PDA

View Full Version : Cezanne Colorgenius software

Tim Shawcross
28-Mar-2009, 15:37
Hi,

In my never ending search for a high end scanner I've come across a screen cezanne elite for a reasonable price. I'm waiting for the seller to confirm the version of colorgeniusEX software. In the meantime, does anyone know the following:

1. Do all versions of colorgeniusEX allow 16bit saves?
2. Is there a dongle for the software?

Thanks
Tim

Peter De Smidt
28-Mar-2009, 16:30
Kinda and no, respectively. I have version 1.4 or such. You can save 16 bit per channel color, but it limits you to 8-bit bw. To get around this, I simply scan bw as a 16 bit per channel color positive and choose the best channel in Photoshop.

Tim Shawcross
29-Mar-2009, 13:25
Thanks Peter.

Out of interest, if any of the Cezanne scanner owners out there had their scanners crated before delivery, do you remember roughly what size crate was used? Also, is removing the tail section of the scanner for shipping easy to do?

Thanks

Tim

bohngy
29-Mar-2009, 13:40
Hi Tim, I can offer a little advice, I bought a used Cezanne a fortnight ago, here in the UK.

The tail section comes off really easily, open the front panel and undo one thumbscrew (all the way out) then slide the tail towards you and up. The machine wont run without it installed, in case you think you could save space. I moved it with a friend, making sure BOTH locking plates are present and correct, and the little rubber piece that stops the scan bed from moving. Mine was missing so I made one from an old mouse-mat. It has 4 "useful" handles that pull out of the bottom of the scanner. Note that with the weight of the scanner, these handles will feel like they are about to cut your fingers off at any moment!

I'm running version 2.? on OSX and am pretty sure 16-bit is offered across the board (don't quote me on that though). The software is unlocked with a serial number (on the CD case) - no dongle needed.

if anyone would care to enlighten me on their workflow for this scanner I would be really interested. I'm after the highest quality scans, negs and trannies - regardless of the time it will take.

hope that helps a bit

Tim Shawcross
29-Mar-2009, 14:41
making sure BOTH locking plates are present and correct

Where is the second locking plate? Attached is a file I was sent by a screen tech.

I think this is the one that locks the optical unit. Do you only need to orientate this bracket correctly, or do you need to actually tell the scanner (through software or menu) to return the optical unit to the correct location for shipping? I'd assume that the optical unit just goes to the location where it can be locked when you switch the scanner off.

Tim Shawcross
29-Mar-2009, 20:09
Where is the second locking plate? Attached is a file I was sent by a screen tech.

I think this is the one that locks the optical unit. Do you only need to orientate this bracket correctly, or do you need to actually tell the scanner (through software or menu) to return the optical unit to the correct location for shipping? I'd assume that the optical unit just goes to the location where it can be locked when you switch the scanner off.

I just got a message from the seller which included a diagram of the shipping plates you mentioned - it seems that the Elite does have 2 plates (the attached shot was from the orginal Cezanne (non elite) manual - must have only had one plate before the elite came out)

Tim

Peter De Smidt
29-Mar-2009, 21:14
Yep, only one plate on my Cezanne (non-elite).

bohngy
30-Mar-2009, 11:55
oops! sorry if I misled anyone... I made the schoolboy error of assuming things would be identical....

Tim Shawcross
30-Mar-2009, 23:54
Thanks for the replies so far. The seller says the version of software they have is 'ColorGenius EX for FT-S5500 Version 2.0.1 Client/Server package' At first I thought this was fine - but know I'm wondering about the 'client/server' bit. I noticed that the ColorgeniusEX server is listed as an optional extra in the Elite brochure (where as plain colorgeniusEX is standard). Does anyone know if this client/server package will actually be the software to run the scanner or is it just software to enable the scanner to be run on more than one machine (whilst still requiring the original EX software)?

Peter De Smidt
31-Mar-2009, 00:15
That is the software to run the scanner. There are two basic setups. One is to install the "server" element on a separate computer, and the other is to install both the server and scan setup program on the same computer. Both were on my ColorGenius setup disc.

If you go to the dainippon screen japan site, you will be able to download later versions of 2.x, as well as later firmware. It's a scsi scanner, and so I'm not sure exactly what version of OS 10 you'll have to use. On my version 1.x, I have to run OS 9.

Tim Shawcross
31-Mar-2009, 17:41
Peter thanks for that. Well I have now committed to the buy and I expect that scanner will arrive in a week or so. I've organised for it to be professional crated and the seller is going to prepare it for shipping by installing the brackets in the locking position.

So now the search for a suitable Mac begins. I'd be keen to know what setup you're running (or what anyone else is running). I don't want to spend much on a Mac so I was thinking of getting a low spec G4 and running an older version of OSX (I'll first have to figure out what version of OSX I can run with the scanner/software combo).

I'll also need a SCSI card. I've seen the Adaptec 2906 mentioned here before but not sure to what version of OSX that is compatible (adaptec site mentions OSX 10.1 and OSX 10.1 server and later - not clear if the 'later' applies to only the server package).

I notice that screen recommend the Adaptec 29160N, however according to the Adaptec website this is not supported by Macs. I seem to remember something about screen supplying drivers for it to run with macs? Maybe this only works with the latest OSX version though? I don't really know anything about macs, can a G4 run the latest version of OSX?

Both the computer and SCSI combo should cost more than a couple of hundred dollars from what I can tell, but I want to make sure I get the right hardware to run the scanner!

