PDA

View Full Version : Alternative to caltar soft lens cap?

walter23
26-Mar-2009, 14:43
I have Caltar II N 90 and 210mm lenses; same as rodenstock grandagon 90/6.8 and sironar-N 210 / 5.6. Is there an alternative to the soft caps Caltar provided? I just noticed a couple of wispy marks on the coating of my caltar, which was previously completely blemish free, and while the marks aren't a big deal the only culprit I can think of is the soft cap bumping against the lens surface during transport.

Any alternatives that might work a bit better for me? I'm considering just buying a couple of cheap UV filters to cover the lenses during transport.

Thanks,
Walter

Frank Petronio
26-Mar-2009, 14:56
Just buy the plastic snap caps like your 35mm camera lenses use.

BrianShaw
26-Mar-2009, 15:25
The filter and cheap lens cap is probably the most cost-effective way to go. If you are Mr. Moneybags you might consider the hard (and expensive) lens caps made by SK Grimes.

walter23
26-Mar-2009, 15:32
My moneybags are full of sand. Think I'll just go with the cheapo filters.

Frank you're right; I guess I could try out snap-on lens caps like on my 35mm gear. I think I even have a 67mm one kicking around right now. I have this irrational fear that it'll pop off in transit and scratch my lens, but I'm not sure why - never had a problem with that on 35mm lenses.

BrianShaw
26-Mar-2009, 15:37
Be careful when you try a snap-cap. Some of them sit rather low in the opening... and some LF front lenses sit rather high.

Don Wilkes
27-Mar-2009, 11:49
Walter: Please let me know if you find something that works well and isn't too expensive. I have exactly the same lens, and would also like to replace the current soft caps...

\donw

David Karp
27-Mar-2009, 12:02
I use snap caps on my lenses. For the rear element, I use Kaiser push on caps if I have to buy new, or used Nikon push on caps that I purchased used. The Nikon caps are much stiffer. The Kaiser caps are good. Used Fuji push on caps would also be good.

walter23
27-Mar-2009, 13:12
Walter: Please let me know if you find something that works well and isn't too expensive. I have exactly the same lens, and would also like to replace the current soft caps...

\donw

Right now I'm thinking I'll buy a couple of cheap 67mm filters from ebay. There are hong-kong sellers selling sets of 2x 67mm UV filters for ~$10 including shipping. If the glass looks loose (looks like its just held with a flexible retaining ring - I've had a couple of filters like that and its not something I'd want bouncing around in my pack while attached to a lens) I'll take the glass right out and just use the filter frame as a barrel extension to push the plastic cap out a bit further from the lens. Should solve my possible problems.

Jim Cole
27-Mar-2009, 14:27
I have step-up rings on all my lenses to allow each of them to use 77mm filters and then use soft push on caps (usually Rodenstock, Schneider or Nikon). The step-up rings lift the cap a few mm higher above the glass for a little more safety margin and I haven't seen any cap caused smudges on my lenses. I also don't have to worry about a hard plastic cap coming off in transit and rubbing against my beautiful glass.