PDA

View Full Version : Mcq57 Canham With Digital Back?

psbjjb1
25-Mar-2009, 21:41
If someone could assist me with this I would be most appreciative. I have an MCQ57 that I'd like to get a 4x5 digital back for. I realize Keith Canham makes an adaptor for around $530.00. I know nothing regarding costs involved for a good 4x5 digital back or the best type to match with an MCQ57. Also what type of memory card would it accept? Again, if anyone has any knowledge re: this matter I'd be most grateful to hear your insights. Many thanks.

Gene McCluney
25-Mar-2009, 22:32
The ONLY digital back that is near the size of a 4x5 negative is a scanning back, such as those made by Betterlight. They average $8000 and up. They do not take a memory card, as they are teathered to a control box with an internal hard disk for storage, which is controlled by your computer.

All the other digital backs are really designed for medium-format cameras.

psbjjb1
26-Mar-2009, 04:32
Would you happen to know if Mamiya makes a digital back for their Mamiya 7 II? If so, is there a particular type that's considered high quality, but won't run me an arm and a leg?

Thanks so much

Ash
26-Mar-2009, 04:45
All digital backs are expensive. Even the older, out of date, slow, lower quality, etc, ones are all highly inflated in cost. Anything that is standalone and portable (ie handheld and takes a memory card) will cost you a remortgaging.

Clyde Rogers
26-Mar-2009, 05:48
Would you happen to know if Mamiya makes a digital back for their Mamiya 7 II? If so, is there a particular type that's considered high quality, but won't run me an arm and a leg?

Thanks so much

No digiback for the Mamiya 7 has happened yet, and due to physical constraints seems unlikely to ever happen.

Even an ancient functioning digital back costs at least an arm. Anything really fun to use costs at least an arm and and two legs.

--clyde

Roger Thoms
26-Mar-2009, 07:56
If you want to check out some work in large format with scanning backs here's a link for Stephen Johnson. He has been using a scanning back in the field for quite soon time. I have been to his gallery in Pacifica CA and his prints are quite impressive.
http://www.sjphoto.com/

Roger Thoms

psbjjb1
26-Mar-2009, 08:30
Wow......you guys are great! Thanks so much for the info. I think I'll stick with digitized film :) .

Take care.