Tim

Peter De Smidt
31-Mar-2009, 17:50
Hi Tim,

I use an old g4 in os 9. (The upgrade to CG 2.x which would allow OS10 operation is $1000. Yikes!) Upgrading memory to the max really helped with speed. I'm off tomorrow, and I need to do some scanning, so I'll get some more info.

Make sure to check out: http://www.screen.co.jp/ga_dtp/en/download/
The release notes often have info as to which components/OS the update will work with.

Tim Shawcross
14-Apr-2009, 01:06
Scanner arrived today. It's currently lampooned in it's shipping crate in the garage until I can get a couple of people over to move it!

I have had a chance to hook it up whilst still on the shipping pallet - after a couple of minutes of whirring and buzzing it gives me two green lights so that is positive. I don't have a G4 and SCSI card yet (hope to have it by the end of next week) so I can actually confirm it all works.

In the mean time, I have a couple of questions about the glass trays I got. Attached are some pictures (this might also help anyone else who's looking to buy a cezanne as I have not managed to track down any pictures on the web of what the standard accessories look like.).

My scanner came with two trays - one I think is the regular Anti Newton glass, the second I'm not sure what it is but think it might be a glass tray for line art? (it's the glass in the foam and bubble wrap). The two pieces of plastic with the handles - I assume they're retaining plates? I've also included a picture of the scanning bed cover for anyones reference.

I also have a mystery part I'll attached pictures in the next post. It wasn't attached to the scanner and I have no idea what it is or where if goes. Any ideas?

Finally, of the most concern for me is I'm not sure my scanner has got a calibration strip. I remember reading somewhere there was a white strip installed on the left hand side of the scanning bed. Has anyone got a picture of this? I have two empty slots on the left side of the bed and I think perhaps one of them should have a calibration strip in there.

Tim Shawcross
14-Apr-2009, 01:14
Mystery part?

Incidentally - in case people are wondering the scanner did not come with a manual. I will contact screen to see if I can get one... it will depend on how expensive it will be. Last picture is of the scanning bed protective cover - just in case anyone is interested.

Peter De Smidt
14-Apr-2009, 02:32
In your last post (#14) The first two pictures are of the calibration strip. Be very careful with that! In your earlier post (#13), the first picture is of the standard bed. It's a 6mm thick piece of what looks like acrylic with a very fine anti-newton texture on it. The third pic looks like a hold down plate, which also should have an anti-newton texture. So you put your negative on the main tray, picture 1, and then you place the hold-down tray,picture 3, on top of the negative to hold it flat. I can't tell exactly what the 2nd and 4th pictures are of in post #13.

Tim Shawcross
14-Apr-2009, 03:01
Peter - thanks

Picture 2 in post #13 is basically the same material as picture 3, only the one in 2 is big enough for the entire bed whereas the one in 3 is only about a 1/3 of the bed. Picture 4 is the same size as the standard bed - but it looks more like clear glass than the anti newton stuff. I think it's probably the line art glass tray that was an optional accessory - not much use to me.

Does the manual mention anyway to clean the calibration strip? It has quite a few marks/scuffs on it - I can't imagine it will provide an accurate calibration. I might contact screen and see if there are replacement white strips available. I'd assume that just the white stripe can be replaced rather than the whole metal unit needing to be replaced.

Tim

Peter De Smidt
14-Apr-2009, 04:12
Hi Tim, I'll look tonight in the manual, but my guess is that it would be best to buy a new one. Make sure that you're sitting down when you ask the prices. I wanted to replace my standard bed. $1200. Software upgrade from Version 1 to 2. $1000. Well, you get the idea.

bohngy
17-Apr-2009, 10:07
Hi Tim, I dug out my Cezanne instruction manual for you. The white reference strip is errr... seemingly for errr... white reference? Being more serious, I wonder if it's so important to have it squeaky clean, if scanning transparencies?
Anyway, it reads:
"Never touch the white film surface for it is very delicate and easy to make dirty. If the white film becomes dirty, then the output quality will be adversely affected."

Sadly there's nothing about cleaning it! If you are considering a new one, I would almost certainly giving cleaning a go. Maybe you'll get lucky and save yourself a packet.

Knowing how these scanner manufacturers love to rip off their captive customers for spares, I'm sure you'll only be able to buy a complete white strip assembly.

Sorry I can't be more help.

Tim Shawcross
26-Apr-2009, 01:58
Update -

G4 and SCSI have arrived. Scanner up and running! Initial scans look really good, but unfortunately I'm getting a low lamp intensity warning. Guess I'll need to put down a couple of hundred for a new lamp (at least there's only one in the elite!). Still, at least with a brand new lamp I'll know I'm getting the most out of the scanner.

Looks like I'll need to make some masks for my film. On some trans I'm getting a bit of flare - always at the edge of the film and most notable when the areas at the edges are dark shadows. Peter, I seem to remember you wet mount - does this prevent this sort of flare?

I've found the colorgenius software OK to use, but I wish it gave you a histogram and an easy way to set end points. I'm a bit confused about the how the HD and SD work in the manual fine adjustment tab. Setting 0.00 seems logical for HD, but for SD it will allow a maximum value of 6.94 (I would've thought 4ish would be the max?) What I'm also confused about is how the RGB values in the next column relate to these settings. If I understand correctly, the scanner will take whatever it sees in the density range and then compress that info into the values specified in the RGB columns (which by default seems to be be around 24,24,24 and 240,240,240) I've been resetting these to 0,0,0 and 255,255,255 - I'm not sure if there is any benefit to doing this. If I want to get a 'Raw' scan, and suggestions what value should I set? I know you guys have discussed this a bit - did you draw any conclusions?

