PDA

View Full Version : Advice on HP5+ and fibre paper please..

brian robertson
31-Mar-2009, 07:23
Dear Forum,
I'm very new to 5x4, and sorted out some basic kit for portraits. I'm about to start using (currently) Ilford HP5 so my first question concerns this- should I rate it at 200 and alter development appropriately? Most shots will be indoors, mainly ambient light.
Second is, what is a good, cheap. fibre paper for variable grade printing? I'm a student and any cash saved is diverted back into photography!
many thanks, B.

David Karp
31-Mar-2009, 07:34
For good VC fiber paper, check out the offerings at Freestyle. They still have some rebranded Ilford MGIVFB (Arista Premium, I think) and Kentmere VCFB (Arista.EduUltra). They also offer Ilford, Foma, Slavich, and lots of other papers.

photographs42
31-Mar-2009, 07:44
Brian,
My tests show that, for my system, HP5+ should be exposed at ISO 400. I do exteriors primarily so my advice would be to try a few sheets at different settings and study the results. Full film speed and development testing is more accurate but, of course, more expensive.
Jerome

Gem Singer
31-Mar-2009, 08:03
I have been using Ilford HP-5+ for many years at the recommended ISO 400 speed.

Develop it in Ilford DD-X developer.

Check with Freestyle, and select a fiber base VC paper that fits your budget. You can't go wrong.

Andrew O'Neill
31-Mar-2009, 08:27
Now if I were to take the advice of using 400 as my EI, I would end up with very thin, muddy shadows. A normal EI for me in HP5+ in pyrocat-HD and Xtol 1+1 is 250. This may not work for you either. You have to find out for yourself what EI and development works best for you.

Eric Biggerstaff
31-Mar-2009, 09:31
You need to test, it is the only way to really dial your film speed in. In my system, I rate HP5+ faster than box speed, so as you can tell from the responses your personal EI will depend on your meter, developer and developing method. There are various ways to test, some more straight forward than others, and each method has it's good and bad points. Most here would tell you that some form of testing, while taking time and film up front, will save you much frustration and dissapointment in the long run. So, find a method and spend a weekend doing some film testing, once done you will be much more confident that your results will be as expected.

If you are in the US, then Freestyle will have the best selection of papers and chemicals, but if you are in England then I am not sure who would be your best source.

kev curry
31-Mar-2009, 10:22
You might consider having Fred Newman at the View Camera Store do a very comprehensive film test for you. Its money well spent.

http://www.viewcamerastore.com/default.php?cPath=35

Andrew O'Neill
31-Mar-2009, 23:24
Most here would tell you that some form of testing, while taking time and film up front, will save you much frustration and dissapointment in the long run. So, find a method and spend a weekend doing some film testing, once done you will be much more confident that your results will be as expected.

Right on the money, Eric. I found once I personalized everything, I could tackle any problems that a potential image would throw at me. That also includes how a film responds to reciprocity effects, too. I remember there was a time when I would avoid long exposures like the plague because I didn't know how to deal with them. It wasn't until I did my own testing I felt liberated. Your photography will only get stronger.
So, the bottom line is, know your tools.

Being a student, you might also want to consider practicing on RC paper, rather than fibre...When you think you have a presentable image, print it on a fibre-based paper.