PDA

View Full Version : Am I missing something here? Petzval auction

Jim Cole
28-Mar-2009, 16:51
Here is a no name Petzval lens bid up to over $800 US on the big auction site from a seller named cia_love_animal in Australia.

I am just learning about some of these antique lenses, but don't these usually go for waaay less than this?

Why is this one getting 4 to 5 times normal prices?

I'm confused!

CCHarrison
28-Mar-2009, 17:09
Jim

I think your instincts are correct - no reason this should sell this high... it doesnt even have a flange. I sold a very nice Petzval here last week for $ 205
http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&ssPageName=STRK:MESOX:IT&item=220378671967

And a sold a very nice CC Harrison 1/4 plate Petzval for $ 549, see http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&ssPageName=STRK:MESOX:IT&item=220379902238

possible bidding manipulation going on....?!@?!?@....one bidder has 75% activity with that seller...I dont know and I am not accusing - but take a look and judge for yourself...

The seller has done a good job on the ad...posting an image from the lens is a great idea when selling Petzvals...its all about the swirl and the 3d effect....

Dan

wfwhitaker
28-Mar-2009, 17:16
When you folks get it figured out, please explain this one to me:
http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=330314832250&ssPageName=ADME:L:EOISSA:US:1123.

I'm the seller of this one and I know this lens was worth more than the paltry $42.15 it brought - especially when another Petzval sold a just a few weeks before for $677!

I wouldn't doubt the idea of shill bidding with the seller the OP referenced. Of course, nothing can be proved, but that seller has been the subject of much discussion.

CCHarrison
28-Mar-2009, 17:38
Will, your lens is a magic lantern / stereopticon / projection lens with no flange, and questionable glass...I'd say $ 42 is in the park....sorry....

wfwhitaker
28-Mar-2009, 18:12
The $677 lens was a magic lantern lens, too, I believe.

CCHarrison
28-Mar-2009, 18:25
I venture to say the $ 677 lens was bid manipulated too.

goamules
28-Mar-2009, 18:43
There is a bell curve for Ohboy auctions. If you watch enough of them, you get a better sense of the real going rate. Sometimes a couple of newbies fight over a lens, and sells for higher than expected. But basically, what makes a petzval go for more are:
- complete with flange and hood
- larger focal lengths
- recognized "hot" maker
- actual photo lens vs magic lantern (though sometimes this gets reversed for a few auctions)
- accessories like waterhouse stops or lenscap
- excellent condition
etc....

Jim Cole
28-Mar-2009, 18:47
Interesting stuff here. Thanks for all the responses. Glad I'm not totally nuts.

Walter Calahan
28-Mar-2009, 19:38
"I'm confused!"

Join the club.

Jim Galli
28-Mar-2009, 20:15
The lens in question is an ordinary magic lantern petzval as pedestrian as they get. There is no waterhouse slot. No makers name. This is insanity.

Both front and rear glass like quiet lake.

Hello! Does this guy take consignments. Am I missing something indeed. There IS not a dimes worth of difference between Wills $42 lens and the one that will finish over $800 in an hour. OK, I need to go in the corner and bump my head against the wall slowly for a while.

wfwhitaker
28-Mar-2009, 20:51
Will, your lens is a magic lantern / stereopticon / projection lens with no flange, and questionable glass...I'd say $ 42 is in the park....sorry....

That does pretty much describe mine, but could just as well describe cia_love_animal's, too. Guess mine wasn't like "quiet lake", though...

Allen in Montreal
28-Mar-2009, 21:37
.......possible bidding manipulation going on....?!@?!?@....one bidder has 75% activity with that seller...I dont know and I am not accusing - but take a look and judge for yourself...

Dan

After that jewelry store in NYC got busted for having his staff bid up all his auctions and it made news all over the world just about, and E bay now hides the bidders names, I think this goes on a fair bit!

Neil Purling
28-Mar-2009, 23:22
I have found this auction.
It is a excessive amount for a no-name lens, if it is a projection Petzval.
Do projection Petzval's usually have a flap or rotating cap to protect the front of the lens?
I have a lens of about the same F.L. & speed, and i'm glad I paid far less because it was still attached to the lantern.

Pete Watkins
29-Mar-2009, 01:08
Neil,
I have what I believe to be a magic lantern lens with a flap in front of the lens. Not every lantern lens has this attatchment but I've seen a few lanterns for sale with this type of lens.
Best wishes,
Pete

Emil Schildt
29-Mar-2009, 04:03
There is a bell curve for Ohboy auctions. If you watch enough of them, you get a better sense of the real going rate. Sometimes a couple of newbies fight over a lens, and sells for higher than expected. But basically, what makes a petzval go for more are:
- complete with flange and hood
- larger focal lengths
- recognized "hot" maker
- actual photo lens vs magic lantern (though sometimes this gets reversed for a few auctions)
- accessories like waterhouse stops or lenscap
- excellent condition
etc....

I have been watching these auctions for a couple of years now, and I humbly disagree with one of your examples: the focal length.
In my experience short focal lenght's get higher prices than one would expect.. especially if combined with the "recognized "hot" maker"...

maybe because it can/has to be used on smaller cameras, and therefore makes it "easier" to get the swirly effects?

I have been looking for the smallest Dallmeyer portrait petzvals, and one ebay seller has sold surprisingly many of those. (I have no idea how he gets them in the first place..). the prizes always gets much higher than I can afford...

soeren
29-Mar-2009, 22:13
Maybe he makes them himself :)
Best regards

Steve Hamley
30-Mar-2009, 05:41
That does pretty much describe mine, but could just as well describe cia_love_animal's, too. Guess mine wasn't like "quiet lake", though...

Will, You should have had Dagor77 write your description for you!

Cheers, Steve

Archphoto
30-Mar-2009, 12:30
China perhaps ?

They like to copy everything.

Peter