I've done one quick scan of a color neg - I notice that you lose all control of HD and SD in this mode? Still the scan came out pretty good with minimal fuss.

Finally, I've done some experiments in scanning 4x5 in two passes at 3200 and combining in photoshop using photomerge. Asides from the added time of scanning and photoshop processing, it was easy and the resulting file is big enough for a 40x50 print and probably has close to all of the useable info you're going to get from the film.

I'm waiting to see how much SDK will charge for shipping some wet mounting supplies to New Zealand (Aztek wont ship here, and I've had great trouble finding anyone who distributes these kind of supplies here) I'd like to experiment with wet mounting to see what difference it makes (if any on a flatbed)

Tim

Peter De Smidt
26-Apr-2009, 07:13
Hi Tim,

No, wet-mounting doesn't get rid of the flare. Masks are a good idea.

When I built my icc files using Wolf Faust's targets, I set my HD density at 0, the SD density at 4, and the next two value at 0 and 255. The latter values are for prepress work where you don't want values below, say, 15, or above 245. All they do is compress the output range.

With grayscale scanning, which I do as a positive as CG1.x only allows 8-bit grayscale scans, I've been experimenting with a Stouffer step wedge and changing the SD level such that the scan endpoints are closer to the information endpoints on the negative. I should have some time this week to revisit this, and I'll post my results.

Tim Shawcross
27-Apr-2009, 00:46
Thanks Peter. When you wet mount, how do you use masks? Do you go glass, (mounting fluid), negative, (mounting fluid), overlay and then tape a mask on top of the overlay? Or do you place the mask in the sandwich between the glass and the overlay - I would think that would make using fluid more difficult

Peter De Smidt
27-Apr-2009, 05:49
Hi Tim,

The first way.

I built a custom scanning bed, mainly because my original scanning bed is fairly marked up. My custom bed has a smaller scanning area than the regular bed, consisting of a piece of optical glass in the center of a well-sealed MDF holder. Originally, I designed it so that I would mount the negative underneath the glass, such that only the scanning mylar would be between the emulsion and the lens, but testing showed that there was no discernible difference with mounting on top of the glass, which is easier.

With this scanner, though, I don't see all that much difference wet-mounting, just as Sandy King doesn't see much difference with his Creo Eversmart scanner. I have to do it, though, or I'll get Newton's rings on the optical glass. If the anti-newton surface of the standard scanning tray of your scanner is clean enough, I'd make some pretty careful tests to make sure that wet-scanning is beneficial.

Cesar Barreto
27-Apr-2009, 08:40
Tim,

I also have an old Cezanne and I opted to adapt a large piece (don't remember the size) of 2mm AN glass in place of the original one. As a side benefit, flare is reduced somewhat.
But I'm still struggling with software issues and the lack of 16bit files for B&W work.

Peter De Smidt
28-Apr-2009, 14:43
To get 16 bit files with Colorgenius 1.x, scan the image as a 16-bit per channel positive. In Photoshop, invert the file and pick the best channel. Usually, it'll be the green channel. Discard the other channels.

Peter De Smidt
28-Apr-2009, 14:46
Cesar, what are you replacing with the 2mm AN glass, the standard scanning bed, i.e. what the negative is laid down one, or the AN cover sheet, which goes over the top of the negative? The standard bed is a 6mm thick piece of what looks like acrylic with a very, very fine texture. Finer, in my experience, than anti-Newton glass sold for enlargers.

Cesar Barreto
28-Apr-2009, 19:45
Peter, I did replace the scanning bed because it was in such a bad shape and it would be near impossible to get a new one here in Brazil. Not at an affordable price, I mean. I know it isn't the best solution, but it came from the some source where I ordered Nikon 9000 scanner's glasses, so if it works this way, why not the other.

My software version won't allow me to save 16bit files on either way, although it says the processing is done on high bit level, so it's feasible to work around adding two or more scans targeting shadows or highlights, but... life should be easier, shouldn't it?

Peter De Smidt
28-Apr-2009, 20:16
Cesar, what version of Colorgenius are you using?

Regarding the AN glass, if it works, use it! I replaced my scanner bed with optical glass, but as a result I have to wet mount to avoid Newton's rings.

Regarding the scanner bed, I don't think it's affordable anyplace. Screen USA wants $1200.

Cesar Barreto
30-Apr-2009, 05:27
Peter, I can't say right now wich version I've installed, but I'm sure it's pretty old and just run on OS9 or older machines.
Now I'm working on an expositin which opens next week and haven't much time to think about it, but soon I hope to find some help from people who works on bureaus or graphic industry. And I know there's plenty of scanners being sold even here where I live. So, it's just a matter of time. I hope!

Peter De Smidt
30-Apr-2009, 09:04
Hi Cesar,

I'm using ColorGenius 1.4. If you have version one, like me, you can download the updates to 1.4 . I have to run mine on an old G4 with OS9, and I'm able to do 16-bit per channel saves in color. Hopefully there's just a buried setting that you need to change.

Cesar Barreto
1-May-2009, 17:40
Hi Peter,

Today, after a long time, I've been scanning some b&w negatives and just then I did remember that my software actually is the Colorscope, version 1.2.3., wich I know nothing about.
I checked Screen Usa download page but couldn't find anything useful and I suppose finding a copy of Colorgenius could make my life easier. I'll look for that later, when I have some free time to spare.
Anyway, thanks for your attention.

Willem
12-Jun-2010, 13:58
Kinda and no, respectively. I have version 1.4 or such.

