from selling a tax fraud scheme that falsely claims to give customers a legal defense against criminal prosecutions for income tax evasion. The court found that Hempfling sold a “16th Amendment Reliance Program” that falsely promised customers that they could rely on the opinion of an Illinois tax defier, Bill Benson, to stop filing tax returns and to stop paying federal taxes and avoid being convicted of federal tax crimes. The court also barred Hempfling from selling “how-to” manuals that falsely tell customers that IRS tax liens and levies are invalid and that employers are not required to withhold federal income taxes from employees’ pay. See http://www.usdoj.gov/tax/txdv08250.htm.

The IRS issued Revenue Ruling 2005-19, 2005-1 C.B. 819, which discusses this frivolous argument in more detail, warning taxpayers of the consequences of attempting to pursue a claim on these grounds.
Relevant Case Law:

Miller v. United States, 868 F.2d 236, 241 (7th Cir. 1989) (per curiam) – the court stated, “We find it hard to understand why the long and unbroken line of cases upholding the constitutionality of the sixteenth amendment generally, Brushaber v. Union Pacific Railroad Company . . . and those specifically rejecting the argument advanced in The Law That Never Was, have not persuaded Miller and his compatriots to seek a more effective forum for airing their attack on the federal income tax structure.” The court imposed sanctions on them for having advanced a “patently frivolous” position.

United States v. Stahl, 792 F.2d 1438, 1441 (9th Cir. 1986), cert. denied, 479 U.S. 1036 (1987) – stating that “the Secretary of State’s certification under authority of Congress that the sixteenth amendment has been ratified by the requisite number of states and has become part of the Constitution is conclusive upon the courts,” the court upheld Stahl’s conviction for failure to file returns and for making a false statement.

United States v. Foster, 789 F.2d 457 (7th Cir.), cert. denied, 479 U.S. 883 (1986) – the court affirmed Foster’s conviction for tax evasion, failing to file a return, and filing a false W-4 statement, rejecting his claim that the Sixteenth Amendment was never properly ratified.

Socia v. Commissioner, 23 F.3d 941 (5th Cir. 1994) – the court held that defendant’s appeals which challenged Sixteenth Amendment income tax legislation were frivolous and warranted sanctions.

Knoblauch v. Commissioner, 749 F.2d 200, 201 (5th Cir. 1984), cert. denied, 474 U.S. 830 (1986) – the court rejected the contention that the Sixteenth Amendment was not constitutionally adopted as “totally without merit” and imposed monetary sanctions against Knoblauch based on the frivolousness of his appeal. “Every court that has considered this argument has rejected it,” the court observed.

Stearman v. Commissioner, T.C. Memo. 2005-39, 89 T.C.M. (CCH) 823 (2005), aff’d, 436 F.3d 533 (5th Cir. 2006). – the court imposed sanctions totaling $25,000 against the taxpayer for advancing arguments characteristic of tax-protester rhetoric that have been universally rejected by the courts, including arguments regarding the Sixteenth Amendment. In affirming the Tax Court’s holding, the Fifth Circuit granted the government’s request for further sanctions of $6,000 against the taxpayer for maintaining frivolous arguments on appeal, and the Fifth Circuit imposed an additional $6,000 sanctions on its own, for total additional sanctions of $12,000.

Ash
15-Apr-2009, 12:22
I'm sure the full uncropped image will be censored and deleted.

DO NOT CLICK unless you want a shock... If his face is anything to go by, you know what to expect of his genitals.

You have been warned!!!

Ringo:

http://i2.photobucket.com/albums/y43/second-belated/img407_crop_sm.jpg (http://i2.photobucket.com/albums/y43/second-belated/img407_sm.jpg)

Frank Petronio
15-Apr-2009, 12:38
you win!

jb7
15-Apr-2009, 12:59
I like a classy piece of jewelery-
that looks like a really nice watch...

kev curry
15-Apr-2009, 13:57
Shit....where's my elephant gun! Did he forget to take his tablets? Nice curls though, does he tong?

DO NOT CLICK unless you want a shock... If his face is anything to go by, you know what to expect of his genitals.

You have been warned!!!

