PDA

View Full Version : The Grange Prize - $50,000 for a Photographer !

Daniel Grenier
25-Mar-2009, 04:53
The Grange Prize, a Canadian based prize recognizing the work of an artist working in photography. Although mainly Canadian-centric, it is open to international photographers. This year there are 4 nominees - 2 Canadians, 2 Mexicans. One nominee might be familiar with the LF community. Lynn Cohen from Montreal has had many books and exhibits.

The "nifty" thing about this prize is how large the prize is. $50,000 is an awful lot of cash in this medium. Also of interest, the public can vote for their favourite photographer.

http://www.thegrangeprize.com/

Joe Forks
25-Mar-2009, 12:21
I'm loving Marco Cruz's work. Thanks for the link.

Best
Joe

walter23
25-Mar-2009, 15:45
I don't really get that Cohen stuff - does she set up those elaborate sets and photograph them, are they found places, or art exhibits she photographs, or what?

Toyon
25-Mar-2009, 17:51
Am I imagining this or are there two photographies. One is concerned with great imagery through experienced and inspired use of the medium. The second is art that uses photography to achieve a conceptual idea - but that rarely, if ever, achieves much of note according to the first criteria. The second "photography" seems much more favored by the gallery/museum/curatorial industrial complex.

claudiocambon
25-Mar-2009, 18:03
I'm loving Marco Cruz's work. Thanks for the link.

Best
Joe

Ditto!

Lee Hamiel
25-Mar-2009, 18:59
Thanks for the link

I'm all for Marco Antonio Cruz's work as well

Daniel Grenier
26-Mar-2009, 05:11
I don't really get that Cohen stuff - does she set up those elaborate sets and photograph them, are they found places, or art exhibits she photographs, or what?

No set up at all, actually. They do look made up and fake but nope... all found subjects. What I don't know is how, excatly, she finds all these odd ball rooms and spaces.

cobalt
26-Mar-2009, 05:44
Cruz=spectacular.