I just acquired a Screen Cezanne, which came with CG 1. But it's 1.0.4, and I see nothing beyond that except for 2.x) on the website. Was 1.4 a typo?

Haven't got it up and running because it needs to be carried upstairs first—which includes the rather heavy Barco monitor!

But I did notice they omitted the disk for CG. It's on the computer, and I've got all the heavy manuals and the box for Colorgenius, just not the disk (and the license number). Nothing dodgy, it's a machine that was serviced and has been well maintained. Guess they lost that disk. Hope the license no. is visible on OS9.

The current version seems to be something else, though. At http://www.screenusa.com/products.cfm/colorgenius_dc I do not read about scanning at all.

Peter De Smidt
14-Jun-2010, 18:37
I just acquired a Screen Cezanne, which came with CG 1. But it's 1.0.4, and I see nothing beyond that except for 2.x) on the website. Was 1.4 a typo?

Yep, sorry. It should've been "1.0.4"

Willem
23-Jun-2010, 17:00
Yep, sorry. It should've been "1.0.4"

I wonder whether 1.0.4 would run under Sheepshaver, the emulation of OS9 under OSX. Are there any users who tried this?

I will be in touch with Screen Europe this week to enquire about an upgrade, but I'm not having my hopes too high.

One question: I did not receive any masks for 645 film. Did any exist for the Screen Cezanne?
Why use masks btw? What about putting the film strips up there without any mask? (Yes, I admit I'm a novice :cool: .)

Peter De Smidt
23-Jun-2010, 19:30
Using masks cuts off stray light from getting in the lens/sensor area. Stray light can cause a loss of contrast, just like in a camera. It can also cause blooming along the edges of the image. In my experience, it's important with a Cezanne to mask the negative well. Anything opaque will work.

Sorry, I don't know about the Mac OS questions.

Willem
24-Jun-2010, 13:45
Thanks, I'll make those masks! And I'll try the alternative software set-up, if only to guarantee life beyond the G4 and free up space from my overcrowded study (the Barco monitor is about as heavy as the Cezanne, and this 1998 monitor is bulky too!). I do need to find out whether the Apple Cinema Display (23") is accurate enough, but I expect it is.

There were some settings in the software for different films, though none matchng my films. I tried a few, and the results were hugely different. Are there any standard setings for certain films, like Portra 160VC, Velvia 100F Pro, XP2, Across 100, Pan 100? Even if in certain situations one would like to adapt the settings, that is easier when starting from a standard profile. Are such settings known, or can we exchange data?

Peter De Smidt
25-Jun-2010, 00:16
Well, with slides my preferred way is to make an icc file with a reference slide. You then use the same settings for all pictures you take on that film. Some difficulties with this is that making a good icc profile is non-trivial. It's very easy, for instance, to lose some shadow detail. I rarely scan slides, and I lost the profiles I had made to a computer crash about a year ago. Thus, I don't have an profiles available at the moment, and I don't plan on making any new ones until this fall. When I do, I'd be happy to make them available. Someone else might have some on hand, though.

With C41, there have been some threads on this forum as to various ways to do that. You might give them a read. (I'd probably go with photographing a MacBeth color checker chart, with a special hood around the black square, on the film in question. You could then make a pseudo icc profile, or you could make adjustments either in Color Genius or in PS.)

I have suggested settings for scanning bw film on my blog. If you want a higher contrast scan, you might experiment with something like a Stouffer step wedge.

Bob McCarthy
25-Jun-2010, 06:14
Using masks cuts off stray light from getting in the lens/sensor area. Stray light can cause a loss of contrast, just like in a camera. It can also cause blooming along the edges of the image. In my experience, it's important with a Cezanne to mask the negative well. Anything opaque will work.

Sorry, I don't know about the Mac OS questions.

Peter, I wonder if your lenses are dirty, I don't see much flare/blooming on my Cezanne.

File looks pretty much the same if I mask or not.

I have adjusted my film development so I rarely need to exceed D2.5 to 2.8 with my negatives (B&W).

I don't know if it makes a difference, but I do mask small formats ie. 35mm and 6x7.

Larger formats, primarily 8x10, I do not. I'm scanning small film at 4000 dpi or greater.

Larger formats, never above 2000 dpi.

bob

Peter De Smidt
25-Jun-2010, 20:48
Hi Bob,

That's possible. I haven't opened it up to take a look. Given the good instructions posted earlier on how to do so, I'll have to check it out before I get back to scanning.

Willem
26-Jun-2010, 12:41
I've had a go at more scanning now, and blimey, I scanned some 35mm film which I had previously scanned with the 4490. The difference is beyond words. The 4490 scans were just about acceptable at my screen (but really not), whereas the Cezanne's can be enlarged and enlarged and still give more detail. Much better in shades too.

All very predictable, obviously, but still a thing to marvel at.

As said, I do not have the full manual, so I need to find out many things by trial and error. Such as the relation between resolution and magnification.

I understand Screen also had their own version of ICE called Dusta La Vista. No mention here at the forum though. When I call them—received a new contact address—I'll ask about it.
Had no chance to test the OS9 alternative because I cannot locate my old installation disks (I should have everything between 7.6.1 and 10.6 but Sheepshaver requires 9.0 as the maximum, and of course I can only find 9.2).

Peter De Smidt
26-Jun-2010, 14:30
Ice really only works well when it's hardware supported. In other words, the scanner has to support an infrared channel. Slides are transparent to IR but dust is not. (The silver grains in a BW negative do block IR to some extent, and that's why hardware ICE doesn't work well with them.) I don't believe that the Cezanne supports an IR channel, and hence I don't have high hopes for Dusta La Vista, but I'd love to be wrong.

