PDA

View Full Version : shutter oil/lube question

Erik Larsen
29-Mar-2009, 09:12
Hi folks,
Can someone enlighten me as to whether I should lightly lube the the little piston
of a dial set compur/compound ( I can't read it all as it has the aperture scale over the name) Or should I just clean it up and reinsert dry?

Also, any recommendations as to a very light oil to use on shutters that I may be able to get locally (ace hardware, etc)

regards
erik

Glenn Thoreson
29-Mar-2009, 09:32
If it's a Compound shutter, the piston and bore must be absolutely clean and dry. No oil! :D

Erik Larsen
29-Mar-2009, 09:35
Thanks Glenn, I kinda thought so as it is pretty tight tolerances in there - thank you
erik

Paul Fitzgerald
29-Mar-2009, 09:40
Just wipe them off with alcohol and assemble dry. Don't polish them to bright and shiny, the ultra precise fit is what lets it work well.

"Also, any recommendations as to a very light oil to use on shutters that I may be able to get locally (ace hardware, etc)"

Don't, most shutter parts are designed to run dry and oil will find all of the wrong places to flow into.

Erik Larsen
29-Mar-2009, 10:07
Thanks Paul, I find in my experience that you are correct about a dry shutter, however I have one particular synchro compur that works great when it is wet with alcohol but after a day or two it goes back to it's old behavior. I thought maybe a pin prick of some light oil on the gears might "do something" and not be enough to migrate into the blades.
thanks
erik

Peter K
29-Mar-2009, 10:29
Don't, most shutter parts are designed to run dry and oil will find all of the wrong places to flow into.
Shutter blades must be dry but dry bearings will destroy the shutter. In the service manuals for e. g. Compur shutters at least three different oils are specified for the different bearings in one shutter. As mentioned before a pin prick of some light oil is necessary.

Archphoto
29-Mar-2009, 10:50
On the retardment (the banana shaped "thing" that regulates your shutterspeeds) you can use synthetic oil made for clocks.
Dr Tillwich makes these oils, ask a local watch/clock maker.

Peter

Erik Larsen
29-Mar-2009, 11:07
thanks Peter, both of you:) I 'll try a watch repair place and see if they can give me a couple drops of oil
erik