Ringo:

http://i2.photobucket.com/albums/y43/second-belated/img407_crop_sm.jpg (http://i2.photobucket.com/albums/y43/second-belated/img407_sm.jpg)

kev curry
15-Apr-2009, 14:19
Go easy on the Tums Ringo!

Wow, people actually believe these things?

Aaron Rosso sheds some light on the subject....
http://video.google.com/videoplay?docid=-1656880303867390173

Jeremy Moore
15-Apr-2009, 15:59
Aaron Rosso sheds some light on the subject....
http://video.google.com/videoplay?docid=-1656880303867390173

Aaron Russo's views have been thoroughly repudiated as being misrepresentations by many people who actually deal with tax laws. Here is one such person, Jonathan R. Siegel, professor of law at George Washinton University: http://docs.law.gwu.edu/facweb/jsiegel/Personal/taxes/F2F.htm

Here's his page specifically dealing with the falsehood that there is no law enabling taxation: http://docs.law.gwu.edu/facweb/jsiegel/Personal/taxes/JustNoLaw.htm

kev curry
15-Apr-2009, 16:13
Very impartial indeed, does he work for the IRS...

Kerik Kouklis
15-Apr-2009, 16:27
Ringo could support the economy of a small nation with what he's likely spent on ink and iron work. He was always my least favorite Beatle.

Frank Petronio
15-Apr-2009, 16:29
I wonder how much Viagra it takes to, umm, "raise the bridge" so to speak? I mean I can't lift that much with my set-up and he's got at least 3-4 lbs of heavy metal in there!

Kerik Kouklis
15-Apr-2009, 16:31
Somehow I don't think he needs to raise the bridge. If he did, what would he do with it then??

Steve M Hostetter
15-Apr-2009, 16:41
damn looks like he got his dick caught in a tacklebox

matthew blais
15-Apr-2009, 20:18
damn looks like he got his dick caught in a tacklebox

:p :p :p

Michael Roberts
15-Apr-2009, 21:01
Thanks Frank and Ash!

Maybe you guys could get Sash and Ringo together for a shoot??

Kirk Keyes
15-Apr-2009, 22:25
Somehow I don't think he needs to raise the bridge. If he did, what would he do with it then??

Maybe it's what they did in the old days for birth control?

Ash
16-Apr-2009, 02:31
Glad you're all finding him hilarious. He's actually a really nice bloke. But yes, there is a lot that can be said for the guy ;)

kev curry
16-Apr-2009, 03:10
He could have been the front man on one of Zappa's percussion arrangements.

MIke Sherck
16-Apr-2009, 05:37
Glad you're all finding him hilarious. He's actually a really nice bloke. But yes, there is a lot that can be said for the guy ;)

Did you try a shot with lighting to get maybe a glint of highlight off the ironmongery? The lighting seems pretty flat to me -- maybe the only way to deal with half a gazillion specular highlights, but it would have been an interesting problem.

Don't even -think- about a star filter. :)

Mike

Allen in Montreal
16-Apr-2009, 09:01
I rest my case,
thank you Ash! :)

You have been warned!!!

Ringo:

kev curry
16-Apr-2009, 09:45
Ash, did Ringo shed any light on what motivated him to decorate the old chap?

Ash
16-Apr-2009, 10:28
The lighting setup was a softbox front to the side, however the scan is pretty bad because I'm losing all my highlights to get any contrast on him. Bad lighting setup I'm afraid.

I didn't really ask Ringo much about why he got so many tattoos and piercings. If he's anything like me he'd just reply "cos I felt like it" or "cos I can".

Frank Petronio
16-Apr-2009, 11:04
You really should have turned him a bit or had him open his stance so his cock was hanging away from his body. Trying to pixel-peep at that nasty thing gives me the creeps.

eddie
16-Apr-2009, 12:27
Trying to pixel-peep at that nasty thing gives me the creeps.

har har har! man that is funny!

monkeymon
17-Apr-2009, 05:45
I was going trough my garbage negative box and found this, one of my early lighting experiments... but no i can call it self-portrait.

http://www.taidejakonsti.fi/muutos/TEMP/tessar210mmf35_f56_snadi.jpg

I'm wearing a manbra by Ralf Lauren for this shot.