I recommend leaving magnification at 100%. When you do that the resolution you get will be the number you enter in the "Reso:" box.

Willem
29-Jun-2010, 03:30
Perhaps the ICE only works with the Elite?

In passing, I found interesting comments on the Cezanne's built-in corrections, which apparently make any reversal film scan problematic. Because some artificial intelligence (what AI stands for, I assume) kicks in. Here's a reference to a maillist addressing the issue:

http://lists.apple.com/archives/colorsync-users/2005/May/msg00237.html

It recommends masking reversal film in particular. I personally find it hard to keep several negatives straight on the bed with the masks provided.

Bob McCarthy
29-Jun-2010, 04:11
What this post calls AI is the scanners "auto" exposure setting, all scanning software have this feature. What he is saying to do is optimize the first slide and use this settings for an entire roll/batch. Note the poster is working in 35mm.

This is a big scanner with lots of light bouncing potentially around. I would concur in masking smaller formats scanned at high dpi's.

A sheet of 8x10 B&W does not seem to be as susceptible.

Use small bits of "blue" 3M tape (for antiques I believe is the designation) to stabilite the film from sliding around.

bob

Bob McCarthy
29-Jun-2010, 07:24
I found this description for the blue tape, maybe this helps.

3M Low Tack Artist Tape

Willem
30-Jun-2010, 08:15
Thanks, I'll resource that. It's a simple but very good idea.

I had a power interruption yesterday, which lasted long enough to close down both computers, including the one which ran the Cezanne. Since then, ColorGenius Server refuses to start up, because the "scanner is in use by another application".

1. I detached the SCSCI-cable and restarted the Mac, then shut it down, reattached the cable, but that did not help.
2. Trashing the preferences for ColorGenius Server did not work either.
3. Starting the Maintainer gave the error that the scanner is busy.

I now have a PDF of the manual for ColorGenius, but this problem is not covered. I suspect it is Mac-related, but my OS9 experience is too limited. Any suggestions?

Bob McCarthy
30-Jun-2010, 08:40
I have a big gap in my Mac education too. I left Mac in 97 (OS7??) and returned with the intel mac in 07 (OSX).

I am challenged also.

Luckly mine came set up properly and has not missed a beat.

You are starting CG server first and then (and only then) CG app??

Multiple copies of CG competing, or CG in startup list are my first thoughts.

Sorry,

bob

Willem
1-Jul-2010, 05:54
Thanks for the suggestions. I tried rebuilding the desktop, no help. But it works again after the following:

1. I put FT-Maintainer in the start-up items
2. The Mac crashed when I was copying software from it.

Not sure whether 1) is the answer, or that the crash 2) cleared its memory, so I will be searching for an answer in case it happens again. Meanwhile, glad that it works. Do you have the installation disks? I only have a license, which is inconvenient if I ever have to reinstall the software.

Peter De Smidt
1-Jul-2010, 07:28
You might want to make a clone of the hard drive. That way, if something happens to the first one, you simply remove it, and replace it with the cloned drive. No software reinstall required.

Willem
4-Jul-2010, 19:00
Have to find out how to do that. I once tried with OSX and failed! But you are absolutely right.

Willem
4-Jan-2011, 10:28
I finally managed to share my Cinema HD Display between a Powermac G4 and a MacPro, so that I can run the scanner from the same screen as my usual computer. Before that I had an unwieldy 1998 Barco monitor.

Having scanned transparencies, I've now tried my hand at B&W. I remember Peter's recommendation to scan in 16bits color, which I did, and then select the green channel in Photoshop. But on my Powermac, Photoshop 6 only exports to, well, photoshop formats :confused: . How do I get another picture format out of this, preferably one read by Aperture or Capture1?

Peter De Smidt
4-Jan-2011, 11:05
The scanner software should output a 16 bit-per-channel tiff. In photoshop, use the channel mixer to specify monochrome output using 100% green channel, and zero red and blue. Now change the mode to grayscale. You should be able to save this file as a 16 bit tiff.

Willem
6-Jan-2011, 00:35
Yes that worked (after downloading a trial version of Photoshop for OSX, my OS9 copy on the Powermac is slow). Thanks! :)

Peter De Smidt
14-Jan-2011, 22:09
I've been doing quite a bit of scanning lately. With 35mm film, I've found that scanning at 6000 dpi gives by far the finest grain of any setting that I've tried, especially with grainy film. I tried 3000, 4000, 5000, and 6000. It wasn't even close.

Bob McCarthy
14-Jan-2011, 22:22
Why do you think that is? I thought the Cezanne runs out of gas at 5400 dpi give or take. I never cranked mine that hard. I do have a backlog of 35mm to do, I'll give it a try.

I have scanned at 4000 dpi, only because that what I did with my Nikon 5000 scanner.

Bob

Peter De Smidt
15-Jan-2011, 09:04
If I remember correctly, the Cezanne topped out at about 5700 dpi in the Seybold report, but that was the limit of their test slide. In any case, it probably has to do with grain aliasing. I doubt that there is any subject detail gained, but there definitely is image structure gain. I didn't test any intermediate dpi.s. In any case the scans from small film at 6000 dpi aren't that big.

Bob McCarthy
15-Jan-2011, 10:28
Thanks, I'll give it a try between football games this weekend.

6000 here I come.

