PDA

View Full Version : Lubricant for Technika

Eric Rose
28-Mar-2009, 08:33
The focusing rails are getting a bit sticky so I need to clean them and then relube. I know there are lots of great lubes out there, but I am concerned about the off gassing of whatever lube I use and it's effects on the coating on my lenses. I generally leave a 150mm or 135mm on the camera all the time.

Any tried and true suggestions??

Eric

Chauncey Walden
28-Mar-2009, 09:11
Ice Wax for bicycle chains works great here, too.

Archphoto
28-Mar-2009, 09:18
Linhof sugests petroleum gelly, I like to use a lithium based grease.
Yamaha has a lithium based chain grease, I have not tried that, because it is not available here in Brazil.

Mobil has some good stuff, but hard to come by...
Mobilgrease 28 ask at your local airport hangar if they have some for you, bring a 35mm film holder with you.

Peter

Addition: lithium based grease hardly gas-out and do not attack the aluminium.
Mobilith SHC 460 is even better than Mobilgrease 28, but is available in large quantities only.

resummerfield
28-Mar-2009, 12:14
Linhof sugests petroleum gelly, I like to use a lithium based grease........
I had the same problem and called Martin at Marflex. As noted above, he suggested I use petroeum jelly, possibly with the slight addition of a drop of Nyoil, a light synthetic oil. It works fine for my camera.

I have had problems in the past with using a 'too thick" lube. Molly lube is much too think and almost locked up the rail. The lithium based greases I've used also seemed just a bit too thick.

My rails may be tighter fitting than others, so try different greases and see what works best. If what you use doesn't work well, just wipe it off and try something else.

kev curry
29-Mar-2009, 00:58
Ive found 'Silicone Spray' helps to keep the rails running smoothly. Its ''Colourless Odourless and Non Staining''. I spray it into the cap and apply with a cotton bud. I dont know anything about the possibility of ''off gassing'', It never even occurred to me! But I havent noticed any affect on my 180mm Symmar thats been permanently mounted on the camera for about 16 months. Silicone Spray is widely used in many service industries, including Hospitals and is 'considered to be safe' to be used in the maintainance of food industry machinery for food processing...if that means anything!

I realize your in Canada but heres some info on a product from 3M Scotch.

http://solutions.3m.co.uk/wps/portal/3M/en_GB/ElectricalMkts/ElectricalSupplies/ProductInfo/ECatalogue/aerosols/pmsprays/SiliconeSpray/?WT.srch=1&WT.mc_id=PPC_SiliconeSpray

Nathan Potter
29-Mar-2009, 09:56
I use Dow Corning silicone high vacuum grease for near zero outgassing. It's a bit thick in very cold weather and a bit runny in very hot weather but not really so different than other greases in extreme heat and cold.

Nate Potter, Austin TX.

Eric Rose
29-Mar-2009, 12:16
Thanks everyone. I have some great suggestions to work with. I think I will be heading out to the local airplane repair center and see what I can scam.

Robert A. Zeichner
29-Mar-2009, 13:22
I wonder how "Phil" cycle bearing grease would work. It seems to be about the viscosity of Petroleum Jelly but I believe would be less apt to migrate. Available in better bicycle shops. http://www.philwood.com/Phil%20Grease.htm

Archphoto
1-Apr-2009, 11:43
There is one other place you might give a try: micro-tools (http://www.micro-tools.com) , they have all kinds of things for maintenance, repair and overhoal.

Peter

Chauncey Walden
1-Apr-2009, 13:34
I don't think you want to use anything that will leave a sticky film to attract dirt/grit. This should rule out all greases and especially WD-40. The non-petroleum pure silicone mentioned might work, but not regular silicone sprays. That is what is good about the Ice Wax - it leaves a hard non sticky lubricant film. Nobody wants grit sticking to their bicycle chains to wear them out.