Tessar 210mm f3.5 @ something like 5.6 i think... i was getting all snobby with this lens thinking it ain't enuff sharp. Have to put it back on use.

BennehBoy
18-Apr-2009, 11:06
Some recent ones, apologies if the sizes clobber anyone:

300mm on Ektachrome 64T with 85B filter

http://farm4.static.flickr.com/3391/3452482934_3dee8f7425_o.jpg (http://www.flickr.com/photos/bennehboy/3452482934/)

165mm on Fuji PRO 160S

http://farm4.static.flickr.com/3598/3452617412_73265ff6ef_o.jpg (http://www.flickr.com/photos/bennehboy/3452617412/)

165mm on Fuji PRO 160S - flare & newton rings - doh!

http://farm4.static.flickr.com/3643/3452657574_0a09a7a1a7_o.jpg (http://www.flickr.com/photos/bennehboy/3452657574/)

165mm on Fuji PRO 160S

http://farm4.static.flickr.com/3362/3451982175_90661f9f7d_o.jpg (http://www.flickr.com/photos/bennehboy/3451982175/)

monkeymon
18-Apr-2009, 11:37
Damn, the quality is prettty nice... and the big pictures are always better, this is supposed to be large format forum.. and we post 640pixel images.

Steve M Hostetter
18-Apr-2009, 12:58
incredible

VictoriaPerelet
19-Apr-2009, 16:48
Here are few Polaroids from yesterday:

All Sinar F2, Nikkor 65mm, F16-22
http://victoriasphoto.com/models/DebDeVine/big/Type-55-5-3.jpg

http://victoriasphoto.com/models/DebDeVine/big/Type-55-12.jpg

http://victoriasphoto.com/models/DebDeVine/big/Type-55-10.jpg

Richard M. Coda
19-Apr-2009, 19:10
My first time posting a portrait. Please excuse the newton's rings... anyone know how to avoid them (Epson V750 Pro)?

For our LF class this semester, our instructor wanted us to include at least one portrait in our finals presentation. This was taken yesterday during my daughter's portrait painting class. This is her art teacher.

I was a little uneasy about doing portraits as it's not my forte. But I think this one turned out pretty well. I'd appreciate any constructive comments.

TMax 400, Fuji 300A, Arca-Swiss 8x10. f/9 @ 1/8 sec EI400, TMax RS 1:15 8 min in Jobo

Pete Watkins
20-Apr-2009, 00:52
Richard, I really like it. The depth of field is great in my opinion. Try cropping the girl standing up on the extreme right. I find her a distraction. Not a critisim, I couldn't do better. I can't even find out how to post an image on the forum!
Best wishes,
Pete.

Ken Lee
20-Apr-2009, 04:25
Here's a variation. I tried to give the image a little more depth, and just a bit more emphasis on the subject.

Shen45
20-Apr-2009, 07:22
My first time posting a portrait. Please excuse the newton's rings... anyone know how to avoid them (Epson V750 Pro)?

For our LF class this semester, our instructor wanted us to include at least one portrait in our finals presentation. This was taken yesterday during my daughter's portrait painting class. This is her art teacher.

I was a little uneasy about doing portraits as it's not my forte. But I think this one turned out pretty well. I'd appreciate any constructive comments.

TMax 400, Fuji 300A, Arca-Swiss 8x10. f/9 @ 1/8 sec EI400, TMax RS 1:15 8 min in Jobo

Great effort Richard.

I particularly like the tension created between the energy of the bright window obscuring but defining the painter in the background. This figure acts as a barrier to me leaving the image and yet does nothing to distract from the composition in fact to the contrary she forms a balance to the art teacher who is in good focus.

A very worthwhile environmental portrait.

Steve

Richard M. Coda
20-Apr-2009, 08:00
Thank you all for your comments. I think I am over my fear of portraits (or is it people)! Here's another one I took of one of the students. This one is 4x5 Tri-X, Fuji 210W, f/5.6 1/3 at 1/8 sec., HC-110 1:40 5 mins. 75 deg.

Don Hutton
20-Apr-2009, 08:14
You know they've grown up really quickly when they can do a 1/2s exposure with the 8x10... Kodak Portrait lens wide open on E100G.