B

BennehBoy
15-Jan-2011, 11:37
This is probably a stupid question, but would a scanner like the elite work with VueScan on windows via a USB to SCSI converter, or is the power of the scanner in the software?

Peter De Smidt
15-Jan-2011, 12:17
This is probably a stupid question, but would a scanner like the elite work with VueScan on windows via a USB to SCSI converter, or is the power of the scanner in the software?

I asked Ed Hamrick about it once, and he said "no."

IMO Colorgenius V2 is better than Vuescan in any case. It's much easier to very finely tweak the various channels in CG.

Willem
15-Jan-2011, 12:34
Vuescan and Silverfast do not support Screen scanners. They do not have one, which is part of the reason.

I have just scanned 120 film (6x4,5) at 5000 the last few days. Incredibly happy with the results, although the files are bulky at 330Mb.

Still learning, in part because I've only just been able to set up my Powermac G4 via a dvi switcher to the Apple Cinema HD display I have on my MacPro. This makes for an easier set-up (one monitor), and the Powermac is connected to the MacPro via ethernet.

Peter De Smidt
15-Jan-2011, 13:51
Willem, you might try scanning the 120 film in two strips at that resolution and combining and seeing if there's any quality increase. With a 120 film, a Cezanne should be able to pull about 3600-4000 dpi. I haven't tried this myself, as I haven't gotten to my 120 scanning yet.

Bob McCarthy
16-Jan-2011, 16:03
If I remember correctly, the Cezanne topped out at about 5700 dpi in the Seybold report, but that was the limit of their test slide. In any case, it probably has to do with grain aliasing. I doubt that there is any subject detail gained, but there definitely is image structure gain. I didn't test any intermediate dpi.s. In any case the scans from small film at 6000 dpi aren't that big.

Tried 6000 dpi this morning. I can support this finding, that this setting creates very smooth scans. I don't know if there is a substantial bump in resolution over 4000dpi, but it sure made some of my lenses look like crap. CA was especially well resolved (g).

bob

Peter De Smidt
16-Jan-2011, 17:21
Interesting, Bob. Thanks for reporting back!

Bob McCarthy
17-Jan-2011, 07:38
Peter, I'm curious, what are the differences in V2 over V1.

I'm still running 1.0 and I'm very pleased with it. Sure miss decent histograms etc though?

Bob

Peter De Smidt
17-Jan-2011, 08:18
Working in OS10 is nice, especially since this allows me to use a USB 2 add on card. I transfer files using a small external hard drive, and when I scanned in OS9, I had to reboot to transfer files. Eventually, I'll pick up a G5 to use as my scanning computer.

There's no histogram that I'm aware of, but there is a pop-up that allows you to have readings from quite a few places on the film. (I don't remember if V1 had this.) With BW, I use eye droppers to find the darkest and lightest image areas, and perhaps a few others, and then I adjust the settings until the readouts at the places marked give values that I want. It is complicated a bit by my scanning negatives as positives, which is required to get 16 bit per channel output, but that's something that one becomes used to fairly quickly.

Peter York
17-Jan-2011, 08:54
V2 has no histogram (that I am aware of). In my opinion this is a big PITA, but I agree with Peter that the software does allow a great deal of control over individual channels. Its just that uncovering the information to tweak those channels is time-consuming.

I have a 35mm slide that I scanned at 5000 DPI, and in comparison to a scan from a Nikon Coolscan5000, the sky exhibits less grain. I'll rescan the slide at 4000 and 6000 soon to add one more observation.

Have any of you had banding problems with color negatives? I often, though not always, get banding (120 and 4x5), and I am trying to figure out if it is my technique, the scanner, or maybe even the film processing. The banding appears in light areas of the negative, most often as a consistent, repeated pattern (they look like roller marks). Any suggestions for ways to diagnose and treat this?

Peter De Smidt
17-Jan-2011, 09:32
Hi Peter,

I've only scanned a couple of color negatives, and I haven't noticed the problem, but they were fairly low quality negs. A while ago a scanner tech posted a series of pictures on how to clean the interior of a Cezanne. Perhaps this would help? If you have trouble finding the series of pictures, let me know, and I'll hunt them down.

Peter York
17-Jan-2011, 10:12
Thanks Peter! I have the pictures on the computer somewhere and I will clean out the scanner in the future.

Bob McCarthy
17-Jan-2011, 10:12
Have you checked that your calibration strip is spotless. If you're not aware how to do that let me know. Usually dirty calibration strip results in gross banding though.

Worth a try.

Bob

V2 has no histogram (that I am aware of). In my opinion this is a big PITA, but I agree with Peter that the software does allow a great deal of control over individual channels. Its just that uncovering the information to tweak those channels is time-consuming.

I have a 35mm slide that I scanned at 5000 DPI, and in comparison to a scan from a Nikon Coolscan5000, the sky exhibits less grain. I'll rescan the slide at 4000 and 6000 soon to add one more observation.

Have any of you had banding problems with color negatives? I often, though not always, get banding (120 and 4x5), and I am trying to figure out if it is my technique, the scanner, or maybe even the film processing. The banding appears in light areas of the negative, most often as a consistent, repeated pattern (they look like roller marks). Any suggestions for ways to diagnose and treat this?

Peter De Smidt
17-Jan-2011, 10:34
Bob's makes a good point. Be very careful with the calibration strip, though. I seem to remember seeing somewhere in the manual to never use cleaning fluids on it.

Peter York
17-Jan-2011, 13:34
I recall examining my calibration strip when I purchased the scanner and it was a bit dingy in areas. I left it alone due to fear of damaging it. Any recommendations on how to clean this?

federico9001
17-Jan-2011, 13:37
Hello "bohngy",

I'd like to ask you some things about the Cezanne.
Might you give me your email address, please?

