PDA

View Full Version : Can you take picture against backlight?

jvuokko
31-Mar-2009, 04:17
Hi,

Following sample image is taken with Symmar-S 5.6/150mm. It's single coated I believe.
The sun was high at right side, I used orange glass filter (multicoated) and compendium. I also shaded the camera and lens with my body.

Still the result is... Fogged..
There's no clear lens reflections, so I presume that the sun itself was not problem. Could the bright reflections on ice give a problem?
Or compendium hood's inside?

In general, how much do you avoid backlight situations?

http://jukkavuokko.com/linkatut/lf/symmar-s-flare.jpg

Per Madsen
31-Mar-2009, 04:56
This type of "against the light" pictures are one of the areas where
multicoating makes a differance.

Bruce Watson
31-Mar-2009, 06:21
Could be that a multicoated lens would have helped. OTOH, the fogged effect could be due to local humidity and, quite literally, fog above the water.

Try a similarly lighted scene that doesn't involve close proximity to water and see if you get a similar "fogging" effect. If not, then it's the local fog over the water causing your problem.

Archphoto
31-Mar-2009, 06:43
In that case: the film sees more than the eye......

Peter

Gem Singer
31-Mar-2009, 06:57
You have moisture condensation either on our lens, your filter, or both.

MIke Sherck
31-Mar-2009, 07:10
I'm going with Gem; that looks like condensation to me, not flare.

Mike

Frank Petronio
31-Mar-2009, 07:32
It could be a lot of things, from a weakened translucent bellows to flare to moisture. You just have shoot under different conditions to figure out the answer.

Jim Noel
31-Mar-2009, 08:06
It makes little difference if a lens is single or multi-coated if you use a cheap filter in front of it.
On this photo I agree it is fogging or condensation on the filter or the lens.

IanG
31-Mar-2009, 23:38
As others have said it doesn't appear to be flare. I thought all the Symmar-S's were Multi-coated. Maybe the very first weren't, like the very first Sironars.

My experience with two Symmar-S's and two Sironar's is that they are remarkably flare resistant even when shooting with the sun in the image circle.

Ian

jvuokko
1-Apr-2009, 07:59
Thanks, I have to take some test shots with polaroid. Perhaps it was moisture or something that I wasn't aware of.

My Symmar-S serial number is 12 566 373. According to Schneider-Kreuznach it's made between 4/1974 - 1976.

lungovw
2-Apr-2009, 05:51
When shooting with uncoated lenses, in one of those flare prone situations, is there anything you guys do in film development or printing to compensate the unwanted effect? How did the old masters do? I mean, before lens coating. Wagner

Steve Hamley
2-Apr-2009, 06:44
I think it's fog above the water. The fog is almost entirely above water, with the very leftmost tree near normal and the trees less foggy the further from the water going right. Also, the further away an object is the foggier it seems. The fir trees on the right appear to have less fog than the trees in the immediate background behind them.

So over the river and further = more fog may mean that the fog was really there. Your eye tends to compensate for things film doesn't.

Cheers, Steve