BennehBoy
20-Apr-2009, 08:28
You know they've grown up really quickly when they can do a 1/2s exposure with the 8x10... Kodak Portrait lens wide open on E100G.

I can vouch for that. The shot of my youngest (on the tricycle) took about 45 minutes!

Steve M Hostetter
20-Apr-2009, 19:42

my daughter grew up with a camera in her face ... she can almost direct me. wonderful soft tones

Shutter
22-Apr-2009, 03:28
http://farm4.static.flickr.com/3019/3464639023_336ea009a1.jpg

Sinar P 8x10 // Symmar-S MC 360mm 6.8
Fomapan 100 // Rodnial

Tri Tran
22-Apr-2009, 21:34
This one taken with the 15 inches Darlot at wide open. Let me know what you think ? Cheers

http://img4.imageshack.us/img4/5927/scan0904220001t.jpg (http://img4.imageshack.us/my.php?image=scan0904220001t.jpg)

Kerik Kouklis
22-Apr-2009, 22:19
Wow, these last two are both fantastic, but in SUCH different ways. Nice work!

Jim Fitzgerald
22-Apr-2009, 22:28
Tri, it looks like I need to get my 18" Darlot back from Gustavo and put it to use on the 11x14. Very nice work.

Jim

Miguel Coquis
23-Apr-2009, 00:56
This one taken with the 15 inches Darlot at wide open. Let me know what you think ? Cheers

http://img4.imageshack.us/img4/5927/scan0904220001t.jpg (http://img4.imageshack.us/my.php?image=scan0904220001t.jpg)

Sweet color "palette", good balance backround/subject, (maybe push away white wall or column to further to the right...)

monkeymon
23-Apr-2009, 01:53
Something i have been trying to get.. but i seem to always get more of a mid gray look. Nice portrait in all aspects.

Tri Tran
23-Apr-2009, 06:18
Tri, it looks like I need to get my 18" Darlot back from Gustavo and put it to use on the 11x14. Very nice work.

Jim

I would like to see it . Nice focal lenngh and it is harder to find such lens now and day.Thank you all for the compliments.

Allen in Montreal
23-Apr-2009, 06:48
Tri,

Is the negative flipped or does she wear the ring and watch on her right hand?
Nice picture.

Tri Tran
23-Apr-2009, 09:31
Tri,

Is the negative flipped or does she wear the ring and watch on her right hand?
Nice picture.

Hi Allen,
She's left handed...just kidding, my mistake. you reminded me the Gazette Newspaper , I use to read it everyday for 15 years before I move to State. How's the weather there today and I bet there is a lot of Tulips in Jardin Botanique at this time right? Bonne Journee'.

Allen in Montreal
23-Apr-2009, 21:41
Tri,

:mad: I regret to report, we have had a terrible spring! The weather here is totally upside down the last few years.

Miguel suggested:
"Sweet color "palette", good balance backround/subject, (maybe push away white wall or column to further to the right...)"

Forgive me please if you already are aware and have done this, but if I may?
Have you tried to burn that section down a little to see how it looks?
My father (who was a photographer then later an editor) and my old CP editor use to turn prints upside down and glance at them for a second or two only to break the brains "corrective" powers!
Quickly note where the eye went in the first split second and adjust if needed.

http://img9.imageshack.us/img9/5927/scan0904220001t.jpg (http://img9.imageshack.us/my.php?image=scan0904220001t.jpg)

http://img19.imageshack.us/img19/5927/scan0904220001t.jpg (http://img19.imageshack.us/my.php?image=scan0904220001t.jpg)

Beautiful picture, very soothing tones, perfect balance of "swirl" and soft focus. Maybe burning the area will ruin it, but it may be worth a try during a future darkroom session just to see.

Please forgive me if I have overstepped my boundaries with your picture. I like the image very much.

Hi Allen,
She's left handed...just kidding, my mistake. you reminded me the Gazette Newspaper , I use to read it everyday for 15 years before I move to State. How's the weather there today and I bet there is a lot of Tulips in Jardin Botanique at this time right? Bonne Journee'.

Tri Tran
24-Apr-2009, 06:50
I appreaciated your helpful hints but I would prefer no marking on the photograph.
BTW I would like to know how do the burning when you do Pt contact print?

