PDA

View Full Version : Voightlander Euryscop

Neil Purling
25-Mar-2009, 07:05
What optical design was this lens?
I went to the Beck isle Museum of Rural Life in Pickering, N. Yorkshire (that's UK of course.
A local photographer and his work is prominently displayed. His equipment is tasty. I liked the 10x12 tailboard camera. He had a special tripod for this which was some 20ft tall, the photographer standing on a platform attached to it in order to work the camera.
He also had a box camera, which looked home made but had a monster 770mm Voightlander Euryscop. It is a impressive peice of brassware. If the camera was a 10x12 or a 8x10 the extra long focal length suggests a Petzval type using the centre sweet spot.

Jim Galli
25-Mar-2009, 07:19
What optical design was this lens?
I went to the Beck isle Museum of Rural Life in Pickering, N. Yorkshire (that's UK of course.
A local photographer and his work is prominently displayed. His equipment is tasty. I liked the 10x12 tailboard camera. He had a special tripod for this which was some 20ft tall, the photographer standing on a platform attached to it in order to work the camera.
He also had a box camera, which looked home made but had a monster 770mm Voightlander Euryscop. It is a impressive peice of brassware. If the camera was a 10x12 or a 8x10 the extra long focal length suggests a Petzval type using the centre sweet spot.

Neil,

The Voigtlander Euryscop is one of my favorite lenses. It was the name they used for their Rapid Rectilinear design, or Aplanat. There were several different 'Series' of Euryscop. Some were very fast for portraiture, some ordinary, and some wide angle. The 770mm one you mention was very likely the Series IV #7. It would have been somewhere around f8. They are remarkably sharp and contrasty and even the portrait version at f4 seems crisp across the plate with much less of the usual curved field effect usually associated with the RR design. When you look on the Ground Glass with one of these you wonder why we needed to progress any further. In fact imho the first Voigtlander Anastigmat, the Collinear isn't half the lens that the Euryscop was.