Thank you very much
Bye
Mark

Bob McCarthy
17-Jan-2011, 14:26
Just checked my user manual. It says avoid ammonia based cleaners.

I don't think I would be afraid of Windex w/o ammonia, if it were mine and was dirty and dingy.

They can be replaced, Screen can provide replacements. It really handicaps your Cezanne as it is a critical part of the imaging process.

Bob

I recall examining my calibration strip when I purchased the scanner and it was a bit dingy in areas. I left it alone due to fear of damaging it. Any recommendations on how to clean this?

Peter De Smidt
17-Jan-2011, 15:52
You'd probably want to use a new scanner wipe, I have the Prazio brand, or a new micro fiber cloth.

Pierre Verhoeven
27-May-2011, 01:13
Hi,

I have just bought a Cezanne scanner and need some help to get it started up.

I have a G4 which I use for scanning with a Flextight 343
It's got a adaptec 2906 scsi card with a 25 pin connector (on the computers side).
However, the scanner came with a scsi cable with 50 pin connector (SCSI-2 ?)
In the mean time I bought a Adaptec 2930U card with the right connector, but I can't find a driver for it. Or could it be that the driver is in the CROMs on the board?

Or can I use the cable from the flextight (with the 25-pin connector) to connect the scanner?

Thanks for any feedback of how your system is set up

Pierre

Pierre Verhoeven
27-May-2011, 01:33
Hi,

I have just bought a Cezanne scanner and need some help to get it started up.

I have a G4 which I use for scanning with a Flextight 343
It's got a adaptec 2906 scsi card with a 25 pin connector (on the computers side).
However, the scanner came with a scsi cable with 50 pin connector (SCSI-2 ?)
In the mean time I bought a Adaptec 2930U card with the right connector, but I can't find a driver for it. Or could it be that the driver is in the CROMs on the board?

Or can I use the cable from the flextight (with the 25-pin connector) to connect the scanner?

Thanks for any feedback on how your system is set up

Pierre

Willem
27-May-2011, 01:53
Have you tried it without the driver? Adaptec says it only lists drivers for the systems that are not already supported, which the Mac at that time probably was.
I'm not sure how picky the scanner is in this regard, however. It could be useful to create some shared info on what does and what does not work.

Peter De Smidt
27-May-2011, 11:20
I'm not a scsi expert, but I think you'll need the specific connection. I.e., I don't think the 25-pin cable will work.

I think that was a standard apple part. As such, the driver _might_ be included in the operating system. A quick search only brought up Windows drivers.

Pierre Verhoeven
27-May-2011, 14:08
Hello again,

thanks for the answers.

I installed the 2930CU card and powered up the scanner.
After a while, I got the power and home leds lighting up green and the other two were out so that's good.
But then I tried to install the Colorgenius sotware and here the Mac gave an error message.
It said that the "Classic" application was not found (or something of the likes)
I understand this is because I have a Colorgenius version 1.0.3 ( I have an update to 1.0.4 too) but the OS is X10.2.8
So I need a Colorgenius version 2.x.x I guess.

I've seen some messages treating this issue, but I don't really find a solution.
(Sheepshaver? Buy another Mac running under OS9 ?....)

Any advice would be welcome.
Thanks ,
Pierre

Peter De Smidt
27-May-2011, 14:41
Right, CGI needs OS9. Can you dual boot?

judet
7-Oct-2012, 03:43
Would anyone have an installation file for DustaLaVista that they would be willing to share? It can be created from an installation disk using Disk Utility on the Mac.

I have a Cezanne Elite but unfortunately I am missing this program that would really help for scanning film.

thanks

Jude

kshaub103
28-Aug-2017, 08:26
Hi I picked up a Cezanne s5000 and I'm in need of a copy of color genius. I have the updates provide by screen but no installation file for the program If anyone would has a copy of this software please let me know. Thanks

judet
30-Aug-2017, 00:03
Hi Tim, I have it for Mac OS. If you can use that version please let me know if I can email it to you as a compressed file. Regards Jude

TC542
2-Oct-2017, 11:30
Hi All . . .
I have been watching a few of the threads lately and would like to try and help with some issues relating to the FT-S5000 & FT-S5500 . . Relating to MacOS versions, SCSI cards and Driver versions. . . . (Minefield . . . !!!)
I used to teach engineers how to service these machines . . .and when SCREEN decided to stop manufacturing . .and hence stop training engineers . . I bought an FT-S5500 for myself.
I have all the optional trays and holders that were available . . . :-) (I might be willing to sell everything if the right offer was forwarded . . . ;-)

I would like to post a couple of documents that highlight the main issues relating to the selection of SCSI cards wrt to MacOS and ColorGenius S/W versions.
(No doubt many of you will have been caught out with this issue . . . !!)
How do I attach/upload/link files for you to download?

Let me know by reply . . .
BR, TC542

Peter De Smidt
2-Oct-2017, 12:50
Perhaps load the file to dropbox, and then post a link in the thread?

TC542
3-Oct-2017, 00:37
Hi All . . .
Cheers Peter . . .Have created a link to a folder with a couple of PDF's that may be useful . . .
https://www.dropbox.com/sh/m8g8g3r2u36kpg5/AABYCzdDj5f8oE4yOXJNm4X8a?dl=0

Please be careful about upgrading drivers for the Cezanne and SCSI cards . . If not done in the correct order you may need an older MacOS9 unit to upgrade the Cezanne Driver!!