Tri,

:mad: I regret to report, we have had a terrible spring! The weather here is totally upside down the last few years.

Miguel suggested:
"Sweet color "palette", good balance backround/subject, (maybe push away white wall or column to further to the right...)"

Forgive me please if you already are aware and have done this, but if I may?
Have you tried to burn that section down a little to see how it looks?
My father (who was a photographer then later an editor) and my old CP editor use to turn prints upside down and glance at them for a second or two only to break the brains "corrective" powers!
Quickly note where the eye went in the first split second and adjust if needed.

http://img9.imageshack.us/img9/5927/scan0904220001t.jpg (http://img9.imageshack.us/my.php?image=scan0904220001t.jpg)

http://img19.imageshack.us/img19/5927/scan0904220001t.jpg (http://img19.imageshack.us/my.php?image=scan0904220001t.jpg)

Beautiful picture, very soothing tones, perfect balance of "swirl" and soft focus. Maybe burning the area will ruin it, but it may be worth a try during a future darkroom session just to see.

Please forgive me if I have overstepped my boundaries with your picture. I like the image very much.

Allen in Montreal
24-Apr-2009, 12:20
Hello Tri,

I have taken down the pictures.
And, to add to my embarrassment, I did not notice the PT contact, I was thinking straight contact! I posted at 1am, after a very long day of shooting for the paper and was moving too quickly. My apologizes.

cobalt
25-Apr-2009, 12:03
Family portrait in the Eastern Market, Detroit, MI.
4x5 Speed Graphic, 127mm Ektar, Tmax 100, Diafine, handheld.

thechrisproject
26-Apr-2009, 14:47
Frank - I've seen a ton of pictures of Sash, and those two are some of the nicest thus far. Thanks for sharing!

Ben - Love those shots. The one of (your dad?) in the kitchen is fabulous.

Rider
26-Apr-2009, 18:04

I've been at many malls, and I've never seen those for sale.

zwicko
27-Apr-2009, 01:36
http://farm4.static.flickr.com/3019/3464639023_336ea009a1.jpg

Sinar P 8x10 // Symmar-S MC 360mm 6.8
Fomapan 100 // Rodnial

Great shot!
I have just started using Fomapan 100 and Rodinal - seems to work out quite well...

unrealalex
27-Apr-2009, 02:19
http://www.ambrotype.ru/blog/2life011.jpg (http://www.ambrotype.ru/index_en.html)
Penwoman, Ambrotype on black glass, 8x10"

Lens: Dallmeyer 3A at F/4
I used 2 light sources + reflector + small mirror

Shutter
27-Apr-2009, 03:09
Thank you!
I did have some problems with this particular sheet, the developer mixture was about a week old and quite diluted (1+50) so the negative was nearly transparent.
But despite the fact that the Fomapan is very very thin I was able to get a decent picture out of it :)

Jim Galli
27-Apr-2009, 12:05
http://tonopahpictures.0catch.com/StaffordVoigtlander/JonahCaedonNewsies_2ss.jpg
Caedon, Jonah, 1910 street newsies

My first portrait in a while since getting the wind knocked out of me a month or so ago. This is an 11X14 sheet exposed with a Voigtlander Euryscop Portrait #7 on the big Century 8.

The Euryscop Portrait is faster than the normal Series IV Euryscop. f4 vss f6. Otherwise the look with the one in the classifieds would be identical but with just a tad more DOF. The Serie II #7 is an 18 inch lens.

The real story here is getting a 6 and a 7 year old to stand still in front of a camera they could both fit inside of. Next time I'll round up all the cats in the neighborhood and herd them upstairs for a portrait. It would be easier.

EdWorkman
27-Apr-2009, 12:18
I like it a lot

DOF appears to differ a lot left to right- izzat just backward movement of the subject?

Good luck with the cats- I keep threatening to try 8x10 on my 2 yr old granddaughter, maybe I'll start with the cats and work up

Paul Kierstead
27-Apr-2009, 12:19
(image, see previous page)

Shutter, that one really intrigues me. I keep coming back to look at it. Very very well envisioned and shot. Funnily enough, I don't think I would even call it a portrait, since it isn't really her (the person) you are photographing, I think.

Alex Wei
27-Apr-2009, 12:20
http://tonopahpictures.0catch.com/StaffordVoigtlander/JonahCaedonNewsies_2ss.jpg

My first portrait in a while since getting the wind knocked out of me a month or so ago. This is an 11X14 sheet exposed with a Voigtlander Euryscop Portrait #7 on the big Century 8.

The Euryscop Portrait is faster than the normal Series IV Euryscop. f4 vss f6. Otherwise the look with the one in the classifieds would be identical but with just a tad more DOF. The Serie II #7 is an 18 inch lens.

The real story here is getting a 6 and a 7 year old to stand still in front of a camera they could both fit inside of. Next time I'll round up all the cats in the neighborhood and herd them upstairs for a portrait. It would be easier.

Nice picture, Jim, guess I have to wait for one more year, I tried to photo my daughter with a Petzval lens but no success, she just keeps moving:D

Jim Galli
27-Apr-2009, 12:21
I like it a lot

DOF appears to differ a lot left to right- izzat just backward movement of the subject?

Good luck with the cats- I keep threatening to try 8x10 on my 2 yr old granddaughter, maybe I'll start with the cats and work up

Thanks. Yes, pure lunacy working with laddies this age and a lens that has a depth of about 1/2 inch. Maybe I'll take them to a taxidermist.

Paul Kierstead
27-Apr-2009, 12:59
I hate quoting someone else's photo inline, but here it is kinda necessary:

165mm on Fuji PRO 160S

http://farm4.static.flickr.com/3362/3451982175_90661f9f7d_o.jpg (http://www.flickr.com/photos/bennehboy/3451982175/)

I really like this photo. It has a certain formal, portrait look, yet is clearly in a "regular" home surroundings and none of the "portrait" "props". In fact, it very very appealing. What I don't really understand is why. For example, give me architecture, or landscape, for example, I know and like a lot of the typical LF traits; very square and geometric; all the perspective corrected, etc. It gives it a formal look that I tend to like. Now this photograph has none of that, yet it looks "LF" for some reason; it has that formal, careful look, and yet still engages the viewer. What is it about this kind of photograph that manages this?

Jim Graves
27-Apr-2009, 13:07
I like this photo a lot. I like it because of the contradiction within the shot and the subject. It's like two photos in one.

First, it is a formal portrait sitting in a decidedly informal environment. Second, it is split right down the middle of the subject ... with subtle, soft colors and texture on the left and a softer, shadowed view of the face while on the right the face is starker, the colors are bright, contrasty and jarring and the background is cluttered and jumbled. Very interesting.

Frank Petronio
28-Apr-2009, 16:18
Shannon

Allen in Montreal
28-Apr-2009, 16:24
Nice! I really like the expression on the boy on the left.

VictoriaPerelet
28-Apr-2009, 18:33
2 from this week

Why they do not use LF for weddings anymore? like good ol days:)

http://www.victoriasphoto.com/models/Mandie/big/Type-55_7.jpg

http://www.victoriasphoto.com/models/Mandie/big/Type-55_6.jpg

Type 55, Sinar F2, Nikkor 65mm, F22, 1/120s

eddie
28-Apr-2009, 19:25
2 from this week

Why they do not use LF for weddings anymore? like good ol days:)

Type 55, Sinar F2, Nikkor 65mm, F22, 1/120s

i do....but the brides have more cover on in my photos.....

monkeymon
29-Apr-2009, 04:29
I did some wedding fotos with speed graphic allso, not actually a portrait... but as long as we are one the subject.

http://www.taidejakonsti.fi/muutos/TEMP/haat4x5.jpg

adrian tyler
29-Apr-2009, 05:05
from a series of 25 done last week

Mark Sampson
29-Apr-2009, 18:00
Adrian, those are fascinating. I wish I could see the originals.

sly
29-Apr-2009, 22:29
Here is my first portrait with my 8x10. I don't have enough coverage with my 240 Schneider lens. The shutter doesn't work so I have to use it like a barrel lens, only exposures I can count in seconds. But I'm thrilled with the big negs, and plan lots of alt printing. There will be more portraits in the future, I hope.
This is my loving and forbearing spouse, in our living room. Film FP4+, developed in Rodinal 1+50. Cyanotype on Fabriano Artistico.

adrian tyler
29-Apr-2009, 22:52
thanks! here are a few more

Jim Galli
30-Apr-2009, 07:09
Here is my first portrait with my 8x10. I don't have enough coverage with my 240 Schneider lens. The shutter doesn't work so I have to use it like a barrel lens, only exposures I can count in seconds. But I'm thrilled with the big negs, and plan lots of alt printing. There will be more portraits in the future, I hope.
This is my loving and forbearing spouse, in our living room. Film FP4+, developed in Rodinal 1+50. Cyanotype on Fabriano Artistico.