(I added a reference to the 'RATOC FR1SX' adapter . . It may not be available any more, but may be of use to someone . . . ;-)

Hope this is off use to someone . . .

PS Did see that someone wanted 'Dusta la Vista' S/W some time ago . . .No good without a 'dongle' . . . !!

coisasdavida
3-Oct-2017, 03:56
TC542: thank you very much!

Peter De Smidt
3-Oct-2017, 05:32
That's terrific, TC542. Thanks!

Corran
3-Oct-2017, 07:48
Thanks for putting together this info! If I am reading this correctly, there's only two SCSI cards that work with the Cezanne on G4 or G5 computers? I did not realize it was so limited! I am still looking for another 29160N, I have a 29160 64-bit card that does not work.

nmauro32
9-Dec-2018, 17:38
Hi All . . .
I have been watching a few of the threads lately and would like to try and help with some issues relating to the FT-S5000 & FT-S5500 . . Relating to MacOS versions, SCSI cards and Driver versions. . . . (Minefield . . . !!!)
I used to teach engineers how to service these machines . . .and when SCREEN decided to stop manufacturing . .and hence stop training engineers . . I bought an FT-S5500 for myself.
I have all the optional trays and holders that were available . . . :-) (I might be willing to sell everything if the right offer was forwarded . . . ;-)

I would like to post a couple of documents that highlight the main issues relating to the selection of SCSI cards wrt to MacOS and ColorGenius S/W versions.
(No doubt many of you will have been caught out with this issue . . . !!)
How do I attach/upload/link files for you to download?

Let me know by reply . . .
BR, TC542

Hi. I need some help with my screen cezanne fts 5000.

nmauro32
9-Dec-2018, 17:45
I have the Screen Cezanne fts 5000 and an apple G4 with 9.2 os plus adptec 2906 scsi card. I try to use the scanner but receive an error message in the maintainer:'' LoadDriver:Error occurred. No. -2821 unknown error'' .... Any ideas. The scanner stays on stand by mode after swith on and looks ready to scan since the two green led lights stay on.

Corran
9-Dec-2018, 17:54
The pdf TC542 posted, describing which SCSI cards work with the Cezanne, seems to have disappeared from DropBox. I will have to look in my files to see if I saved it - but if not, did anyone save it and have it readily available? Peter?

If so, I would be happy if someone could forward it to me, and then I will put it up on my website so as to keep it hosted somewhere.

nmauro32, I am not sure what your issue might be. I can not remember the two "recommended" and possibly required SCSI cards described in the pdf file mentioned above.

Peter De Smidt
9-Dec-2018, 18:02
I don't think I have the file. The readme files on Screen's download page have some info about all of this. Tedious, I know. You need the firmware in the scanner to match the OS and SCSI card in use. I'll do a bit more looking.

nmauro32
10-Dec-2018, 16:21
Thank you for your help. I was given a pdf version of the fts5000 users manual which says that my error -2821 is not in the list and that I'll have to call the Screen Service. Offcourse Screen doesn't support this scanner anymore. Also I have the Apple G4 with OS 9.2 and my Screen Cezanne fts 5000 came with the Color Scope Pro 3. I do not have the Color Genius.

Peter De Smidt
11-Dec-2018, 07:38
I contacted Tony. He's traveling, but when he get's home, he'll repost the SCSI info.

nmauro32
11-Dec-2018, 17:18
The fact that I was given Color Scope 3 instead of Color Genius is it a problem? Do you know if the original software plus the manuals and some parts are sold by some people in this group or elsewhere?
Thank you.

TC542
12-Dec-2018, 08:03
The fact that I was given Color Scope 3 instead of Color Genius is it a problem? Do you know if the original software plus the manuals and some parts are sold by some people in this group or elsewhere?
Thank you.

Hi . . . I'm sure I have copies of the older, 'ColorScopePro' manuals . . . However, it would be much better for you to upgrade to 'ColorGenius' on your FT-S5000. However, You do have to ensure you have the correct Driver for your version of MacOS. . . . I will be putting this info on this link very soon . . Hopefully today . . . ;-)
BR, Tony

TC542
12-Dec-2018, 08:27
Hi All . . . I have been asked to resend files relating to the MacOS and SCSI cards for the FT-S5000 and FT-S5500 . . .
(Please read these carefully . . . It is not logical sometimes . . . (e.g.CG version and related driver info . . .Doh!!)
Hopefully this resolves some issues with the guys trying to upgrade.

Please see the attached . . . 185463185464185465

Once again . . If you are trying to reload CG or CSPro software . . Don't forget to remove all the SCREEN / CG / Driver info's in your MAC . . .
(I used to do a search for these titles beforehand . . . . )
I have included a file showing the Directory Structure . . This should be useful for the above issue . . . (Good luck . . ;-)
Regards,Tony

Peter De Smidt
12-Dec-2018, 15:39
Thanks, Tony!

nmauro32
12-Dec-2018, 18:34
Where can I find the upgrade for Color Genius? Thank you.

Corran
13-Dec-2018, 15:21
Thanks Tony. Is it okay if I download these files and host them from my page? They should be okay now that they are on the LFPF server instead of DropBox, but, who knows?

TC542
17-Dec-2018, 14:37
Thanks Tony. Is it okay if I download these files and host them from my page? They should be okay now that they are on the LFPF server instead of DropBox, but, who knows?

Okay by me to download these files . . . Seems like these sites are the only places to get decent info about the scanners . . . ;-)
Regards, Tony