Hmmm. I cannot think of any Schneider lens of 240mm that would not cover an 8X10. Do you have a longish lens shade on it? Or a stack of filters to throttle the amount of light?

sly
30-Apr-2009, 09:51
Hmmm. I cannot think of any Schneider lens of 240mm that would not cover an 8X10. Do you have a longish lens shade on it? Or a stack of filters to throttle the amount of light?

I'm not using the lens shade, and no filters either. Around the lens it says:

"Schneider-Kreuznach Tele-Xenar 1:5.5 240"

I've assumed that the "tele" means it is meant as a telephotoish lens for 4x5? There is definately not enough coverage when focusing on landscapes or something more than 6 feet away.

Frank Petronio
30-Apr-2009, 10:52
You got it right, it may only barely cover 4x5 even, a lot of those were meant for 6x9 cameras.

Swap it for a 10" Commercial Ektar or Caltar, or 240/5.6 Symmar, Sironar, Nikkor or a 250mm Fuji.

Jim Galli
30-Apr-2009, 11:06
Yep, that's the one Schneider I hadn't thought of and the one that won't cover 8X10.

Struan Gray
30-Apr-2009, 11:25
Just to nitpick: I don't think a 240 Apo-Artar will cover either :-)

sly
30-Apr-2009, 11:34
Anybody want to swap? I'm saving for 2 month trip to Europe, and can't buy any more gear in the forseeable future.

Frank Petronio
30-Apr-2009, 11:39
You're probably looking at adding some cash, it wouldn't be an even deal for lenses in equal condition.

sly
30-Apr-2009, 11:56
That's what I thought. I'll make do for now. It's fine for close-up still-life shots, and OK for portraits if you don't mind the vignetted corners.

Noeyedear
30-Apr-2009, 12:05
[QUOTE=Ash;458967]I'm sure the full uncropped image will be censored and deleted.

You have been warned!!!

Ringo:

I suppose breakers yards and electro magnets have to be given a wide berth.

Kevin.

Tri Tran
30-Apr-2009, 20:04
http://img22.imageshack.us/img22/5880/scan0904240002.jpg (http://img22.imageshack.us/my.php?image=scan0904240002.jpg)

Portrait taken with Heliar 360mm on 8x10 .

BennehBoy
2-May-2009, 04:12
I hate quoting someone else's photo inline, but here it is kinda necessary:

I really like this photo. It has a certain formal, portrait look, yet is clearly in a "regular" home surroundings and none of the "portrait" "props". In fact, it very very appealing. What I don't really understand is why. For example, give me architecture, or landscape, for example, I know and like a lot of the typical LF traits; very square and geometric; all the perspective corrected, etc. It gives it a formal look that I tend to like. Now this photograph has none of that, yet it looks "LF" for some reason; it has that formal, careful look, and yet still engages the viewer. What is it about this kind of photograph that manages this?

I'm glad you like the photo, it's precisely the kind of portraiture I enjoy - showing people in their normal environments let's us explore a little about them and helps them to feel at ease. In that one I deliberately had all the lines converging on him, I think he spoke whilst the exposure was happening hence the blurred chin. It's a photo of my Dad by the way.

Mark Sampson
2-May-2009, 09:39
Tri, your portrait, post #148, is just perfect.

Steve M Hostetter
2-May-2009, 14:27
My first print, 8x10 contact print made with an enlarger.

made from: 11x14" Ilford HP5+ film, Foma RC paper

camera: 11x14" Deardorf commercial & Kodak 16" 4.5 near wide open on semi-centennial #1 stand

sorry for the extremely shitty scan

Steve M Hostetter
2-May-2009, 14:42
I was waiting for a train and along come Mennonites..

Sinar P 480mm 8.4 Symmar right swing, 8x10" Tmax400 scan negs

added: in the last picture your seeing ( in case image is to small) is a female Mennonite taking a digital photograph of a woman holding a small child and the father smiling from ear to ear... I asked them kindly If I could photograph and they asked me if I wanted them to pose.. I said,"please just continue about you business ... They soon forgot I was there. The father did pose with his child for one shot but I was so nervous the shutter wasn't coked and no film was exposed:D

oh, by the way, they asked me if I was video taping and I told them,"no just an old camera. Victorian technoligy, they sorta smiled like this :D

Jim Galli
2-May-2009, 14:54

Very neat. Man with 2 wives deciding which one to throw over the edge?

jb7
2-May-2009, 14:57
Wow, that first one is really special-
hard to think of the picture without the people,
they're such an integral part of the composition-

The plainness of their dress combined with the beautiful lattice work of the bridge give the picture an 'out of this world' quality-
and of course, the camera and processing contribute to this feeling-
an inbuilt nostalgia-

Timeless or yesterday?
impossible to tell...

Wonderful picture-

eddie
2-May-2009, 15:22

thanks jim! i needed a good laugh! and i am still laughing....

Steve M Hostetter
2-May-2009, 17:09

lmao :)

Steve M Hostetter
2-May-2009, 18:41
Wow, that first one is really special-
hard to think of the picture without the people,
they're such an integral part of the composition-

The plainness of their dress combined with the beautiful lattice work of the bridge give the picture an 'out of this world' quality-
and of course, the camera and processing contribute to this feeling-
an inbuilt nostalgia-

Timeless or yesterday?
impossible to tell...

Wonderful picture-
Thank you for the kind words :)

Frank Petronio
2-May-2009, 19:01
We used to live in a Mennonite area -- the boys would drink corn liquor and race pick-up trucks - the women would weed wack in long skirts -- good folks, looser than Mormans and the Amish.

Richard M. Coda
2-May-2009, 20:13

Why not both? ;)

They really are beautiful photographs, though. The first one in particular. Looks a hundred years old.

Jan Pedersen
2-May-2009, 20:31
Or, the women found out that there is a third and desided to take him for a walk.

Agree with you Richard, they really do look like they could be a hundred years old.

Tim Meisburger
2-May-2009, 21:43
I don't think Mennonites are polygamous. You are thinking of Mormons, who used to be polygamous. I doubt either religious group throws people off bridges very often.

Mark Sawyer
3-May-2009, 08:39
The Mennonites, like the Amish, are best known for their abstinance from modern technology. Thank heavens we don't have anyone like that on this forum! :rolleyes:

sgelb
3-May-2009, 08:45
dude these are sweet images. do you know rare that scene is? any jackass can take a picture of a train.. not everyone can get an image of real people and make it look "real" in terms of period.. pretty sweet images man.

added: in the last picture your seeing ( in case image is to small) is a female Mennonite taking a digital photograph of a woman holding a small child and the father smiling from ear to ear... I asked them kindly If I could photograph and they asked me if I wanted them to pose.. I said,"please just continue about you business ... They soon forgot I was there. The father did pose with his child for one shot but I was so nervous the shutter wasn't coked and no film was exposed:D

oh, by the way, they asked me if I was video taping and I told them,"no just an old camera. Victorian technoligy, they sorta smiled like this :D

Steve M Hostetter
3-May-2009, 09:00
dude these are sweet images. do you know rare that scene is? any jackass can take a picture of a train.. not everyone can get an image of real people and make it look "real" in terms of period.. pretty sweet images man.

Thank you sgel,, I realized right off this was a special encounter and I did savor the moment.. I did have my mind on a train but was able to switch gears ,, some Amish don't like their photos taken. They tend to believe that it steals part of ones soul.
When I seen the camera hanging from the ladies neck my first question was," are you Mennonite"?
He said yes and I told him my name is connected to Mennonite's and he told me his name was Grober..

Allen in Montreal
3-May-2009, 10:34
That first frame is really nice!!

I was waiting for a train and along come Mennonites........